Covered Call Picks (ALXA,VHC,MCP,ANR,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.11||5.5||1.6||30.30%||December 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||32||5.6||18.10%||December 2012|
|MCP||Molycorp Inc||10.9||11||1.2||10.80%||December 2012|
|ANR||Alpha Natural Resources Inc||8.43||9||0.9||10.20%||December 2012|
|LEAP||Leap Wireless International Inc||5.5||6||0.5||9.80%||December 2012|
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.11. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $31.01. Its 52 week range is between $16.59 and $41.93.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $10.93. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
Alpha Natural Resources Inc (ANR) is currently trading at $8.43. Its 52 week range is between $5.28 and $29.29.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $5.5. Its 52 week range is between $4.28 and $11.3.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Black Hope Matters | ZeroHedge
- Q2 GDP Advance Estimate: A Major Downside Surprise | Financial Sense
- Pokemon 'No': Nintendo Suffers Worst Week In 27 Years | ZeroHedge
- Three Steps To Reverse A "Doomsday" Clock | ZeroHedge
- Previewing The BOJ's Decision: What Wall Street Expects Will Happen | ZeroHedge
- Exposing Hillbama's Big Lie: The Central Issue In The U.S. Presidential Campaign | ZeroHedge
- Charting The Difference Between The Original And Revised GDP | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Democrats' message: We're the only party left for grown-ups | Business Insider
- The 12 most popular on-screen presidents of all time, ranked | Business Insider
- The Marines are looking to take on special operations missions in... | Business Insider
- The Russians just gave the Syrian Air Force 10 new jets | Business Insider
- The truth about the 'dorms for adults' that $16 billion WeWork is betting its... | Business Insider
- 10 million self-driving cars will be on the road by... | Business Insider
- China says it will press ahead with its own anti-missile system... | Business Insider