Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- For The Average American, A Modest 10% Correction Is Now A "Market Crash" | ZeroHedge
- In Dramatic Escalation, China Sends Five Navy Ships Off Alaska Coast For First Time Ever | ZeroHedge
- The Bigger-est Hockeystick Ever: Presenting The ECB's Latest Inflation Expectations | ZeroHedge
- This Is What The Historic "Risk Parity" Blow Up Looked Like | ZeroHedge
- Global Growth Tensions Reflected in Diverging Data Points | Financial Sense
- Pettis: Chinese Debt-Related Shocks to Last for Years | Financial Sense
- "JPM Omen 2.0" Sparks Stock Pump'n'Dump After Crude Surges'n'Purges | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Guatemala ex-president behind bars overnight as VP sworn... | Business Insider
- LAST CHANCE: You're running out of time to save big on IGNITION early-bird... | Business Insider
- No. 22 Wildcats' 42-32 win over UTSA comes with a cost | Business Insider
- These are the best banks in the world | Business Insider
- Bush: "I laughed" at Trump's criticism of... | Business Insider
- Membership-based delivery services are beginning to disrupt the $600 billion-a-... | Business Insider
- The CEO of Uber's biggest rival in China told Travis Kalanick... | Business Insider