Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Importance of Owning Stocks | Financial Sense
- WTF Chart Of The Day: Baltic Dry Index Crashes To Lowest In 29 Years | ZeroHedge
- Friday Humor - Playing Possum | ZeroHedge
- Visualizing The Cost Of Living Around The World | ZeroHedge
- Will Draghi’s QE work? | Financial Sense
- Meet Loretta Lynch – Obama’s Attorney General Nominee Who Might Be Even Worse than Eric Holder | ZeroHedge
- Q4 GDP Advance Estimate at 2.6% Disappoints Expectations | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Americans eager to sup up Cuba's 'forbidden fruits... | Business Insider
- Here's how Jonah Peretti came up with the idea for HuffPo | Business Insider
- Former Oregon State Student May Spend A Year In Jail... | Business Insider
- The Father Of A Sick Child Wants His County To Kick Unvaccinated Kids... | Business Insider
- A case for Apple's giant iPad might have just leaked (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Poor People And Rich People Have A Vastly Different Outlook On Fate | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com