Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Frontrunning: March 28 | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: March 29 | ZeroHedge
- "The End Of Truth" - Hayek Saw It All Coming Over 70 Years Ago | ZeroHedge
- Republican Controlled House Committee Passes Measure to Audit the Fed | ZeroHedge
- House Committee Passes Bill To "Audit The Fed" | ZeroHedge
- Global Stocks, S&P Futures Little Changed On Brexit Day | ZeroHedge
- Russian Billionaire Blasts AP's "Malicious Lies" Over Manafort Accusations | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here are all 44 movie sequels and reboots coming out in 2017 | Business Insider
- You won’t recognize the new world of digital payments without... | Business Insider
- The 7 wireless tech gadgets I use every day | Business Insider
- The French presidential campaign is a terrifying... | Business Insider
- Bill O'Reilly apologizes after saying congresswoman had a 'James Brown wig' | Business Insider
- Apple says it found one underage worker building Apple products... | Business Insider
- The Kremlin and the White House have conflicting accounts of Jared Kushner's... | Business Insider