Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Earnings Still Matter | ZeroHedge
- President Hillary Clinton Will Oppose Crude Oil Exports | Financial Sense
- Hillary Pushes HFT Tax (A Day After BlackRock Warns Of "Wild Price Swings") | ZeroHedge
- How to Become a Superforecaster | Financial Sense
- What Happens To Our Economy As Millions Of People Lose The Habits Of Hard Work? | ZeroHedge
- Optimistic Narrative for China? | Financial Sense
- Despite Stocks Surge, FANG Favorites Are Falling | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Latest: Another Israeli stabbed in Jerusalem | Business Insider
- Manufacturer inspecting other engines after jetliner fire... | Business Insider
- Senate Democrats preparing legislative package to curb... | Business Insider
- The World Bank is betting on mass migration driving the global... | Business Insider
- James Blake: Police watchdog substantiates force complaint... | Business Insider
- Regional bloc: South Sudan factions violated truce 53... | Business Insider
- Thousands gather at Brooklyn charter schools rally | Business Insider