Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "One Of The Defining Investment Moments Of The Next Few Years" | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Strategy for Tuesday | iBankCoin.com
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- Gold Tumbles Most In 6 Weeks As USD Surges | ZeroHedge
- THE MARKET IS STARTING TO HEAD LOWER NOW–STARTING TO HEAD LOWER NOW | iBankCoin.com
- The Manufacturing World Suddenly Goes Into Reverse: Global August PMI Summary | ZeroHedge
- Where Do ISIS Fighters Come From? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com
- An Enormous House Fit For A Silicon Valley Billionaire Just... | Business Insider
- American Airlines: We Aren't Changing Reclining-Seat... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day... | StreetInsider.com
- Second US reporter murdered as Iraq forces advance | Business Insider
- Man Accused Of Leaking Naked Celebrity iCloud... | Business Insider
- The 21 Most Miserable Countries In The World | Business Insider