Covered Call Picks (OSG,BMRN,FB,NSM,SODA)
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|OSG||Overseas Shipholding Group Inc||3.54||4||0.3||8.50%||November 2012|
|BMRN||BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc||42.8||43||3.6||8.40%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19||19||1.5||7.60%||November 2012|
|NSM||Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc||33.7||35||2.4||7.00%||November 2012|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||39.1||40||2.2||5.60%||November 2012|
Overseas Shipholding Group Inc (OSG) is currently trading at $3.54. Its 52 week range is between $3.13 and $15.16.
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc (BMRN) is currently trading at $42.82. Its 52 week range is between $30.06 and $44.18.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $18.98. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc (NSM) is currently trading at $33.7. Its 52 week range is between $13 and $37.2.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $39.05. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $48.13.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Can Two Senators End “Too Big to Fail?” | Financial Sense
- What Could End the Rally in U.S. High-Yield Credit? | Financial Sense
- Europe's Quantitative Easing | ZeroHedge
- Japanese Corporates Are Not Yen Bears (any more) | ZeroHedge
- "Terminal State Of Broken" | ZeroHedge
- Financial Euphoria | Financial Sense
- Spot The Bubble: Average New Home Price Soars By Most Ever In One Month To All Time High | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 Memorial Day Getaways That Aren't On The Beach | Business Insider
- HOUSE OF THE DAY: Ellen DeGeneres And Portia De Rossi Bought A Stunning... | Business Insider
- SocGen: There's 'Simply No Growth Recovery' In China | Business Insider
- Moms Are Power Users Of Social Media On Mobile | Business Insider
- 5 Important Economic Reports Are Coming | Business Insider
- The Unstoppable Rise Of Mobile Commerce | Business Insider
- Target Lowers Full-Year Outlook, Shares Fall | TheStreet.com