Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- SNL Mocks Third Presidential Debate; Trump Silent On Twitter | ZeroHedge
- "I Went To A Wells Fargo Branch... And This Is What Happened Next" | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Home Prices Surge Most On Record, Ignore "Cooling" Measures | ZeroHedge
- How Dylan Stole The Nobel Prize And You Can Too | Altucher Confidential
- An Establishment In Panic | ZeroHedge
- "It's Really Broken" - Divergences & Decouplings Dominate Week In Stocks, Bonds, FX | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Industrial Production Rises Slightly | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 17 historical photos that show how the wealthy traveled in the early... | Business Insider
- THE INSURTECH REPORT: How financial technology firms are helping — and disrupting —... | Business Insider
- Credit cards are going the way of fax machines | Business Insider
- There's a good reason 'The Walking Dead' creator... | Business Insider
- These are the 10 best everyday exercises for burning calories | Business Insider
- Why a 'horror documentary' about rats by Morgan Spurlock is the scariest... | Business Insider
- Everything you wanted to know about chatbots but were... | Business Insider