Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Clinton's Plan For Millennials: Loan Forgiveness | ZeroHedge
- Teachers Unions Vs Hedge Funds: The Battle Over Billions | ZeroHedge
- WTF Chart Of The Day: When Central Planning Fails | ZeroHedge
- Don't Worry, You Are Not Alone: "No One Knows How To Price Brexit" Citi Admits | ZeroHedge
- The Algos Are Winning Again (In Trading The Brexit Chaos) | ZeroHedge
- Is A New Banking Crisis Imminent? Recent Rise In Delinquency Rates Is Shocking | ZeroHedge
- 14 Signs The World Is On The Verge Of Generational Chaos | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Robo-advisors have a $2 trillion opportunity in front of them | Business Insider
- Personal spending climbs as expected in May | Business Insider
- Here's when US markets are open and closed during the 4th of July holiday | Business Insider
- People are taking longer to upgrade their smartphones (TMUS, S, VZ... | Business Insider
- These are the 5 best games to play during a vacation or a long... | Business Insider
- Great whites are back in Cape Cod — here's what you... | Business Insider
- 9 things to do in your 20s to retire by 40 | Business Insider