Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- California Housing Market Cracks in Two, Top End Goes Crazy | ZeroHedge
- Swiss Yes Vote Possible - First “Gold Rush” Of 21st Century? | ZeroHedge
- The Real Reason Why The Swiss National Bank Hates The Gold Referendum | ZeroHedge
- THE TURKEY GODS ARE HERE | iBankCoin.com
- The 'Modest' Economic Implications Of Obama's Immigration Policy Changes | ZeroHedge
- The Mystery Of Surging Q3 GDP Explained And Why Americans Are Suddenly $80 Billion "Poorer" | ZeroHedge
- Are Low Rates Responsible for High Valuations | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Russia's Northern Fleet Is In The English Channel | Business Insider
- Hunger-striking inmates die of poisoning in Venezuela | Business Insider
- Phillip Hughes dies from injuries: Cricket Australia | Business Insider
- Japan's Stimulus Looks Shaky As... | Business Insider
- European Stocks Are Flat And Some Technical... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- OPEC set for pivotal decision on oil output amount | Business Insider