Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks Green Despite Big Blue; Greenback & Black Gold Red | ZeroHedge
- Tech Bellwether IBM Sees Big Earnings Miss | Financial Sense
- Public Health Expert Explains How to Prevent a Panic About Ebola: Tell the Truth! | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- The Problem With Letting Academics Run the Economy | ZeroHedge
- Why The Argentinean Situation Should Make You Buy Gold | ZeroHedge
- End of U.S. Dollar Hegemony - Not | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 Mind-Blowing Facts About Black Holes | Business Insider
- In Mexico, codex exhibit rethinks Moctezuma's death | Business Insider
- Singer Neil Diamond digs for 'real gold' with new... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Peyton Manning's Touchdown Record Is Absurd Even In This Pass-Happy Era | Business Insider
- Apple Has No Plans To Build A Touchscreen Mac, Says... | Business Insider
- Inside The $40 Billion Jet Buying Spree By India'... | Business Insider