Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Pending Home Sales Drop In March - Stagnant For 2 Years | ZeroHedge
- How to Believe in Your Idea Enough to Take the First Step (and Other Business Advice From Ryan Deiss) | Altucher Confidential
- Trump's Second Obamacare Repeal Attempt On The Edge Of Collapse | ZeroHedge
- The Issues Americans Think Are Worth A Government Shutdown | ZeroHedge
- What Happened The Last Time Companies Got A Tax-Break On Overseas Cash? | ZeroHedge
- Space Mining: The Final Frontier For Oil Countries | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Dazed After Trump NAFTA Flop, Tax Plan Disappointment; ECB Looms | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Startup founders who raised $15 million explain what everyone gets wrong about... | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- These are the signs that your boss secretly hates you... | Business Insider
- Smartphone adoption on the upswing in Nigeria | Business Insider
- How a rare copy of the Declaration of... | Business Insider
- One poll suggests some voters believe the media is 'out of touch' with everyday... | Business Insider
- 9 things bosses do that make great employees quit | Business Insider