Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Scariest Number For The Oil Industry: $550 Billion | ZeroHedge
- Silver Is Soaring | ZeroHedge
- Plotting the Fed’s Baby Step 1/8 Point Hikes; Yellen vs. Greenspan “Measured Pace” | Financial Sense
- China's Great Wall Of Worry - Goldman Warns China Options Signal Caution Ahead | ZeroHedge
- Why Biden Would Be a TERRIBLE President | ZeroHedge
- HFTs Are Overheating: CenturyLink Reports "Catastrophic" HVAC Failure At NJ2 Data Center, Starting "Safe Shut Down" | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: The Donald Exposed (A Reality Check For Trumpeteers) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Serena chases calendar Slam, history at US Open | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Obama Foundation begins search for Chicago library... | Business Insider
- A supermoon will appear this Saturday | Business Insider
- Stereophonics stay true to their roots with new album | Business Insider
- European stock markets are tumbling | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek