Covered Call Picks (OSG,BMRN,FB,NSM,SODA)
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|OSG||Overseas Shipholding Group Inc||3.54||4||0.3||8.50%||November 2012|
|BMRN||BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc||42.8||43||3.6||8.40%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19||19||1.5||7.60%||November 2012|
|NSM||Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc||33.7||35||2.4||7.00%||November 2012|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||39.1||40||2.2||5.60%||November 2012|
Overseas Shipholding Group Inc (OSG) is currently trading at $3.54. Its 52 week range is between $3.13 and $15.16.
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc (BMRN) is currently trading at $42.82. Its 52 week range is between $30.06 and $44.18.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $18.98. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc (NSM) is currently trading at $33.7. Its 52 week range is between $13 and $37.2.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $39.05. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $48.13.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Newly Published Clinton Email Reveals How Government Manipulates Media | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Reading: Capacious Cognitions | ZeroHedge
- The Farce Is Complete: Stocks Soar Most In 4 Years As US Job Market Disintegrates | ZeroHedge
- What's The Worst That Could Happen? | ZeroHedge
- The Unwind Of QE Means The "S&P Should Be Trading At Half Of Its Value", Deutsche Bank Warns | ZeroHedge
- Bill Ackman's Pershing Square Plunges Over 20% In Past Two Months, Loses Nearly $4 Billion In AUM | ZeroHedge
- What If Expectations Of Our Central Bankers Are Simply Too High? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Rangers dismiss staffer for tweeting 'Fire Charlie' | Business Insider
- GOP's Carson says 'no' to Syrian refugees in US | Business Insider
- Keller, Schmid, Myernick enter National Soccer Hall of... | Business Insider
- Glencore had a crazy week — here's what analysts made of it | Business Insider
- Angels score 5 in 9th, beat Rangers 11-10 | Business Insider
- Oregon gunman was Army dropout who studied mass shooters | Business Insider
- Missouri governor commutes sentence for condemned man | Business Insider