Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- This Is What Central Bank Failure Looks Like (Part 2) | ZeroHedge
- Follow The Results From The New Hampshire Primary - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche Bank Stock Crashes To Record Low | ZeroHedge
- The Mad Stewards of Gondor | Financial Sense
- "Jingle Mail" Makes Comeback In Canada As Underwater Borrowers Mail Keys Back To Banks | ZeroHedge
- Germany Shuts Down Canadian Bank Tied To Money Laundering | ZeroHedge
- Last Pillar Standing Breaks - They're Taking Out The "Generals" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Germany's top finance official has 'no concerns' about Deutsche Bank... | Business Insider
- How East Coast surf culture is the complete opposite of the West Coast's | Business Insider
- France's data protection authority is cracking down on... | Business Insider
- It's becoming clear that there were 3 big reasons for the Knicks'... | Business Insider
- The solar company Elon Musk cofounded is getting obliterated | Business Insider
- Ending Flint's water crisis is going to... | Business Insider
- Professor who said Christians and Muslims 'worship the same... | Business Insider