Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ‘Apocalypse’ Krugman Ignores History, Keynes And Lenin’s Warnings | ZeroHedge
- The Catalysts for a Correction | Financial Sense
- Euro Eases to New 2014 Lows | Financial Sense
- Is It 1999 All Over Again? | Financial Sense
- Bonds & Bullion Tumble As Stocks Stumble On Macro Weakness | ZeroHedge
- Yellen Hints at Detrimental Fed Action | Financial Sense
- David Stockman On The Real Evil Of Monetary Central Planning | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- SODASTREAM SHARES EXPLODE (SODA) | Business Insider
- The 10 Best Home Printers On The Market | Business Insider
- DEBUNKED: 7 Common Myths About The Brain | Business Insider
- Delta Air Lines Posts Higher Profit on More International Flyers | TheStreet.com
- In One Tweet, Here's Why Apple Will Be Happy To... | Business Insider
- Here's Why Penny Stocks Still Exist | Business Insider
- Let's Quickly Run Through Some Of The Great Economic News Of The Morning | Business Insider