Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Hilsenrath Warns: Fed's "Vote Of Confidence In US Economy" Means Mid-2015 Rate Hike Possibility | ZeroHedge
- FOMC: "We Screwed Up" | ZeroHedge
- Careful What You Wish For: Plunging Yen Leads To 140% Surge In Bankruptcies | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Mint Gold Coin Sales Near 60,000 - "Islamic State, Ebola, Putin, Ukraine" and Swiss Gold Initiative | ZeroHedge
- THE WALL STREET BULL IS COMING | iBankCoin.com
- Why I Don't Really Care About Your Product | ZeroHedge
- Gold Prices to 1-Week Low as Safe Haven Demand Falls | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Army seizes power in Burkina Faso after protests | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Art Cashin Recounts What Happened 85 Years Ago Today When The Stock Market Crashed | Business Insider
- This Brain Map Shows Why People On Shrooms See Sounds And Hear Colors | Business Insider
- Japan Just Boosted QE And The Nikkei Exploded To A 7... | Business Insider
- New York City Keeps The Subway Running By Fixing It Before It Breaks | Business Insider
- SodaStream to close controversial West Bank plant | Business Insider