Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Back From Never Gone: CURRENCY WARS | ZeroHedge
- JPMorgan Explains What Causes The Market's 3:30pm Ramp | ZeroHedge
- Interest Rate Differentials Increasing Financial Market Leverage To Unsustainable Levels | ZeroHedge
- Reddit Caught Censoring Posts Using The Term “Rothschild” | ZeroHedge
- Starbucks' 'Brand Perception' Takes A Massive Hit After Announcing Plans To Hire 10,000 Refugees | ZeroHedge
- Is The US Restaurant Recession Becoming Structural? | ZeroHedge
- Armed Man With A Knife Rams Car Into Pedestrians In Heidelberg; Attacker Shot By Police | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A 26-year-old CEO and former Googler breaks down the worst job hunting... | Business Insider
- Berkshire Hathaway profits jump 15% (BRKA, BRKB) | Business Insider
- A college reversed its decision to suspend a student who... | Business Insider
- Attorney General Sessions has said 'good people don... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- UPDATE: White House denies report that it... | Business Insider
- A founder who sold... | Business Insider