Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Caught Between Iraq & A Hard Place" | ZeroHedge
- If QE Is Ending Because It Was So Successful, Then Here Are A Few Simple Questions | ZeroHedge
- Ebola Patient Dr. Kent Brantly Leaves Hospital - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Congress Proposes Law Banning Body Armor In The Land Of The Free | ZeroHedge
- A September to Remember | iBankCoin.com
- GUESS WHAT, PAL? | iBankCoin.com
- Stocks Hit All Time Highs After Russia Announces It Has "No Plans Of Military Incursion Into Ukraine" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 Things You Need To Know Today (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, SHLD) | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Apple Hid Steve Jobs' Amazing Commencement Speech In Its Word Processor — Here's... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Here's The Aftermath Of The Battle With ISIS Over The Dam That Could... | Business Insider
- Protests Rock Indonesia As Tens Of Thousands Protest Election Result | Business Insider
- Here's Why E-Bike Sales Are Booming In Europe | Business Insider