Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 7 Murders In Chicago's Deadliest Day Of 2017 As Trump Tweets "Totally Out Of Control" | ZeroHedge
- Why Not Replace Bureaucrats with Robots? | Financial Sense
- In Latest "Military Escalation" China Prepares Deployment Of SAM Batteries On South China Sea Islands | ZeroHedge
- Earnings Provide Foundational Value | Financial Sense
- RBC Warns "Seeing Clear Signs Of 'Reflation Trade' Unwinds" | ZeroHedge
- How Tennessee Could Be About To Start A Constitutional Crisis | ZeroHedge
- SAUT: Fade the Fed, Markets Now Dependent on Fiscal Policy | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How drinking Guinness with Biz Stone launched one of the... | Business Insider
- The sudden break-up between SI.com and one of its affiliates shows the ugly side of sports... | Business Insider
- The No. 1 behavior to avoid when talking to your kids... | Business Insider
- The 10 best cities to buy a rental property if you want to make extra money... | Business Insider
- Carl Icahn just jumped into a $90 billion drug maker, and people... | Business Insider
- A hedge fund millionaire took a stand for his anti-Trump beliefs, and he could... | Business Insider
- Congress' proposal to gut card swipe fee reform is... | Business Insider