Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Barclays Director Arrested For Giving Plumber Trading Tips in Exchange for Home Renovations | ZeroHedge
- Forget Big Brother, Facebook Is Watching (And Listening) To Everything You Do | ZeroHedge
- Should Britain Leave the EU? Two Analysts Debate | Financial Sense
- Wikileaks Asks If This Is The "Smoking Gun" Email That Will Bring Down Hillary | ZeroHedge
- They're Baaaack: Gas-Guzzlers Take Over The Roads Again | ZeroHedge
- Brazil's New Anti-Corruption Minister Quits After Leak Exposes His Involvement In Corruption Scandal | ZeroHedge
- 18 German Women Sexually Assaulted By Pakistani Refugees At Music Festival | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- People are so excited about this weekend bag that it’s become the... | Business Insider
- This folding machine gun hides in plain sight | Business Insider
- A key executive charged with resolving Deutsche Bank's legal woes is leaving... | Business Insider
- Bernie Sanders went to the Warriors game and called it a 'very... | Business Insider
- Former Zurich Insurance CEO Martin Senn commits suicide | Business Insider
- Apple removed a same-sex couple from some of the... | Business Insider
- This finance trend is so hot even Amazon wants in (AMZN) | Business Insider