Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chart Surfing | iBankCoin.com
- The Truce Is Over: Ukraine President Urges Restart Of Military Action | ZeroHedge
- Testosterone in the Financial Markets | ZeroHedge
- Fallout from the Late-Winter Red | iBankCoin.com
- Second US Warship Enters Black Sea To "Promote Peace And Stability" | ZeroHedge
- Late-Cycle Leaders: Please Do Look at Them in a Vacuum | iBankCoin.com
- "Faith" In One Chart | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Double-Breasted Suit Is Back For Spring — Here's How Guys Should Wear It... | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- A Beloved Silicon Valley Startup Is Under Fire For The Way A Female Employee Was Treated — The... | Business Insider
- Tim Cook Reveals His Vision For Apple In A Moving Video (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- CHART OF THE DAY: The Escalating Dangerous Game Of Military Chicken Between China And Japan... | Business Insider