Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Founding Fathers Fought the Revolutionary War to Stop the Type of Militarized Police We Now Have In the U.S. | ZeroHedge
- China’s Credit Slowdown Raises Concerns About Overall Economic Health | Financial Sense
- 10 Things You Need to Know To Become a Great Leader | Altucher Confidential
- Under What Conditions Can The US Army Engage Citizens: The Army's "Civil Disturbances" Primer | ZeroHedge
- THESE ARE THE NEW TRADES | iBankCoin.com
- Is China’s Economy Too Big to Transform? | Financial Sense
- Gold & Bond Yields Slide As Stocks Continue Hawkish Surge | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hamas Attacks Tel Aviv As Ceasefire Hopes Fade | Business Insider
- Here's The Law That Might Protect The Missouri Cop Who Shot... | Business Insider
- Judge Takes Deployed Sailor's Daughter And Gives Temporary Custody To Her Mother | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Rick Perry Just Produced An Over-The-Top Attack Video To Respond To His... | Business Insider
- Steve Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Take A Tour Of Imgur's Quirky San Francisco Office | Business Insider