Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why the $20 Oil Predictions Are Wrong | Financial Sense
- Goldman Warns This Extreme Indicator "Is Rare Outside Of A Recession" | ZeroHedge
- China and Global Market Turbulence | Financial Sense
- CaLLiNG ALL MuPPeTS... | ZeroHedge
- China Dramatically Intervenes To Boost Stocks Despite Reports It Won't; US Futtures Slump On J-Hole | ZeroHedge
- The Future of the Internet Is at Risk | Financial Sense
- China "Punishes" Hundreds For "Maliciously" Manipulating The Market | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Texans take preseason win over Saints 27-13 | Business Insider
- Horror film legend Wes Craven dies at 76 | Business Insider
- The craziest outfits at the MTV Video Music Awards | Business Insider
- Starting offenses struggle, Cardinals beat Raiders 30-23 | Business Insider
- 2 US F-22 fighter jets in Poland for exercises with ally | Business Insider
- Rare photos of 19th-century blacks speak to modern... | Business Insider
- Last Titanic lunch menu, saved by survivor, going to... | Business Insider