Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chile con Bottom Recipe | iBankCoin.com
- There is Nothing to Buy | iBankCoin.com
- When Twitter Word Order Goes Badly Wrong | ZeroHedge
- Turkish PM Cuts Ties With US, Mulls De-Dollarization With Russia | ZeroHedge
- 51 Dead As TransAsia Flight Makes Forced Landing In South China Sea | ZeroHedge
- Oil Jumps As Stocks Dump-And-Pump But Close Lower | ZeroHedge
- Cows Versus Bulls | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here Are The Silliest Softball Questions Hillary Clinton Answered On... | Business Insider
- S&P 500 AT ALL-TIME HIGH (SPX, SPY, QQQ, DIA, PBYI, DOW, PEP, BA, BIIB) | Business Insider
- Samsung Is In Trouble... (AAPL, GOOG) | Business Insider
- A Facebook Product Guy Says Foursquare Has 'Failed At Everything It Was Once Good At... | Business Insider
- These Are The Simple Fixes That Could Help Online Retailers... | Business Insider
- How Malaysia Airlines Can Be Saved From Financial And Reputational Ruin | Business Insider
- LinkedIn Just Bought A Business Marketing Company For $175 Million | Business Insider