Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap November 25, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- STTG Market Recap November 26, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Misery Mounts As Airline Delays & Cancellations Surge On East Coast | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- "Gold Is A 6,000 Year Old Bubble" - Citi's Dutch Strategist Throws Up All Over Gold, Days After Dutch Gold Repatriation | ZeroHedge
- Housing Data Broadly Mixed | Financial Sense
- Are Low Rates Responsible for High Valuations | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 20 College Majors That Lead To The Most Satisfying Careers... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Microsoft Accidentally Announced That It's Acquiring... | Business Insider
- How 4 Minutes Of CGI Dinosaurs In ‘Jurassic Park’ Took A Year To Make | Business Insider
- Uber's Android App May Be Collecting An Alarming Amount Of Your Personal Data... | Business Insider
- This Is How Google Actually Decides Who To Hire (GOOG) | Business Insider
- BOB LUTZ: Wall Street Analysts Don't Understand The... | Business Insider