Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Happens When Cash Is No Longer Trash? | ZeroHedge
- Let Oil Be Your Guide | iBankCoin.com
- Kicking Some Bear Game | iBankCoin.com
- Despite WHO's Confidence, Mali Becomes 6th West African Nation With Ebola | ZeroHedge
- The Canadian Patriot Act Arrives: Ottawa To Give Security Agencies More "Detention And Surveillance" Powers | ZeroHedge
- New Tesla Model S May Have Us Rethink Electric Cars | Financial Sense
- India Gold Demand Surges 450% and Bank of Russia Demand At 15 Year High | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Morgan Spurlock's New Short Film Explains The Market Economy So Even A Caveman... | Business Insider
- North Korean Photos Show Scores Of Workers Building An Airport At Record Speed... | Business Insider
- An Executive Coach Explains How To Master Office Politics To Rise Through The Ranks | Business Insider
- Halep stuns Williams at WTA Finals | Business Insider
- Royals rip Giants, pull even in baseball World Series | Business Insider
- Dicker: With Low Oil Prices, Which Companies Should You Buy? | TheStreet.com
- 'The Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Trailer Leaks Online A Week... | Business Insider