Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The REAL Looting Is Happening On Wall Street … Not In Ferguson | ZeroHedge
- Artist's Impression Of The Obama Branches Of Government | ZeroHedge
- Currency Wars Reignite As Yuan Tumbles Most In 2 Months And Chinese Bond Market Freezes | ZeroHedge
- Forex Scandal Exposes Difficulty of Financial Regulation | Financial Sense
- U.S. Drone Strike Math – 41 Terrorists Targeted, 1,147 People Killed | ZeroHedge
- UMich Confidence Misses By Most In 13 Months | ZeroHedge
- As the ‘Sanctions War’ Heats Up, Will Putin Play His Gold Card? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 25 Highest-Paying Jobs In America | Business Insider
- The Best Black Friday Deals In Tech | Business Insider
- US National Guard deployed as Ferguson protests | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- J.J. Abrams' Handwritten Note Confirms 88-Second 'Star Wars'... | Business Insider
- This Picture Shows How Far Apple Computers Have Come In 30 Years (... | Business Insider
- The NBA World Has Never Seen Anything Like Anthony Davis | Business Insider