Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Vice Spending Slows, Unless You’ve Got the Herb | Financial Sense
- Employment Data Shows Recession at Least One Year Away | Financial Sense
- President Obama And Italian PM Renzi Explain How "The Crisis Has Passed" - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Housing Starts And Permits Miss Badly As "Warm Weather" Rebound Fails To Materialize | ZeroHedge
- The ECB Is Considering A Parallel Greek Currency | ZeroHedge
- Slight Production Declines Hide Bigger Oil Storage Issues | ZeroHedge
- Signs That 'The Elites' Are Feverishly Preparing For Something Big | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Morgan Stanley analyst is impressed by new Ford... | Business Insider
- Anderson breaks Botham's English wicket record | Business Insider
- Pre-Open... | StreetInsider.com
- Stocks are getting destroyed (DIA, SPX, SPY, USD, EUR, GREK) | Business Insider
- Carmakers race to China auto show despite market slowdown... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com
- S. Korea president says sunken Sewol ferry will be raised... | Business Insider