Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- U.S. Consumer Spending: A Positive Surprise! | Financial Sense
- ECB Moving Closer to Unconventional Policy | Financial Sense
- Rise in Housing Starts Disappoint, Permits Fall | Financial Sense
- It's Time To Retire Gross Domestic Product As A Measure of Prosperity | ZeroHedge
- De-Escalation Off: US Deploys Troops To Poland | ZeroHedge
- Whitney Tilson on The Art Of Value Investing | iBankCoin.com
- 85% of Pension Funds to Fail in Three Decades | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What Happened To 7 Of The Earliest Employees Who Launched Amazon | Business Insider
- BREMMER: Russia Wants This Deal To 'Weaken The Ukrainian Government To The Point Of... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Chinese Government Admits One Fifth Of Country's Farmland Is Polluted | Business Insider
- Make Money on Apple Analysts' Indecision | TheStreet.com
- HOUSE OF THE DAY: Buy A Lakefront Mansion On Tahoe's 'Billionaires Row... | Business Insider
- Apple Ripped Off This Clock Design For The iPad And Now The Owners... | Business Insider