Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Early China Strength Fades Fast As Margin Debt Plunges Most In 3 Years | ZeroHedge
- NSA Leak: "Washington Is Negotiating With Every Nation That Borders China... So As To 'Confront' Beijing" | ZeroHedge
- Domestic Auto Sales Tumble, Miss For 6th Of Last 7 Months (Don't Tell Phil LeBeau) | ZeroHedge
- Case-Shiller US Home Price Index Drops Most In A Year | ZeroHedge
- The Air We Breathe | ZeroHedge
- Greek D(efault)-Day Arrives, As Does China's Plunge Protection Team | ZeroHedge
- "Diva Of Distress" Dissed: Court Tosses Lynn Tilton's Lawsuit Against SEC, Which Is Suing Her For Fraud | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- It turns out the NSA was collecting voice... | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider
- BI Intelligence | Business Insider
- Stock futures are higher after Monday's chaos (SPY, DJI, IXIC, USO, TLT, GREK, WTI, OIL, VDE... | Business Insider
- Apple Music launches today and the reviews are already in: it's great for discovering... | Business Insider
- Pre-Open... | StreetInsider.com