Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fracking Comes to the Arctic in a New Alaska Oil Boom | Financial Sense
- Failing Malls Turn Empty Parking Lots Into Carnivals To Generate Cash | ZeroHedge
- Measuring Hard and Soft Power in a Potential War With North Korea | Financial Sense
- China Update - Why Is the Consensus Now So Optimistic? | Financial Sense
- IMF Drops Pledge To "Resist All Forms Of Protectionism" | ZeroHedge
- Rising Rates and Shrinking Balance Sheets Pose Risks Ahead | Financial Sense
- American Airlines Employee Suspended After Hitting Mother, Challenging Passenger To A Fight | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2 small firms are going to make a killing on Cardinal Health... | Business Insider
- The 15 highest-paying jobs in finance in the US, according to LinkedIn | Business Insider
- 15 habits of self-made millionaires, from a man who spent 5 years studying rich people... | Business Insider
- Young investors are piling into Snapchat but they're overlooking a... | Business Insider
- Der Spiegel's latest cover features Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un... | Business Insider
- Happiness expert shares the one key both philosophers and... | Business Insider
- ISIS militant linked to Turkey nightclub attack reportedly killed by US forces | Business Insider