Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Three Perspectives on Falling Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- Welcome To Arcadia – The California Suburb Where Rich Chinese Stash Cash In McMansions | ZeroHedge
- Europe’s Fatal Flaw Laid Bare For All To See. Again. | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Strategy for Monday | iBankCoin.com
- Five Stocks Flying at Cruising Altitude Today | iBankCoin.com
- Plunging Oil Prices a Game-Changer for Major Pipeline Projects | Financial Sense
- Prepare For GDP Downgrades: Eurasian Snow Flashes Polar Vortex 2.0 Warning | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Richard Branson Responds To Elon Musk's Criticism; 'We're About... | Business Insider
- US military airdrops weapons, ammunition to Kurds near... | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- Why The Euro Crisis Is Far From Over | Business Insider
- Japan PM Abe loses two female ministers over cash... | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer Says the No. 1 Issue to the Stock Market Is Ebola | TheStreet.com
- Apple Gets Ready to Show Off Its Latest iPad and More: Live Blog | TheStreet.com