Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Economy Sees Substantial Increase After Weak QI, Though Still Below Average | Financial Sense
- Chinese Farmer Loses Life Savings | Financial Sense
- Why Turkey's "ISIS-Free Zone" Is The Most Ridiculous US Foreign Policy Outcome In History | ZeroHedge
- VIX ETF Surges Off Record Low Crushing Contango Cruisers | ZeroHedge
- AAPL Down 15% From Highs - Worst Drop In 30 Months | ZeroHedge
- Dramatic Footage Of Saudi Tanks Invading Yemen | ZeroHedge
- Something Just Snapped: Container Freight Rates From Asia To Europe Crash 23% In One Week | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- NOW HIRING: Business Insider is looking for a retail intern | Business Insider
- Floyd Mayweather picked a guy who has lost 3 of his last 6 fights as his... | Business Insider
- J. Crew is in danger of becoming the next Gap | Business Insider
- Deutsche Bank is changing its strategy on interest rate... | Business Insider
- Travelers CEO steps down, cites progression of a 'variant' of ALS (TRV) | Business Insider
- It's surprisingly easy to share your $99 Amazon Prime membership with someone else | Business Insider
- Puerto Rico is not Greece (GREK, MUB, MUNI) | Business Insider