Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Five Stocks to Help Inflate Your Pizza Lunch | iBankCoin.com
- Looking Past Ukraine | Financial Sense
- This Here Commodity Action | iBankCoin.com
- Can the Rally in Global Commodities Be Sustained? | Financial Sense
- Beige Book Saw Modest-To-Moderate Growth Despite 119 Mentions Of The Word "Weather" | ZeroHedge
- Gold Price Drops 3/4 of “Ukraine Crisis” Jump as Russia Moves to Ease Tensions | Financial Sense
- Read This Post Before You Humiliate Yourselves with Bad Decisions | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jim Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Stocks on Sale | TheStreet.com
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Former SAC Trader Mathew Martoma Just Lost His Stanford MBA | Business Insider
- 'Fast Money' Recap: Mardi Gras on Wall Street | TheStreet.com
- North Korea's Military In 3 Maps | Business Insider
- Lena Dunham Is Writing A 4-Part 'Archie' Comic About Reality TV | Business Insider
- Oscar Pistorius Weeps While Doctor Shares Graphic Details Of His... | Business Insider