Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trading Made Simple | ZeroHedge
- Leaders Still Leading on This Platoon | iBankCoin.com
- And Now Market Tumbles, As News Of Ukraine Deaths Spook Algos | ZeroHedge
- "Growth" Stocks Tumble To 7-Month Lows To "Value" As Bond Yields Collapse | ZeroHedge
- This Is How Free Americans Really Are | ZeroHedge
- EU Takes Steps Toward Energy Independence From Russia | Financial Sense
- The Alienation of Work | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Men Who Allegedly Raped And Killed 4 Women Probably Wore Court... | Business Insider
- A Father Took A Video Of His Daughter Every Week For 14... | Business Insider
- Former Chipotle Worker Says She Was Fired For Taking Time Off After Alleged Attack By... | Business Insider
- PAYMENTS INSIDER: Apple And NFC — Big Retailers... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- CHART OF THE DAY: From First To Last, And Last To First | Business Insider