Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fed Exit a Blue Pill? | Financial Sense
- I OFFER YOU A RARE GIFT | iBankCoin.com
- Moscow Stock Exchange Breaks - Trading Halted | ZeroHedge
- Energy Myths and Conspiracy Theories | Financial Sense
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- "Three Lost Decades" – How The American Middle Class Is 20% Poorer Now Vs. 1984 | ZeroHedge
- Don’t Mind This Junk Buried in the Trunk | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Facebook Made The Tiniest Design Change To Its Website — See If You Can Even Spot It | Business Insider
- The NFL's Drug Testing Policy Is Completely Ridiculous | Business Insider
- France's Largest Bank Posts Massive Loss After... | Business Insider
- LEAKED: Samsung's Metal Galaxy Phone Is Probably Coming Next Week | Business Insider
- ALAN GREENSPAN: 'We Are Running Out Of Buffer In The Economy... | Business Insider
- Why Amazon Needs Drones More Than People Realize (AMZN) | Business Insider