Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What The Yen Might Reveal | ZeroHedge
- Citigroup Chief Economist Thinks Only "Helicopter Money" Can Save The World Now | ZeroHedge
- Austrian Economics Is Now Equivalent To Terrorism Thanks To Latest Islamic State "Gold Standard" Propaganda Clip | ZeroHedge
- A Winter of Discontent for Russia | Financial Sense
- This Is What Happened The Last Time Malaysia Faced A Currency Crisis | ZeroHedge
- "No Recovery For You!" Brazil Officially Enters Recession, Goldman Calls Numbers "Disquieting" | ZeroHedge
- What Happens When A Company, Or An Economy, Can’t Squeeze Any More Juice Out Of The Lemon | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik | Business Insider
- A 24-year-old was held 4 months... | Business Insider
- China fears keep markets on edge as stocks rally | Business Insider
- Bolt wins world treble with relay gold | Business Insider
- African superstars, Bono in campaign to empower women | Business Insider
- 5 killed, 24 injured in attacks in southeast Turkey | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek