Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- GLOBAL GROWTH IS BACK | iBankCoin.com
- AND NoW FoR A MeSSaGe FRoM YouR EBoLa CZaR... | ZeroHedge
- Despite WHO's Confidence, Mali Becomes 6th West African Nation With Ebola | ZeroHedge
- US Manufacturing PMI Tumbles, Biggest Miss In 14 Months | ZeroHedge
- Meanwhile, This Is Who Is Quietly Buying All The Cheap Oil | ZeroHedge
- Are You DTF? | iBankCoin.com
- Smart People Listen To Radiohead, Dumb People Listen To Beyoncé, Study Finds | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Use These Tips To Be Happier At Work | Business Insider
- Struggling Emerge Energy Is Ready to Soar on Oil Price Recovery | TheStreet.com
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Caterpillar Crushes Expectations And The Stock Is Going Nuts (CAT) | Business Insider
- Stock Market Today: Stocks Look to End the Week Higher After Flurry of Earnings | TheStreet.com
- U. Oregon Report Suggests Limiting... | Business Insider
- South Africa 282-9 in second New Zealand ODI | Business Insider