Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Thanks to the Fed, the Patient Is Now Past the Point of No Return | ZeroHedge
- The Bubble is in Cash, Not Stocks… | ZeroHedge
- The "Real" Retail Story: The Consumer Economy Remains At A Recessionary Level | ZeroHedge
- In Iraq, the United States and Iran Align Against the Islamic State | Financial Sense
- German Finance Minister Tells EU Leaders: Free Money Party's Over | ZeroHedge
- JPMorgan Warns Military Escalation In Ukraine "May Lead To A Lehman-Style Shock" | ZeroHedge
- Is It Time to Ignore the Fed? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- OBAMA: 'WE DON'T HAVE A STRATEGY YET' ON ISIS | Business Insider
- I Ate Brain Candy For A Week To Make Myself Smarter And More Alert | Business Insider
- Stunning Time-Lapse Video Shows Just How Huge Burning Man Really Is | Business Insider
- Here's The Epic Tribute Video For A Police Dog Killed In The Line Of Duty | Business Insider
- Apple's Mobile... | Business Insider
- 15 Stunning Portraits Of Exotic Animals Closer Than You've Ever Seen Them... | Business Insider
- Here's Why Alibaba Is Becoming A Huge Threat To Amazon And... | Business Insider