Covered Call Picks (OSG,BMRN,FB,NSM,SODA)
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|OSG||Overseas Shipholding Group Inc||3.54||4||0.3||8.50%||November 2012|
|BMRN||BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc||42.8||43||3.6||8.40%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19||19||1.5||7.60%||November 2012|
|NSM||Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc||33.7||35||2.4||7.00%||November 2012|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||39.1||40||2.2||5.60%||November 2012|
Overseas Shipholding Group Inc (OSG) is currently trading at $3.54. Its 52 week range is between $3.13 and $15.16.
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc (BMRN) is currently trading at $42.82. Its 52 week range is between $30.06 and $44.18.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $18.98. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc (NSM) is currently trading at $33.7. Its 52 week range is between $13 and $37.2.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $39.05. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $48.13.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is the Dollar’s Major Bull Run Over? | Financial Sense
- Podcast: Quantum Computing Takes Flight | Financial Sense
- Is Wall Street Cyber Secure? | Financial Sense
- THe BuTT oF HiS OWN JoKe... | ZeroHedge
- Consensus Forming: China Heading Back Into Financial Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Still Looks Like A Trap | ZeroHedge
- Sparks Fly In German Press As Treatment Of Muslims Hits "Gunpoint" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Stephen Curry says his chances of playing in Game 3 are 'pretty good... | Business Insider
- A prisoner revolt has reportedly broken out at Syria's Hama jail | Business Insider
- A hotel in Chile features the world's largest swimming pool | Business Insider
- The biggest change in fast food isn't about food — and it should terrify... | Business Insider
- The FBI is hunting for a man who poured suspicious liquid on Whole... | Business Insider
- An HGTV star who's invested in over 100 properties... | Business Insider
- These hilarious memes perfectly capture what it... | Business Insider