Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Echo Boomers Will Fire Up Housing Market | Financial Sense
- Don't Think Armageddon, Think "A Thousand Balls Of Flame... And Then Crickets!" | ZeroHedge
- Dutch Central Bank Refuses To Publish Gold Bar List For Dubious Reasons | ZeroHedge
- American Electorate Loses As Partisan Media Coverage Of Candidate Health Turns Outright Bizarre | ZeroHedge
- Is Google Censoring Search Results To Protect Hillary? | ZeroHedge
- Kurt Kallaus: Slow Growth Persists but US Recession Likely Still Years Away | Financial Sense
- The Script: Ocwen Lawyer Spoon-Fed Foreclosure Questions and Answers to Robo-Witnesses | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jimmy Fallon hilariously impersonated Ryan Lochte at the VMAs | Business Insider
- Arsonists struck the Brussels Institute... | Business Insider
- Why men are more likely to die earlier — from... | Business Insider
- An abandoned 130-year-old skyscraper is now Manhattan’s newest luxury hotel | Business Insider
- Understand the payments industry in one hour with this report | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Here's why the EU's war against Google and... | Business Insider