Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Sell In December And Go Away" - Why Goldman Sees The Market Going Nowhere In 2016 | ZeroHedge
- 17 Seconds That Changed The World - Leaked Letter Exposes Turkey's Hair-Trigger Reality | ZeroHedge
- Student "Tyrants In Training" Demand Journalists Swear Loyalty Oath Before Reporting On Them | ZeroHedge
- "We Reduced Our Short In The Euro" - Did Goldman Just Hint Draghi May Do Nothing Next Week | ZeroHedge
- Charting The Full Impact Of Europe's Plunging Currency On U.S. Corporate Revenues | ZeroHedge
- US Backed "Rebels" Execute Russian Pilots While Parachuting, Caught On Tape | ZeroHedge
- Let It Snow - California Drought Recovery Remains "Extremely Unlikely" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The luxury pet company... | Business Insider
- Brady says despite no matchup, he still respects Peyton | Business Insider
- Apple is bringing Apple Pay to China (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Family of Cleveland boy shot by police want new... | Business Insider
- Boston Marathon bombing survivors brace for movies on... | Business Insider
- US rockers want to be first band to reopen Bataclan | Business Insider
- I was skeptical about virtual reality until I watched this horrifying interactive... | Business Insider