Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Smart People Listen To Radiohead, Dumb People Listen To Beyoncé, Study Finds | ZeroHedge
- This Is How Caterpillar Just Blew Away Q3 Earnings | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- Five Stocks Playing Strong Hands Today | iBankCoin.com
- No Hard-Landing for China’s Economy for Now | Financial Sense
- Yale Researcher: 12% Of Liberia's Most Populous County May Have Ebola By December 15 | ZeroHedge
- "Warning Signs" & The Fed's Grand Illusion | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Microsoft Reveals Total Xbox Sales For Last Quarter (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Amazon's Plunging Stock Price Could Present a Buying Opportunity | TheStreet.com
- Facebook's Newest App Wants To Make Old-School Internet Forums Sexy... | Business Insider
- The 4 Most Common Negotiation Mistakes — And How To Avoid Them | Business Insider
- I Don't Know What Caterpillar Said In Its Earnings Video Because Of All Of The... | Business Insider
- Brooklyn Bowling Alley Shuts Down Because Ebola... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek