Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 6 Dead After Gunman Storms Saudi Education Department | ZeroHedge
- Scope For Gold To Extend Much Higher Than $1200 Over Time, Goldman Says | ZeroHedge
- Top US Official Admits Government Will Use "Internet Of Things" To Spy On The Public | ZeroHedge
- HSBC Cancels Pay Freeze After Two Weeks Following "Staff Revolt" | ZeroHedge
- Is This The Biggest Crisis In History? | ZeroHedge
- Jeff Gundlach: Gold To $1,400 As Faith In Central Banks Is Lost | ZeroHedge
- EIA Inventory Report and Oil Market Analysis 2 10 2016 (Video) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Consumer Reports found a bunch of problems with one of Tesla's... | Business Insider
- One of the most lethal... | Business Insider
- The US is very worried about the payload delivered by North Korea's... | Business Insider
- This could be one of the best ways to fight... | Business Insider
- Meryl Streep responds to movie diversity backlash: 'We're all Africans really... | Business Insider
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu wants to build a wall... | Business Insider
- ‘Star Wars’ producers charged in U.K. over Harrison Ford... | Business Insider