Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Great Graphic: Eurozone Output PMI and GDP | Financial Sense
- Macro Myopia and Preview of the Week's Highlights | ZeroHedge
- BP Pushing the Limits of Technology to Develop Ultra-Deep Fields | Financial Sense
- Short Term Stock Market Pull-Back Developing | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap December 9, 2013 | FundMyMutualFund
- Frontrunning: December 9 | ZeroHedge
- Fed's Fisher Blasts "Flaccid" Monetary Policy, Says More CapEx Needed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- CHINA: Our Smog Is A Major Defensive Advantage On The... | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: Sysco Scoop-Up... | StreetInsider.com
- The Numbers Backing Gilead's Best and Fastest Drug Launch in History | TheStreet.com
- College Football Coach Bought... | Business Insider
- IBM's Jeopardy-Winning Supercomputer Will Power A 'Cognitive, Expert Personal Shopper'... | Business Insider
- 20 Photorealistic Pictures Of Computer-Generated People | Business Insider
- How To Turn Any Car Into A Smart Car For $100 | Business Insider