Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ukraine Army Takes Bloomberg Reporter Hostage: Fascinating Report Ensues | ZeroHedge
- A-D Line Divergence Again | Financial Sense
- U.S. Home Price Gains Slow … or Reverse | Financial Sense
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Winding Roads | iBankCoin.com
- Japanese Unemployment Jumps To Worst In 2014 As Household Spending & Retail Sales Drop For 3rd Month | ZeroHedge
- Is This How China Will Deal With Its Massive Mal-Investment? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Watch The US Evolve From A Manufacturing Economy To A Health And Social Services... | Business Insider
- Apple's iPhone 6 Faces A Big Pricing Problem Around The World (... | Business Insider
- 17 Companies With Awesome Perks That Will Make You Jealous | Business Insider
- Here's How The Deadly Ebola Virus Affects The Body | Business Insider
- The 10 Richest States in America | TheStreet.com
- Dodge Could Be Building The Most Powerful Sedan Ever | Business Insider
- Will This Estimate Increase Help General Electric Stock Today? | TheStreet.com