Covered Call Picks (OSG,BMRN,FB,NSM,SODA)
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|OSG||Overseas Shipholding Group Inc||3.54||4||0.3||8.50%||November 2012|
|BMRN||BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc||42.8||43||3.6||8.40%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19||19||1.5||7.60%||November 2012|
|NSM||Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc||33.7||35||2.4||7.00%||November 2012|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||39.1||40||2.2||5.60%||November 2012|
Overseas Shipholding Group Inc (OSG) is currently trading at $3.54. Its 52 week range is between $3.13 and $15.16.
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc (BMRN) is currently trading at $42.82. Its 52 week range is between $30.06 and $44.18.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $18.98. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc (NSM) is currently trading at $33.7. Its 52 week range is between $13 and $37.2.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $39.05. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $48.13.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- South Korea Unveils It's Own Air Defense Zone, Overlapping China's And Japan's | ZeroHedge
- The Hunger for Munger | iBankCoin.com
- Great Graphic: Eurozone Output PMI and GDP | Financial Sense
- Daily Market Recap | Financial Sense
- 2 Unicorns For Sale - $930,000; Must Go Together | ZeroHedge
- Special Order Types and Exchange Blathering | ZeroHedge
- Sunday Morning Charts | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The World Gathers In South Africa To Celebrate Nelson Mandela | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- US Set To Adopt New Rules To Reduce Risky Bank Trading | Business Insider
- Denver Broncos Kicker Makes The Longest Field Goal In NFL History | Business Insider
- CHART OF THE DAY: Brands Are Picking Instagram For... | Business Insider
- The Global Economy In Two Lines | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek