Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Should Investors Fear China’s Anti-American Protests? | Financial Sense
- Why Pokemon Go Scares Middle Eastern Governments | Financial Sense
- Atlantic Divergence in Monetary Policy as US Economy Outpaces EU | Financial Sense
- 17,359 Americans Have Renounced Citizenship Under Barack Obama | ZeroHedge
- Another "Smoking Gun" Looms As Hillary Campaign Admits Server Hacked | ZeroHedge
- The FOMC Butterfly That Will Ruin The World | ZeroHedge
- Ireland Jails 3 Top Bankers Over 2008 Collapse... Instead Of Bailing Them Out | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 23 things you should never say to your coworkers | Business Insider
- Will the Internet of Things be bigger than the... | Business Insider
- US: Israel's settlement activity is '... | Business Insider
- How to convince people you're a wine expert when you really aren... | Business Insider
- Trump had words for nearly every... | Business Insider
- The 3 plays in sports everybody will be talking about today | Business Insider
- 15 strategies millionaires use to manage... | Business Insider