Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump Plans To Have Tyson, Ditka, & Bobby Knight At GOP Convention | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Portfolio Strategy Analysis & Why ETFs Suck (Video) | ZeroHedge
- What Brexit Means for the World | Financial Sense
- Health Care Costs Are Rising Sharply, And It Will Get Much Worse | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap Jun 29, 2016 | FundMyMutualFund
- The Crackdown Begins: Chinese Bank Sues To Seize Vancouver Real Estate Assets | ZeroHedge
- Ep. 173 – Kevin Kelly: One Rule for Predicting What You Never Saw Coming… | Altucher Confidential
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This brand makes my favorite pairs of ridiculous socks | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- We checked out the Indian alternative to Harley-Davidson that's fueling a new American motorcycle... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- 5 fictional military leaders we’d actually follow into combat | Business Insider
- Dozens dead after 3 suicide bombings rock... | Business Insider
- Here's how Europeans feel about their dismal economic... | Business Insider