Covered Call Picks (VVUS,MBI,IVN,KWK,GS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|IVN||Ivanhoe Mines Ltd||19.2||20||2.8||14.30%||Jan-12|
|KWK||Quicksilver Resources Inc||7.43||7.5||0.9||11.40%||Jan-12|
|GS||Goldman Sachs Group Inc||89.4||90||7.2||8.10%||Jan-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $11.48.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $7.26. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $14.96.
Ivanhoe Mines Ltd (IVN) is currently trading at $19.19. Its 52 week range is between $12.11 and $30.03.
Quicksilver Resources Inc (KWK) is currently trading at $7.43. Its 52 week range is $6.17 and $15.98.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS) is currently trading at $89.4. Its 52 week range is between $84.27 and $175.34.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It Wasn't Us - Pentagon Shrugs At "Exaggerating, Sloppy, Uncaring" Russian Jet Shootdown | ZeroHedge
- Mixed Demand For 5 Year Paper As Auction Tails | ZeroHedge
- Markets Swoon On News Terrorist's Explosive Belt Was Found In Paris Trash Can | ZeroHedge
- Apple Accounted For 20% Of All U.S. Margin Expansion Since 2010 - Why This Matters | ZeroHedge
- Could Stocks Rise 20%-50% in the Next Six Months? | ZeroHedge
- The Founding Fathers Warned Of This | ZeroHedge
- 17 Seconds That Changed The World - Leaked Letter Exposes Turkey's Hair-Trigger Reality | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- It feels warm, and that's bullish | Business Insider
- Pentagon: This is Turkey and Russia's incident, and 'our focus is on ISIS... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- The 19 foods everyone tries to order on Seamless for Thanksgiving | Business Insider
- Ex-student applies for probation over mac and cheese rant... | Business Insider
- Harrowing pictures show how dire the European refugee crisis has become | Business Insider
- US military helicopter crashes in South Korea, killing 2 | Business Insider