Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Eight Forces That Are Pressuring Profits | Financial Sense
- Higher Interest Rates Good for Stocks | Financial Sense
- Death Threats Force Opera Star Bocelli To Pull Out Of Inauguration Performance | ZeroHedge
- Peak Savings: Wall Street Faces 20 Years Of Retirement Withdrawals As Boomers Hit 70 1/2 | ZeroHedge
- The Number One Concern For US Citizens Is... Terrorism!? | ZeroHedge
- Will Trump Save Deutsche Bank? | ZeroHedge
- The "Most Bearish Hedge Fund" Capitulates: "We Are Beginning To Close Parts Of Our Short Book" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This summer's biggest natural phenomena is cutting right across the US... | Business Insider
- Here are the most ridiculous laws in... | Business Insider
- 160 million Americans can't afford to treat a broken arm | Business Insider
- This monster machine that splits trees is incredibly satisfying to watch | Business Insider
- UK climate scientists are concerned about Trump's... | Business Insider
- The rise of Larry Ellison, the jet-setting billionaire founder of Oracle (ORCL) | Business Insider
- Buying these 9 gadgets will save you money in 2017 | Business Insider