Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A June Fed Funds Rate Hike Risks a September Economic Stall | Financial Sense
- Disruptors of Financial Technology | ZeroHedge
- “Road Trains” Are Ready: Who Wins, and Who Loses? | Financial Sense
- Prescription Pain-Killers: "Far Riskier" Than Gun Ownership | ZeroHedge
- Dramatic Time-Lapse Animation Showing America's Absurd Million Dollar Home Bubbles | ZeroHedge
- Hedge Fund CIO Explains Why Most Missed The Oil Rally | ZeroHedge
- Negative Interest Rates Means Passive Capital Must Incur Huge Losses in a Crash Scenario (Video) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A manhunt is underway for the suspect in a Massachusetts cop killing | Business Insider
- Stop what you're doing and watch these classic movies before they leave Netflix... | Business Insider
- A former Goldman Sachs chairman has some apocalyptic predictions about the... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Many 20-somethings share a characteristic... | Business Insider
- 'Preacher' shocked viewers by making Tom Cruise explode — here's where they got... | Business Insider
- The stock market's last line of defense is giving way | Business Insider