Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Platinum Imports Rise – Bullish Platinum and Palladium Fundamentals | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Indices: Research Rubbish? | Financial Sense
- Argentine Inflation: It’s Tough When All You Get Is Lies | ZeroHedge
- Stock Market Not Ready to Handle Tapering Truth | Financial Sense
- Chart of the Day: Existing Home Sales | Financial Sense
- Seeing Shades of Grey in the Dark Side | iBankCoin.com
- Europe's Quantitative Easing | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's Where Some Former HP Big Data Engineers And Execs Have Ended Up... | Business Insider
- Anonymous Actually Intimidated The US Government Into Shutting... | Business Insider
- Goldman Sachs Is Now The Most Bullish Broker On Wall Street | Business Insider
- 4 Reasons Recruiters Don't Call Back | Business Insider
- Europe Had A Horrific Day | Business Insider
- There's Only One Way To Survive In Investing | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek