Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- GET INSIDE THE OIL BARREL WITH ME | iBankCoin.com
- German Bank Predicts Apple Stock Tumbles Over 50% As Shares Roundtrip To $60 | ZeroHedge
- Crude Carnage Sends Stocks Lower Despite Last-Hour Buying-Panic | ZeroHedge
- Europe's "Them" & "Us" Fiscal Faux Pas | ZeroHedge
- Presenting AAPL's Reaction To The Worst Manufacturing Report In 6 years | ZeroHedge
- The Austrian Solution to Greece | ZeroHedge
- You Literally No Nothing At All | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Two llamas on the loose caught the nation's attention in a dramatic chase in Arizona | Business Insider
- How E-Commerce Is Finally Disrupting The $600 Billion-A-Year Grocery Industry... | Business Insider
- Afghanistan post first Cricket World Cup win | Business Insider
- Management shake-up at UK's troubled StanChart bank | Business Insider
- The sneakers from Kanye West's bizarre New York Fashion Week show are going for... | Business Insider
- German MPs set to unblock Greek aid in parliament vote | Business Insider
- Robben adds to tally in Bayern's birthday win | Business Insider