Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- August 2016 Vice Index: Is Vice Spending Slowing? | Financial Sense
- Multiple People Stabbed By Woman With Machete In Brussels Street Attack | ZeroHedge
- TIME Argues "Trolling" Demands Formal Policing Of The Internet | ZeroHedge
- Marx & Markets | ZeroHedge
- Analyzing Trump's Election Chances: What Does The Donald Need To Do To Win? | ZeroHedge
- Robo-Testifying In a Nutshell: The Triumph of Expediency Over Due Process in Foreclosure Cases | ZeroHedge
- Media Worried Too Many Americans Will Question Legitimacy Of 2016 Election, Blame Trump | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Guys, these are the most comfortable jeans you'll ever wear | Business Insider
- Understanding VCs | Business Insider
- 7 signs you're a leader people want to follow | Business Insider
- Intel releases Joule developer kit (INTC) | Business Insider
- How to get a shy person to open up to you in 5 minutes or less | Business Insider
- Speedo drops Lochte — will donate $50,000 of his fee to... | Business Insider
- This GoPro video shows the intense jungle training Marines go through | Business Insider