Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold And Negative Interest Rates | ZeroHedge
- Italy's Bank Bailout Fund Already One Third Empty After First Bank Rescue | ZeroHedge
- Chart of the Day: With Stocks Near All-Time Highs, Financial Stress Turns Negative | Financial Sense
- BiLDeRBeRG NeWS... | ZeroHedge
- What Are The Three Signs Of A "Disorderly" Currency Market: Richard Koo Explains | ZeroHedge
- Patrick Buchanan: At Last, America First! | ZeroHedge
- Sell in May and Buy Back Higher in November | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Warren Buffett explains the problem with one of his favorite... | Business Insider
- This is the most practical laptop backpack you'll ever use | Business Insider
- LinkedIn spent millions on its new San Francisco headquarters, and... | Business Insider
- Elon Musk makes bold claim about Autopilot, Tesla's... | Business Insider
- Sports Authority opts for liquidation after declaring... | Business Insider
- An Australian politician set a river on fire to show the effects of fracking on the environment... | Business Insider