Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Signs to Watch for a Major Peak in Stocks and Impending Bear Market (Update) | Financial Sense
- Is This Why Copper Is Collapsing? | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap Sep 4, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- This Is Not A Retest - It's A Live Bear! | ZeroHedge
- #Wynn-ing? Casino Magnate Joins Trump Campaign | ZeroHedge
- Record 94 Million Americans Not In The Labor Force; Participation Rate Lowest Since 1977 | ZeroHedge
- The IMF Just Confirmed The Nightmare Scenario For Central Banks Is Now In Play | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- US employers add 173K jobs in August; rate falls to 5.1... | Business Insider
- Donald Trump can't answer a simple question that's one of... | Business Insider
- Report: Ohio State QB Jones taken to hospital for headache... | Business Insider
- A mom pulled a loaded gun on a group of teenagers who were bullying her son in the park | Business Insider
- Officials wrench control of schools from Mexico unions | Business Insider
- Judge: Injunction against water rule limited to 13 states | Business Insider