Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Asian Gold Premiums Hit New Highs as Europe Urged to Start Aggressive QE | Financial Sense
- Atypical Global Recovery Underway | Financial Sense
- Abenomics in Review: Yen, Inflation, Exports, Imports | Financial Sense
- America's Bubble Economy Is Going To Become An Economic Black Hole | ZeroHedge
- Rally the Fade; Fade the Rally | iBankCoin.com
- Yet Another Debt Chart That Is Not Big Enough To Fit Japan | ZeroHedge
- The Rich Actually Are Different | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Alex Rodriguez Reportedly Sold His Miami Beach Mansion For A $15 Million Profit | Business Insider
- Foreigners Are Piling Into Japanese... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Toronto Mayor Denies Smoking Crack, Brother Calls Gawker... | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know This Morning | Business Insider
- This Week's Volatility Reflects A Major Change In The Market's... | Business Insider
- The Best Restaurant In Los Angeles Is Providence | Business Insider