Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is the Student Loan Bubble Getting Ready to Pop? | Financial Sense
- Leon Tuey: Secular Bull Market Has Years Left to Run | Financial Sense
- Oil Prices Spike as OPEC Reaches Deal on Production Cut | Financial Sense
- The VIX FOMC Setup (Video) | ZeroHedge
- White Anger: Fed Helped Elect Trump; Tale of Two Job Markets | Financial Sense
- Website Raising Money To Fund Assassinations Of Trump, Pence Uncovered On "Dark Web" | ZeroHedge
- Students Demand "Sanctuary" From Immigration Laws, Student Loan Debt, And Finals | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 11 psychological tricks to save more and spend less... | Business Insider
- 17 holiday gift sets that don’t feel thrown together | Business Insider
- The campaign promise Congress won't let Trump keep | Business Insider
- Watch a US-led coalition airstrike knock out an ISIS headquarters near the... | Business Insider
- TRUMP: 'We have to look' at trade 'almost as a war' | Business Insider
- PAUL RYAN: Reaction to Trump's call with Taiwanese president is 'much ado about... | Business Insider
- Google's new WiFi routers are cheaper than other systems, but not as good (GOOG)... | Business Insider