Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- CIA Urged Rebels to Assassinate Their Own In Order to Create “Martyrs” | ZeroHedge
- Bumbling Failures | iBankCoin.com
- Frontrunning: March 4 | ZeroHedge
- Despite Hard Data Collapse, US Services Surveys Point To Modest Bounce In February | ZeroHedge
- Fearing the Machine: AI vs. Cybernetics | Financial Sense
- Oil Price Collapse: Supply or Demand? | Financial Sense
- On February 7, 2009 Bernanke Admitted What It Was All About | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The story of one man's arrest illustrates the horrifying police practices in Ferguson | Business Insider
- Samsung's European boss says the relationship between... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Scientists measured 15,000 penises and determined the... | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (AAPL, GOOG, FB) | Business Insider
- Why Mark Zuckerberg thinks everyone can learn something from Pixar | Business Insider
- A 114-year-old college that's closing its doors may have to give... | Business Insider