Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Westinghouse Bankruptcy Puts Fate Of Four U.S. Nuclear Reactors In Limbo | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Roll-Over As USDJPY Tumbles To Post-Healthcare-Fail Lows | ZeroHedge
- Foreign Investors Are Dumping Japanese Bonds & Stocks At Almost Record Pace | ZeroHedge
- FBI Arrests State Department Employee For Spying For China | ZeroHedge
- Second Foundation: Empire Crumbling | ZeroHedge
- Should We Pay Off $20 Trillion in National Debt by Selling Federal Assets? | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: March 29 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- I get hundreds of emails a day — here's the strategy I use to cut my time wading... | Business Insider
- THE IoT 101 REPORT: Your essential guide to the... | Business Insider
- Toshiba wants its US nuclear unit to file for bankruptcy | Business Insider
- Tinder is testing a new feature that makes it easier to chat with your... | Business Insider
- The Fox News analyst behind Trump's explosive... | Business Insider
- Paris voted to ban ‘sexist and discriminatory’ outdoor ads | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton delivers fiery words for Trump without mentioning his name at a San Francisco conference | Business Insider