Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dutch Investigators End Another Ukraine Conspiracy: No Evidence Black Box Was Tampered With | ZeroHedge
- Favor Dry Powder Over DUST | iBankCoin.com
- 11.7% Of The World's At War: Global Geopolitical Risk Mapped | ZeroHedge
- Consensus Building for 2016 Stock Market Bubble, Crash | Financial Sense
- My 1,001st Post – It’s About BAS | iBankCoin.com
- You Know It's Bad When... | ZeroHedge
- Obama Prepares To Send National Guard To Texas As Flood Of Immigrant Children Overwhelms US | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jimmy Kimmel Told People A $20 Casio Is An Apple Smartwatch, And They Totally Believed Him | Business Insider
- REPORT: Apple May Release Its Two... | Business Insider
- Why Is A Mysterious Group Of Protesters Chasing A Longshot Candidate Around New... | Business Insider
- Why More MBAs Are Becoming Entrepreneurs Straight Out Of Business... | Business Insider
- Barry Silbert Steps Down As SecondMarket CEO | Business Insider
- There's A Massive Opportunity In Peer-To-Peer... | Business Insider
- It's Unfortunate That GM Has To Include A Slide Titled 'Second Quarter 2014 Vehicle Recall... | Business Insider