Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is The Industrial Metals Surge A Sign Of Growth In Economy, Market? | ZeroHedge
- A New Look - NYSE Margin Debt and the Market | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: December 2 | ZeroHedge
- In Mexico, a Trying Year for Trade | Financial Sense
- Global Stocks, Futures, Commodities, Dollar Fall Ahead Of Payrolls, Italy Vote | ZeroHedge
- Death, Gold, & Taxes | ZeroHedge
- Michigan Rejects Trump's Objection - Recounts Are Cleared To Start Next Week | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tesla will never have to worry about selling cars (TSLA) | Business Insider
- Trump's Cabinet could be the wealthiest in US history | Business Insider
- 9 reasons the iPhone 8 will blow everyone away | Business Insider
- The 10 most popular winter escapes — and the best time to go | Business Insider
- One of the best big battery packs on the market is on sale right now | Business Insider
- MEET THE NEW EXECUTIVE BRANCH: Here's who Trump has... | Business Insider
- Here's the futuristic facility where Under Armour... | Business Insider