Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Domestic Auto Sales Tumble, Miss For 6th Of Last 7 Months (Don't Tell Phil LeBeau) | ZeroHedge
- Airlines Stocks Plunge After DoJ Probes Collusion On High Prices | ZeroHedge
- Tuesday Humor: Merkel's Desktop | ZeroHedge
- CHOKING ON MY OWN BLACK SMOKE | iBankCoin.com
- This is How We Roll | iBankCoin.com
- Now’s Really Not the Time for a Liquidity Crisis | Financial Sense
- Chinese QE Calls Officially Begin: Bond Swap "Sucks Liquidity", "Contributes To Stock Slump", Broker Claims | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day... | StreetInsider.com
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Chinese stocks are still getting smashed despite efforts to... | Business Insider
- 6 mind-blowing facts about Greece's economy | Business Insider
- The US upsets Germany, makes the Women's World Cup final | Business Insider
- The 10 best burger joints in America, according to TripAdvisor | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com