Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- New American Dream: Rented Housing and Public Transit | Financial Sense
- HAPPY HALLOWEEN | iBankCoin.com
- Oil Breaks Below $80 | Financial Sense
- Stocks Are On Borrowed Time | ZeroHedge
- Kill The Shorts | iBankCoin.com
- 100% of Mainstream Interest Rate Theory Is Wrong | Financial Sense
- S&P 500 Spikes To Record High - How It Got There | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Untapable wins Breeders' Cup Distaff | Business Insider
- Dear Business Insider Readers: How Do You Use Your Different Devices? | Business Insider
- Burkina opposition slams army 'coup' | Business Insider
- Rand Paul Explains Why The GOP Brand 'Sucks'... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Trent Reznor Is Working On A Top Secret Apple Project (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Police In Germany Are Trying To Stop Armed Warfare Between Rival... | Business Insider