Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It Is Mathematically Impossible To Pay Off All Of Our Debt | ZeroHedge
- Silver Lining in Soft Econ Reads | Financial Sense
- Japan Pleases Markets With Surprise Growth | Financial Sense
- Chinese 'Virus' Spreads To Germany: Meet The Company That Went From Record High To Zero In 1 Week | ZeroHedge
- With ISIS Controlling "More Than Half Of Syria", The US Prepares To Pounce | ZeroHedge
- Is Gartman About To "Gartman" Himself? | ZeroHedge
- China's Tulipmania Full Frontal: Shenzhen's Parabolic Stocks Just Hit 67x P/E | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Stunning photos from the new One World Observatory that sits a quarter mile above Manhattan... | Business Insider
- Science proves that the trendy 'dad bod' that girls are going crazy over is for real | Business Insider
- It sounds like Apple will make it nearly impossible to jailbreak the iPhone with iOS 9 (AAPL) | Business Insider
- The moment when I understood the untranslatable Chinese word ‘guanxi' | Business Insider
- LEAKED: This Microsoft app lets you copy from Windows and paste to... | Business Insider
- Bank of Japan holds fire on stimulus after upbeat GDP... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek