Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Most Dangerous Person On The Planet Today: Hillary Clinton | ZeroHedge
- Loss of FBI Reputation Irredeemable: James Comey Will Resign | ZeroHedge
- 2016 Debate Preparation Begins | ZeroHedge
- State Street: "Move Over Zero Hedge, There Is A New Bear In Town" | ZeroHedge
- Keith Scott's Family Release Video Of Police Shooting | ZeroHedge
- How Sand Is Leading to a Fracking Comeback | Financial Sense
- Global Central Bank-Driven Stock Rally Fizzles; Crude Rebounds On Saudi Oil Production Cut Report | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Canadian dollar's getting smoked | Business Insider
- The iPhone hologram projector is real — here's how to make one | Business Insider
- The 20 hottest housing markets in America | Business Insider
- 14 great books about sports that will change the way you look at the game | Business Insider
- Yahoo sued for gross negligence over massive 2014... | Business Insider
- Japan's antitrust watchdog is... | Business Insider
- The top 5 fintech predictions for 2016 | Business Insider