Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The End of the Bull Market? | Financial Sense
- Top Ranked Stocks | iBankCoin.com
- No More "Dog Dung Vacuums" As SkyMall Files For Bankruptcy | ZeroHedge
- Did Treasury Secretary Lew Just Call Draghi A Currency Manipulator? | ZeroHedge
- The Visual Story Of The Biggest Fraud In Gold Mining History | ZeroHedge
- Crude, Copper, & Euro Currency Crushed By King Dollar's Best Week In Over 3 Years | ZeroHedge
- Remembering The Currency Wars Of The 1920s & 1930s (And Central Banks' "Overused Bag Of Tricks") | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hugh Hefner's Son Thinks His Dad Is Totally Wrong About Women | Business Insider
- Crucial New Career Advice From LinkedIn's Billionaire Founder Reid Hoffman... | Business Insider
- Guess How Long It Has Been Since The Republicans... | Business Insider
- These 3 Japanese Luxury SUVs Will Take On The Cadillac... | Business Insider
- Get Ready for the Dollar to Dip Again: Buy Foreign Currency | TheStreet.com
- Here's How To Spot A Real-Life Spy | Business Insider
- Cambridge lead charge of FA Cup underdogs | Business Insider