Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Exposing The "Fake News" Censorship Industry | ZeroHedge
- US Banks: Higher Rates Vs. Weaker Loan Growth | Financial Sense
- El-Erian Warns "Investors Are Underestimating Sudden Policy Shifts" | ZeroHedge
- Why Davos CEOs Think They Have Control Over Trump | ZeroHedge
- Trump Warns "We Are Going To Be Imposing A Very Major Border Tax", Will "Cut Regulations By 75%" | ZeroHedge
- Donald Trump, Betsy DeVos and School Choice | Financial Sense
- May Answers the Big Brexit Question | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tesla's Autopilot investigation could change the nature of... | Business Insider
- Iran was caught importing potentially banned missile... | Business Insider
- This fried chicken restaurant has just 3 menu items — and San Franciscans... | Business Insider
- Trump's biggest campaign promises are about to face a 'Day... | Business Insider
- Here's what happened to sea levels the last... | Business Insider
- Trump Press Secretary berates media, makes dubious... | Business Insider
- Here's exactly what to say when you have to let someone go | Business Insider