Covered Call Picks (OSG,BMRN,FB,NSM,SODA)
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|OSG||Overseas Shipholding Group Inc||3.54||4||0.3||8.50%||November 2012|
|BMRN||BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc||42.8||43||3.6||8.40%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19||19||1.5||7.60%||November 2012|
|NSM||Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc||33.7||35||2.4||7.00%||November 2012|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||39.1||40||2.2||5.60%||November 2012|
Overseas Shipholding Group Inc (OSG) is currently trading at $3.54. Its 52 week range is between $3.13 and $15.16.
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc (BMRN) is currently trading at $42.82. Its 52 week range is between $30.06 and $44.18.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $18.98. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Nationstar Mortgage Holdings Inc (NSM) is currently trading at $33.7. Its 52 week range is between $13 and $37.2.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $39.05. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $48.13.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Average Hedge Fund Is Down -1% YTD, And The Redemption Requests Are Now Flooding In | ZeroHedge
- FORTY BASIS POINTS | iBankCoin.com
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- Speaker Boehner's Response To Obama's Executive Action: "Acting Like A Teenager" | ZeroHedge
- The S&P's GAAP P/E Ratio Rises Above 19X | ZeroHedge
- Futures Soar On Surprise Chinese Rate Cut | ZeroHedge
- Dr. Gary Small on "The Alzheimer's Prevention Program" | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- An Intercepted Conversation Led To One Of The... | Business Insider
- Don't Listen To The Haters — Here's Why 'Friendsgiving' Is Awesome | Business Insider
- REVEALED: The Top Demographic Trends For Every Major Social Network | Business Insider
- Stewart Butterfield Says His Insanely Popular App Slack Is 'Terrible... | Business Insider
- The 9 Weirdest Thanksgiving Items Being Sold On eBay | Business Insider
- All Blacks in quest to continue Wales domination | Business Insider
- Obama tells Ferguson residents to 'keep protests... | Business Insider