Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Greece's New FinMin Warns "We Are Going To Destroy The Greek Oligarchy System" | ZeroHedge
- WTI Crude Jumps As Saudi Oil Minister Meets With Russian, Finnish, And Norwegian Ambassadors | ZeroHedge
- Syriza Forms Coalition Government With Anti-Bailout Independent Greeks: What Happens Next | ZeroHedge
- Bank of Canada Throws in the Towel on ‘Recovery’ Meme | Financial Sense
- "Paid To Wait"? Microsoft Tumbles 10%, Destroys 4 Years Of Dividend Gains | ZeroHedge
- Greece is the Canary In the Coal Mine for the $100 TRILLION Bond Bubble | ZeroHedge
- Seven Consecutive Downward Reivisions To New Home Sales Data Place Serious Doubts On Report Accuracy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Netflix Dominated At The SAG Awards | Business Insider
- What It's Like To Found A $750 Million Startup, Go Through A Sexual-... | Business Insider
- An Analyst Says Everybody... | Business Insider
- 2 Males Shot Inside Manhattan Home Depot | Business Insider
- Fascinating New Theory Explains How The Patriots Could Have Manipulated The... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Emma Watson Will Play Belle In Disney's Live Action "Beauty and... | Business Insider