Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Shake Shock: Spot The Fast Food Outlier | ZeroHedge
- Market Closed Down: I Won Again | iBankCoin.com
- Ray Dalio Slams Buffett For Being "Wrong On Gold", Says "Social Disruption" Is Inevitable | ZeroHedge
- Robots on Verge of Replacing Human Anesthesiologists | Financial Sense
- Are You Guilty Of Crimes Against Young Americans? | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap May 21, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Meanwhile, Mass Layoffs Continue For America's Miners | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- McDonald's should do whatever it takes to acquire this New York City-based Chipotle-... | Business Insider
- LA tech guru explains the startup movement that is going to define the next... | Business Insider
- A founder who sold his company for $260 million is being sued by the company that... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- AGEISM IN HOLLYWOOD: Producers told Maggie... | Business Insider
- Obama looks to anchor Tunisia's democratic gains | Business Insider
- Dogs domesticated over 27,000 years ago: study | Business Insider