Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US-Trained Special Forces Chief Joins ISIS, Vows To Bring Jihad To Russia & America | ZeroHedge
- Greece Feigned Deal Progress, Launched Rumors To Avert Bank Run | ZeroHedge
- ECB Cracks A Joke, Says It Will "Publicly" Respond To Allegations It Privately Leaks Market-Moving News | ZeroHedge
- The "Revolving Door" Goes Full Retard: SEC Hires Goldmanite Who Previously Worked At The SEC | ZeroHedge
- How Japan's Unemployment Rate Dropped Even As 280,000 People Lost Their Jobs | ZeroHedge
- Bonds - Managing Duration and Interest Rate Risk | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: America Has No Enemy More Lethal Than The Neocon | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- THE E-COMMERCE DEMOGRAPHICS REPORT: Men are actually more likely to... | Business Insider
- This British fintech CEO just got given a royal role that... | Business Insider
- 18 labs may have received live anthrax samples: US... | Business Insider
- Budget gyms are flipping the fitness market on its head — and... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek