Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Four More Mega-Banks Join The Anti-Dollar Alliance | ZeroHedge
- Kurt Kallaus: Slow Growth Persists but US Recession Likely Still Years Away | Financial Sense
- Another Cog In The Exploding Resentment Wheel | ZeroHedge
- Buy Gold's August Dip? Gold's Monthly Sweet Spot In September as Chaotic Election Looms | ZeroHedge
- France: The Religious War Few Wish To Face | ZeroHedge
- Martin Armstrong: "They Will Rig The Game... They Can't Afford A Trump Victory" | ZeroHedge
- Bernie Loving, Student Loan-Crushed Millennials, Rush To Support Hillary | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- John McCain's Arizona primary challenger wants to 'give him the gift of... | Business Insider
- BuzzFeed draws a line between church and state | Business Insider
- The Philippines' president is accusing... | Business Insider
- 'She's a bigot' — Watch Trump slam... | Business Insider
- We tried the mushroom coffee that claims to increase... | Business Insider
- CHATBOTS EXPLAINED: Why... | Business Insider
- This is the state of the global ad economy so far this year... | Business Insider