Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Households' Equity Ownership Reaches 30% - It's Statistical Noise | Financial Sense
- This New Bubble Is Even Bigger Than The Subprime Fiasco | ZeroHedge
- 5 Reasons Why You're Living In The Strangest Time In Human History | ZeroHedge
- FHFA Home Price Growth Weakest Since Nov 2013 | ZeroHedge
- Surge in Global Economic Surprises, Business Confidence Continues | Financial Sense
- Will Yesterday's Market Selloff Turn "Emotional": Here Are The Key Indicators RBC Is Looking At | ZeroHedge
- Do Wars Help or HURT the Economy? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Spinning sail technology is poised to bring back wind-powered ships | Business Insider
- The German bank that loaned $300 million to Trump played a... | Business Insider
- The US head at one of the top trading firms in the world says he's... | Business Insider
- Meet the cocaine-addled, Hitler-obsessed drug... | Business Insider
- 7 real people share the life hacks that save them thousands | Business Insider
- LinkedIn rolls out email-based targeting (LNKD) | Business Insider
- 12 incredibly successful people share their surprising definitions of success | Business Insider