Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- With 65% of ATMs Nonoperational, Goldman Warns India Is "Returning To Barter System" | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: December 9 | ZeroHedge
- Giuliani Reportedly Out Of Running For Secretary Of State | ZeroHedge
- Moving Backwards: Despite Claims Of A Recovery, "Economy Is In Reverse" | ZeroHedge
- Another Day, Another Melt-Up In Stocks As Gold Hits 10-Month Lows | ZeroHedge
- Gold Market Hanging on a Razor's Edge | Financial Sense
- The Stock Market is Officially in BUBBLE Territory (Video) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 million self-driving cars will be on the road by... | Business Insider
- 'Wherever you hear parents bemoaning 'it will... | Business Insider
- Trump missed his $100 million election... | Business Insider
- Trump gets one intelligence briefing per week | Business Insider
- Trump shuts down 4 of his companies that appeared... | Business Insider
- It's clear the College Football Playoff committee crushes teams... | Business Insider
- Trump on the 'lock her up' chant: 'Now we don't care' | Business Insider