Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 1 In 5 US Stocks Now In Bear Market | ZeroHedge
- It’s All About the Fed Today | Financial Sense
- How A Chinese Farmer Lost More Than Everything Trading Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Obama: "I Think I’m A Pretty Good President. I Think If I Ran Again, I Could Win" | ZeroHedge
- New Weather Software Could Be A Game-Changer For Solar and Wind | Financial Sense
- Crude Surges After Surprise Inventory Draw, Biggest Production Decline Since 2013 | ZeroHedge
- Twitter Surges, Then Fades After Hours On User Growth Confusion: The Full Quarter In 6 Charts | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- One killer stat shows why London's property market is so... | Business Insider
- The real reason why the US Treasury took over Fannie... | Business Insider
- Ennis-Hill ready for World Championships in Beijing | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Here's what you get when you pay $100 to hack your body | Business Insider
- British spies are... | Business Insider
- Two top Twitter execs just jumped ship (TWTR) | Business Insider