Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Sell, Sell, Sell... The Central Bank Madmen Are Raging | ZeroHedge
- The Best And Worst Performing Assets During Thanksgiving Week | ZeroHedge
- Gold Jumps Above $1200 on China Rate Cut; Draghi Vows “More Inflation” | Financial Sense
- Markets Rally on Surprise Easing by China | Financial Sense
- Housing Data Broadly Mixed | Financial Sense
- Proof That Golf And Economics Don't Mix | ZeroHedge
- What To Expect From OPEC This Week | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Australia beat South Africa, win ODI series 4-1 | Business Insider
- 5 Stocks Warren Buffett Is Selling in 2014 | TheStreet.com
- Here's Why I'm Not Selling My Stocks Even Though I Think Returns Will Be Lousy | Business Insider
- Pre-Open... | StreetInsider.com
- Meet #FeministHackerBarbie, The Best Responses To... | Business Insider
- Here's The Google Ad Taking Over The New Mega Screen On Times... | Business Insider
- Chelsea pull away, Toure rescues Man City | Business Insider