Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Watch As China Is Swept Under The Worst Sandstorm In 18 Years | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Demography + Debt = Doom | ZeroHedge
- I AM NOW UP 6% FOR THE DAY | iBankCoin.com
- Harry Reid Issues Statement On "Hateful Racist" Cliven Bundy | ZeroHedge
- Turning Points | Financial Sense
- Big Four Economic Indicators See Strong Advance | Financial Sense
- Japan Trade Deficit Largest in History; Imports Soar, Exports Barely Up | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Should You Buy Or Lease A Car? | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- How Knowledge of Credit Suisse's Dark Pool... | Business Insider
- Apple's Astronomical 800... | Business Insider
- Facebook Sees A Big Beat On Profits But Desktop Business Is In Decline (FB) | Business Insider
- Troy University Offensive Lineman Squats 810 Pounds With Perfect Form | Business Insider
- Google Could End Up Paying For The Samsung/Apple Lawsuit (GOOG) | Business Insider