Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 3 Reasons Yellen's FOMC Remains Dovish | Financial Sense
- Are Commodities Talking to Us? | Financial Sense
- Two Weeks After Upgrading Stocks, Goldman Downgrades Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Split Times at Mr. Market’s High | iBankCoin.com
- Like Dripping Silver Icicles | Financial Sense
- How To Go Out At The Top | Altucher Confidential
- Respecting the Message of Bob Farrell’s Rule #7 | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's What Muslims All Over The World Eat To Break The Ramadan Fast | Business Insider
- 21 Stunning Photos Taken By A 15-Year-Old Instagram Photographer | Business Insider
- Dodge Could Be Building The Most Powerful Sedan Ever | Business Insider
- Get Ready For An Unusually Busy Week For The Economy | Business Insider
- Terrifying Iceberg Collapse Caught On Camera | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- The Godfather Of Las Vegas Sports Betting Is Auctioning His Rancho Santa Fe Mansion For... | Business Insider