Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Paul Craig Roberts: The Rise Of The Inhumanes | ZeroHedge
- Will Uncle Sam Confiscate Gold Again? | ZeroHedge
- "It's A Tipping Point" Marc Faber Warns "There Are No Safe Assets Anymore" | ZeroHedge
- Lira Plunges To Record Lows As Turkish Minister Addresses G20 | ZeroHedge
- Is China Dumping US Treasuries? | Financial Sense
- Signs to Watch for a Major Peak in Stocks and Impending Bear Market (Update) | Financial Sense
- Not So Fast With Those "Rising Wages" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- New federal requirements on cellphone surveillance | Business Insider
- Candidates seeking Iowa boost look to 99-county tour | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Here's what Europe's refugee crisis looks like in... | Business Insider
- Jefferies keeps raiding one rival bank for its top traders (luk, ubs) | Business Insider
- Fan at Fenway Park hurt trying for foul, leaves on... | Business Insider
- Impact of China slowdown larger than expected: IMF | Business Insider