Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "The Time Is Now" For Markets To Price In China's Next Slowdown, A Gloomy Morgan Stanley Warns | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Part-Time Workers Soar As Economy Deteriorates | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: May 23 | ZeroHedge
- In Historic First, Singapore Shuts Local Private Bank Due To "Worst Gross Misconduct" Is Has Ever Seen | ZeroHedge
- Ten Riot Police Squads Deployed To Greek Refugee Camp As Evacuation Begins | ZeroHedge
- Never Been Richer - Investors Are Paying Historically High Multiples For Sales | ZeroHedge
- The Wildest Predictions For Oil Prices In 2016 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There will be 34 billion IoT devices installed on Earth... | Business Insider
- Snapchat is letting X-Men fans transform into their favorite characters today | Business Insider
- Another US oil driller bites the dust | Business Insider
- China produced more steel than the rest of the world in... | Business Insider
- Madonna and Stevie Wonder delivered a powerful Prince... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (GOOG, FB, VIAB,... | Business Insider
- Brazilians are using a demonic chant to protest their new president | Business Insider