Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- News That Matters | ZeroHedge
- Added To ETP – 35% Cash | iBankCoin.com
- $BABA’s Little Red Candle | iBankCoin.com
- Gold - Watch the €1000 Level | Financial Sense
- When War Erupts Patriots Will Be Accused Of Aiding "The Enemy" | ZeroHedge
- Scotland's Salmond Resigns After Losing Independence Vote | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap September 19, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Indian TV sacks newsreader over 'Eleven Jinping'... | Business Insider
- 'Nessie' leaves Scots wondering as monster vote looms... | Business Insider
- SAP Just Spent $8.3 Billion To Become 'The Second-Largest Cloud Company' (SAP) | Business Insider
- Here's Why Louis CK's Kids Are White But Their Mother Is Black In... | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer Debrief on Interview with Alibaba CEO Jack Ma | TheStreet.com
- Rand Paul Just Delivered A Major Foreign Policy Speech — And Critics Say He Made... | Business Insider
- That Time Larry Ellison Tore Bill Gates And Microsoft Apart... | Business Insider