Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Earnings & Events On Tap | iBankCoin.com
- America's Drone-Death Outrage (Summarized In 1 Awkward Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
- It's Not Just The Students Who Are Broke: LSU Draws Up Bankruptcy Plan | ZeroHedge
- Global Uncertainty With the Upper Hand | Financial Sense
- Why A Chinese Developer's Default Means Trouble For New York Real Estate | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Retail Sales | Financial Sense
- Cybersecurity Companies in the "Military-Internet Complex" | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Elon Musk's Twitter account was hacked (TSLA) | Business Insider
- England cruise to nine-wicket triumph | Business Insider
- 'Game of Thrones' brings one of the most iconic scenes from the books to... | Business Insider
- What the deadly Mount Everest avalanche looked... | Business Insider
- Death, panic on Everest once more, year after tragedy | Business Insider
- There's a funny reason people didn't understand how to use... | Business Insider
- Inside the office of London design company MOO, which prints some of the... | Business Insider