Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- WACC Is Back: Getting Ready To Live In An Era Of Rising Rates | ZeroHedge
- “Otto” Self-Driving Truck Test on Ohio Roads This Week | Financial Sense
- "Fake News" Site Threatens Washington Post With Defamation Suit, Demands Retraction | ZeroHedge
- Gold Suffers Sharp Decline as Oil Jumps | Financial Sense
- US Service Sector Rebounds in November; Majority of Businesses Positive on Direction of Economy | Financial Sense
- Key Events In The Coming Weeks: Italy Aftermath, ECB, ISM, Consumer Confidence | ZeroHedge
- Watch Ron Paul Ask If Trump Can Leash Pentagon "Mad Dog" Mattis: Live Feed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Paris is banning half the cars on the roads amid the worst winter... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- Liberty Mutual is buying an insurance company from a Chinese giant for about... | Business Insider
- How a misunderstanding led to a former CIA programmer... | Business Insider
- The death toll for the Oakland warehouse fire has risen to... | Business Insider
- Uber just bought a startup to help launch the company's... | Business Insider
- Shockingly common misconceptions about Islam | Business Insider