Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How America's "Think Tanks" Are Compromised & Bought Off By Foreign Governments | ZeroHedge
- How Revisionism Saves Bernanke | ZeroHedge
- Is Russia Plotting To Bring Down OPEC? | ZeroHedge
- Putin Has Just Put An End to the Wolfowitz Doctrine | ZeroHedge
- Worth Wray on China's Failed Plan to Blow Stock Market Bubble and Attract Global Investors | Financial Sense
- Jim Cramer Flip-Flops Back To Bullish Following 100 Point S&P Surge | ZeroHedge
- California Mayor Forced to Hand Over Electronics and Passwords at Airport, Compares U.S. To Nazi Germany | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Turkey urges EU action on Syria to end migrant crisis | Business Insider
- The Latest: Rainfall sets new record in South Carolina | Business Insider
- EU high court rules against prisoner seeking voting... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- John Oliver skewers politicians who blame gun violence on mental illness... | Business Insider
- ESPN cuts sponsored daily fantasy sports elements from... | Business Insider