Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- SEC Commissioner Furious That SEC Has Made A Mockery Of "Recidivist Criminal Behavior" By Banks | ZeroHedge
- An Invitation to Embarrass Yourselves | iBankCoin.com
- A Net Assessment of the World | Financial Sense
- 40% Of Existing Home Sales At Or Above Asking Price, Highest On NAR Record | ZeroHedge
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
- Crescendo or Consolidation? | Financial Sense
- Stocks Recover Post-FOMC Losses After 4-For-4 Economic Data Misses | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Case on rights of orangutan moving in Argentina court | Business Insider
- The 10 things people need to fall in love | Business Insider
- Obama looks to anchor Tunisia's democratic gains | Business Insider
- Here's a look at Michelle Obama's explosive workout routine | Business Insider
- Obama says the US isn't losing in Iraq — but ISIS isn't either | Business Insider
- THE VIRTUAL REALITY REPORT: Forecasts, market size, and the trends driving... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek