Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Homebuilder Sentiment Soars To 9 Year High (Mortgage Apps 14-Year Low) | ZeroHedge
- You Know Your Country Is Broke When... | ZeroHedge
- Fed Expected to Clarify Course | Financial Sense
- Walcome, Unicorn to Forex | ZeroHedge
- Hey, REITs: Step Into My Office | iBankCoin.com
- Stocks Give Up Post-FOMC Gains; Dollar, Bond Yields Surge | ZeroHedge
- The U.S. National Debt Has Grown By More Than A Trillion Dollars In The Last 12 Months | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- This Conservative Pundit Has An Unbelievable Collection Of Brightly... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Iran Might Be More Worried About The US Military... | Business Insider
- Billionaire VC Peter Thiel Says Silicon Valley's 'Obsession' With... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- The Most Beautiful Storytelling App Is Now On iPhone | Business Insider