Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Risk? Post-Brexit VIX Crash Is Greatest Ever | ZeroHedge
- Explaining The Latest Chaos In UK Politics | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Reading: Bre-lief? | ZeroHedge
- Two Warning Signs That This Bounce is Not to Be trusted | ZeroHedge
- FEMA Contractor: Unrest After 395% Food Price Spike Coming Soon | ZeroHedge
- "Off The Grid" Indicators Reveal True State Of U.S. Economy | ZeroHedge
- Dr. Keith Barron on Helicopter Drops, Gold, and Brexit | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This is how big an asteroid would need to be to wipe out New York City | Business Insider
- The 15 highest-grossing animated movies of all time | Business Insider
- The 9 most common job application mistakes | Business Insider
- Messaging apps are now bigger than social networks | Business Insider
- 25 book recommendations from some of the smartest people in... | Business Insider
- Fully understand the IoT with this report | Business Insider
- The Clippers are reportedly trying to lure Kevin Durant with a... | Business Insider