Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Does the U.S. Have the Highest Corporate Tax Rates in the World? | Financial Sense
- EU Confidence Hits 7-Year High (Just Don't Tell The Record Number Of Unemployed) | ZeroHedge
- Another Sign That Central Planning Works: Condom Shortage In Cuba | ZeroHedge
- Retail Store Closures Soar In 2014: At Highest Pace Since Lehman Collapse | ZeroHedge
- Goodbye Biotech "Growth Bubble"; Hello Pharma "M&A Bubble" - Novartis Enters Fray With $25 Billion In Transactions | ZeroHedge
- "Riders On The Storm:" A Fictional Letter Explaining What Is Going On In Russia | ZeroHedge
- A Transaction Fee Might Save Capital Markets... & Protect Us From Skynet! | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 9 Ways To Destroy Your Credit Score | Business Insider
- Tumblr Says It Has More People Talking TV Than Twitter [THE BRIEF] | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- A Couple Asked The Internet To Name Their Child, And The Winning Name Was... | Business Insider
- Xiaomi — 'The Apple Of China' — Spent Nearly $600,000 On A Two-Letter URL | Business Insider
- Buy Google at $375 -- Because the Stock Is Headed for an Apple-Like Decline | TheStreet.com
- 14 Reasons Why The Qatar World Cup Is Going To Be A Disaster | Business Insider