Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russia Needs to Sell Gas More Than EU Needs to Buy It | Financial Sense
- China Is Crashing … As Predicted | ZeroHedge
- Phil Davis on the Money Talk Show | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Exports Collapse Leading To 2nd Largest Trade Deficit On Record | ZeroHedge
- Will Emerging Markets Come Back? | Financial Sense
- Ken Rogoff: Is This As Good As It Gets For This Generation? | ZeroHedge
- Profit Taking in Metals After Eight Consecutive Weeks of Rising Prices | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why Johann Sebastian Bach Is The Voice Of God | Business Insider
- 12 Actors Who Should Rejuvenate Their Careers With TV Shows | Business Insider
- Oil Slicks Spotted In South China Sea Thought To Be From Missing Malaysia... | Business Insider
- The Dalai Lama Supports Gay Marriage | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Chef Thomas Keller Responds To The Damning Health Inspection Of His $310-A-Head... | Business Insider
- 'Grumpy Cat' Still Hates Everyone At South By Southwest | Business Insider