Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It's 2am In Japan, Time For Nikkei To Drop Another Tape Bomb | ZeroHedge
- 50 Things I Pretend To Know Now That I Am Nearing 50 | Altucher Confidential
- With Italy's Bank Stress Test "A Near-Term Risk", Who Is Most Exposed? | ZeroHedge
- China Is Building Its Future on Credit | Financial Sense
- 27-Year-Old Syrian Suicide Bomber Behind German Music Festival Attack That Injured 12 | ZeroHedge
- Subprime Snaps: Largest US Subprime Auto Lender Delays Earnings Due To "Accounting Matters" | ZeroHedge
- Turkey Launches Investigation Of "Losers" Who Claim Coup Was A Hoax | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- This startup makes the most comfortable pair of underwear I’ve ever worn | Business Insider
- The staggering cost of inaction in Syria 'will be a permanent stain' | Business Insider
- Harrison Ford's 'Star Wars' accident 'could have... | Business Insider
- Apple investors have generally unloaded the stock after recent... | Business Insider
- IAN BREMMER: Here's why Putin is rooting... | Business Insider
- At least 2 people killed in 'teen night' shooting at Florida... | Business Insider