Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is This The Most Successful Trade Of The Last Decade? | ZeroHedge
- AAPL Stock Tests Key Technical Level For First Time Since 2013 | ZeroHedge
- Amid Escalating Violence In Turkey, Erdogan Says Putin Ready To "Give Up On Assad" | ZeroHedge
- US Economy Sees Substantial Increase After Weak QI, Though Still Below Average | Financial Sense
- China’s Stock Markets and Revisiting 2011 Predictions | Financial Sense
- Comex On The Edge? Paper Gold "Dilution" Hits A Record 124 For Every Ounce Of Physical | ZeroHedge
- Why The U.S. Is the Next Greece: Doug Casey On America's Economic Problems | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Greek stocks close with record drop of 16.23% | Business Insider
- The most powerful person in the world at every age | Business Insider
- Some Americans refuse to give up on Confederate flag | Business Insider
- Smart gadgets from guns to cars ripe for hacking | Business Insider
- A senior Tidal executive has left Jay Z's music-streaming company after just... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day... | StreetInsider.com
- China risks turning its 1987-style crash into a much... | Business Insider