Covered Call Picks (ALXA,AMRN,CLF,ISIS,DNDN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.75. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.5.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $10.49. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $30.48. Its 52 week range is between $32.25 and $78.85.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $8.94. Its 52 week range is between $6.43 and $15.61.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $4.33. Its 52 week range is between $3.69 and $17.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Cyber Wars Begin: Obama Says US "Must Retaliate" Against China For Historic Data Breach | ZeroHedge
- Near-Term Dollar Outlook | ZeroHedge
- CEO Hikes Minimum Wage To $70K, Capitalist Tragicomedy Ensues | ZeroHedge
- As China Admits It Lied About Its Local Debt Levels, Local Billionaires Are Quietly Liquidating Their Assets | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Company Replaces Humans With Robots, Production Skyrockets, Mistakes Disappear | ZeroHedge
- It’s All About the Fed Today | Financial Sense
- Will FTC Probe Of Largest For-Profit College Lead To Another Billion Dollar Taxpayer Bailout? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- People are so obsessed with this household de-cluttering method,... | Business Insider
- The best premium economy airlines in the world | Business Insider
- Washington DC is literally sinking | Business Insider
- Four threats Olympics security chiefs need to stop | Business Insider
- Iraq's Jon Stewart combats jihadists with laughs | Business Insider
- Researchers have discovered a new diet that helps severe burns heal faster | Business Insider
- Women are tricking ISIS into spending thousands of... | Business Insider