Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ISIS Oil Trade Full Frontal: "Raqqa's Rockefellers", Bilal Erdogan, KRG Crude, And The Israel Connection | ZeroHedge
- The Unintended Consequences Of 'Lift-Off' In A World Of Excess Reserves | ZeroHedge
- Swiss Bank Hits Customers With Negative Interest Rates; Crazy? What About Velocity? | Financial Sense
- What Does History Say About the First Rate Hike and Stocks? | Financial Sense
- Can The Oil Industry Really Handle This Much Debt? | ZeroHedge
- Europe's Black Weekend | ZeroHedge
- European HIV Infections Hit Record High, CDC Blames "Migrants And Refugees" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The single biggest way shoppers are being manipulated (RTH, XRT, WMT,... | Business Insider
- Adele's '25' sells record-breaking 3.38 million... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (AMZN,... | Business Insider
- What everyone involved in the Syria conflict wants in one giant slide | Business Insider
- Before-and-after photos of China's air show just how terrible its air pollution is | Business Insider
- High stakes for Baltimore as Freddie Gray trials begin | Business Insider
- Queen Elizabeth II wraps up nostalgic Malta trip | Business Insider