Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Strategy for the Dump in Gold | iBankCoin.com
- Peter Thiel "Fixes" America's Anti-Business Policies In 6 Words | ZeroHedge
- Vegas Baby! | iBankCoin.com
- Syria Is 7th (Muslim) Country Bombed By 2009 Nobel Peace Prize Winner | ZeroHedge
- Actionable Trading Ideas | iBankCoin.com
- Futures Slide As Overnight Bad News Is Actually Bad News | ZeroHedge
- Can the Economy Withstand Another Housing Breakdown? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ebola cases to explode without drastic action: WHO | Business Insider
- Kurzweil: Solar Energy Will Be Unlimited And Free In 20 Years | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell | Business Insider
- How The 'Avengers' Director Saved ’Toy Story’ From An Unwatchable Early Script... | Business Insider
- ROSENBERG: There's A Better Way To Trade Global Instability Than By Buying... | Business Insider
- Tesco Shares Are Getting Punished (TSCO) | Business Insider
- Step Inside The Lower East Side Bakery That Infuses Alcohol Into Its... | Business Insider