Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Norway Raids Sovereign Wealth Fund To Cover Government Expenses | ZeroHedge
- Dallas Fed Dead-Cat-Bounce Dies - Economy Contracts For 20th Month In A Row | ZeroHedge
- The "Devastating" Truth Behind America's Record Household Net Worth | ZeroHedge
- New Evidence Reveals Iran Evaded Sanctions, Continued Nuclear Weapon Development With Venezuela | ZeroHedge
- Iceland Sounds Alarm After Largest Volcano Rocked By Big Earthquake Cluster | ZeroHedge
- The Market for Autonomous Vehicles Revs Up | Financial Sense
- Hedge Funds Are "All In" Again | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The first offshore tidal turbines in the world have been... | Business Insider
- EpiPen isn't the only emergency medicine skyrocketing in... | Business Insider
- The true story of 2 American soldiers left for dead in Iraq | Business Insider
- Facebook will let users activate Safety Check for... | Business Insider
- The 4 best street eats in NYC | Business Insider
- The 21 best jobs of the future | Business Insider
- Dilma Rousseff defended herself before Brazil's... | Business Insider