Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Lowest Common Urinator? | ZeroHedge
- In Dramatic Outcome, Austria's Right Wing Presidential Candidate Is Defeated Thanks To Postal Votes | ZeroHedge
- Ralph Acampora: Technicians Are Very Bearish Right Now | Financial Sense
- Buy Gold As “Extremely Low-Risk Asset” – Rogoff Advice To Creditor Nations | ZeroHedge
- Oil Climbs Higher as Goldman Sachs Sees Glut Shift to Deficit | Financial Sense
- The "Doom Loop Is Coming Back" - Deutsche Bank Sees "No Further Upside For European Stocks" | ZeroHedge
- A June Fed Funds Rate Hike Risks a September Economic Stall | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Wildfires in the US are getting bigger and causing more... | Business Insider
- Draymond Green is defending his dirty kick to a Thunder... | Business Insider
- This is how Taco Bell, Starbucks, and other fast-food chains are... | Business Insider
- How subscription video on-demand... | Business Insider
- The startup that's looking to disrupt 'convenience... | Business Insider
- Former Chinese foreign minister: America must '... | Business Insider
- Daymond John reveals what he learned from losing $750,000 on... | Business Insider