Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trader Exclaims "Markets Are In An Alternate Universe" | ZeroHedge
- France: Decomposing In Front Of Our Eyes | ZeroHedge
- Boom and Bust | Financial Sense
- Why Is China So Upset About Trump’s Taiwan Call – And Could It Lead to War? | Financial Sense
- ECB Preview: The Market's All-In But "There's A Significant Chance Draghi Disappoints" | ZeroHedge
- Northwest Braces For "Polar Plunge" As Temps Expected To Fall 35 Degrees Below Average | ZeroHedge
- Mallaby knives Greenspan following gold comments | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 8 great tech gifts for the kid in your life | Business Insider
- Matt Lauer asks Trump if he's... | Business Insider
- BILL GROSS: The world's growing debt problem is just like the US... | Business Insider
- Goldman Sachs is responsible for a massive... | Business Insider
- US wage growth points to an economy still in recovery | Business Insider
- Here's what happens to you when a cobra snake bites | Business Insider
- A startup that's developed an anti-aging supplement... | Business Insider