Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Rich" Americans Confidence Crashes Most Since 2013 | ZeroHedge
- Warning: Hawkishness Ahead | Financial Sense
- Remember That "Taxation Without Representation" Thing? It's Happening Again | ZeroHedge
- More Lukewarm Econ Data to Match Q1 Earnings | Financial Sense
- Economist: US Won't Tip Into Recession Until 2019 (If the Fed Doesn't Mess Things Up) | Financial Sense
- Jim Grant Asks When The World Will Realize "That Central Bankers Have Lost Their Marbles" | ZeroHedge
- EXTReMeLY DaNGeRouS I.U.D. | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A model with muscular dystrophy is taking over the fashion industry | Business Insider
- The untreatable Zika virus just reached another country in South America — here... | Business Insider
- STOCKS GO NOWHERE: Here's what you need to know (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, TLT, IWM, TSLA, USO, OIL,... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- The editor of the ill-fated The... | Business Insider
- Here's why writing things out by hand makes you smarter | Business Insider
- Here's what actually happens to your body after you die | Business Insider