Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Hillary Allies Think The Race Is Over As Trump Declares Himself The Debate Winner | ZeroHedge
- Wikileaks Releases Part 13 Of Podesta Data Dump; Total Emails Released Is Now 23,423 | ZeroHedge
- The Public Pension Time Bomb Is Starting to Explode | Financial Sense
- WTI Crude Spikes After Major Crude Inventory Draw Trumps Production Increase | ZeroHedge
- Mexico Orders Banks To "Stress Test" For A Trump Victory | ZeroHedge
- California Attorney General Launches Criminal Probe Into Wells Fargo Over Fake Accounts | ZeroHedge
- Wikileaks Releases Another 1,803 Podesta Emails In Part 12 Of Data Dump; Total Is Now 18,953 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Research on the benefits of cannabis has... | Business Insider
- Here's how Canada's economy has fared during Trudeau's first... | Business Insider
- This 24-year-old relationship quiz could be the answer to petty arguments with your partner | Business Insider
- This startup makes some of the most impressive and affordable cashmere... | Business Insider
- The brutal 'honest trailer' for 'Ghostbusters' picks apart all the... | Business Insider
- South Koreans are going... | Business Insider
- Avocados are about to get even more expensive | Business Insider