Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Q1 Earnings in Focus | Financial Sense
- Ukraine Tanks Stopped By Unarmed Woman | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Why The West's Financial Warfare Against Russia May Lead To The Real Thing | ZeroHedge
- The Market Is Too Dependent on Hopes That Await Evidence | Financial Sense
- The Real 'Reset' Button | ZeroHedge
- U.S. to Foreign Officials: Stop Buying U.S. Treasuries | Financial Sense
- Does the U.S. Have the Highest Corporate Tax Rates in the World? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Nissan Turns Up the Heat in the Electric Car Race | TheStreet.com
- 11 Scientific Reasons Dogs Are Better Than Cats | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- Singer Lawsuit Is Tied To Marc Collins-Rector, Infamous Child Abuser Of... | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- Italy Is Selling Off This Very Creepy 'Haunted' Island In Venice | Business Insider
- Why You Should Plug Into General Electric | TheStreet.com