Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Chimes at Midnight | iBankCoin.com
- 5 Truly Crazy Assertions From Jamie Dimon's Barron's Cover Story | ZeroHedge
- ReTuRN OF THe APRiL FooL... | ZeroHedge
- STTG Q1 2015 Reader Feedback – Please Rate our Market Recaps! | FundMyMutualFund
- Ugly Month/Quarter Ends With Corn Holed, Stocks Sold, Bonds "Good As Gold" | ZeroHedge
- Bad News For America's Biggest Housing Bubble: San Francisco Home Prices Suffer Biggest Drop In Three Years | ZeroHedge
- The Monetary Approach Reigns Supreme | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (AMZN, FB, AAPL) | Business Insider
- IS executes at least 30 civilians in central Syria:... | Business Insider
- McDonald's is raising wages by 10% | Business Insider
- Samsung, LG agree to end legal feuds | Business Insider
- European stocks are climbing after more positive news about the recovery | Business Insider
- 18 brilliant ideas for the skyscraper of the future | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com