Covered Call Picks (OSG,BMRN,FB,NSM,SODA)
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|OSG||Overseas Shipholding Group Inc||3.54||4||0.3||8.50%||November 2012|
|BMRN||BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc||42.8||43||3.6||8.40%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19||19||1.5||7.60%||November 2012|
|NSM||Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc||33.7||35||2.4||7.00%||November 2012|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||39.1||40||2.2||5.60%||November 2012|
Overseas Shipholding Group Inc (OSG) is currently trading at $3.54. Its 52 week range is between $3.13 and $15.16.
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc (BMRN) is currently trading at $42.82. Its 52 week range is between $30.06 and $44.18.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $18.98. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc (NSM) is currently trading at $33.7. Its 52 week range is between $13 and $37.2.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $39.05. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $48.13.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Japan's "Over 65" Rise To Record 33 Million, More Than Double Number Of Children | ZeroHedge
- One Last Look At The Real Economy Before It Implodes - Part 5 | ZeroHedge
- Bottled Up Nitroglycerine | iBankCoin.com
- What Bernanke's New Employer Had To Say About Him Just 2 Years Ago | ZeroHedge
- Modern-Day Monetary Cranks and the Fed's "Inflation" Target | ZeroHedge
- Why Russia Will Send More Troops to Central Asia | Financial Sense
- SCeNe ON SKYPe... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Neil deGrasse Tyson strives to live his life by these 3 rules | Business Insider
- There's very little drama left in the Premier League with 6 games to... | Business Insider
- Mother of lifeless child in the iconic photo from the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing... | Business Insider
- 11 reasons this is a terrible résumé for a recent college grad | Business Insider
- US seeking to allay Gulf fears amid regional chaos | Business Insider
- The iPhone 6 Plus is my favorite computer (AAPL) | Business Insider