Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Invisible Solar Cells to Harvest Free Energy Everywhere | Financial Sense
- Saudi Arabia and Iran Compete in Yemen | Financial Sense
- Big Four Economic Indicators Weaken – Weather or Recession? | Financial Sense
- "We're Just One Archduke Away..." | ZeroHedge
- De-Dollarization Continues As Russia Seeks AIIB Membership | ZeroHedge
- Crude Oil Inventories Should Peak Soon | Financial Sense
- The Quiet Before the Storm | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Swiss private bank UBP buys international arm of Coutts | Business Insider
- Google fires back at the Wall Street Journal over... | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Apple Watch app developers are facing a load of... | Business Insider
- Clarke quits as Australia, New Zealand eye World Cup title... | Business Insider
- The truth about how often you should wash your hair, according to science | Business Insider
- Russia 'to join China-led development bank' | Business Insider