Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Claws of Systemic Risk Are Popping Once Again | Financial Sense
- Three Reasons To Be Worried About The Economy | ZeroHedge
- Last Pillar Standing Breaks - They're Taking Out The "Generals" | ZeroHedge
- Japan In Turmoil: Stocks, USDJPY, Bond Yields Collapse | ZeroHedge
- Bob, I got a bad feeling on this one. | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Capitulates: Closes Out 5 Of Its 6 Top Trades For 2016 With A Loss | ZeroHedge
- Why We Won’t Have a “Lehman Moment” in the 2016 Crash | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ISIS 'is not sustainable' — here's the latest sign the group is... | Business Insider
- The middle class is more fragile than you think | Business Insider
- How Trump uses a warrior's mentality to beat the odds | Business Insider
- A 'great artist' sued Martin Shkreli and a Wu-Tang Clan... | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- Here are all the ads that ran during the Super Bowl — in order | Business Insider
- The hot software-as-a-service startups of the last couple of years are getting murdered (... | Business Insider