Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Italy's Renzi Goes Toe-to-Toe with the EU over Italy's Troubled Banks | ZeroHedge
- Germany Admits "Islamist Terror Has Arrived" As It Prepares To Deploy Army In "Crisis" Situations | ZeroHedge
- Turkey Creates "Traitors' Cemetery" For Dead Coup-Plotters | ZeroHedge
- Even Bank of America Is Losing It: "Bring On The Herikoputa!" | ZeroHedge
- ExxonMobil Tumbles To 2-Month Lows After Earnings Miss Worst Analyst Expectation | ZeroHedge
- Why Social Fragmentation Suits The Powers That Be | ZeroHedge
- US Oil Rig Count Rises At Fastest Rate Since Jan 2010 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Negative interest rates could be an opportunity for... | Business Insider
- Here's what the new Superman will look like on The CW's 'Supergirl' | Business Insider
- Astronomers are trying to do the... | Business Insider
- 11 optical illusions your brain simply can't handle | Business Insider
- What it's like inside the secret, members-only club hidden in Disneyland | Business Insider
- Friday is your last chance to get Windows 10 for free (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Will and Kate are heading back to Canada — here's a... | Business Insider