Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Vice Spending Slows, Unless You’ve Got the Herb | Financial Sense
- World Ponders Life After US Hegemony | ZeroHedge
- Did Germany Secretly Fund Israel's Nuclear Weapons? | ZeroHedge
- Core Inflation Jumps Most Since October Due To Rent, Healthcare Costs | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Re-Tumble After DOJ Said To Block Comcast-Time Warner Deal | ZeroHedge
- DAX Plunges Most In 4 Months, Bund 5 bps Away From Negative | ZeroHedge
- Greece May Pay Wages And Pensions In IOUs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 super-genes that scientists could someday program into your body | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions 4/17: (SUM) (WUBA) | StreetInsider.com
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- 41 pictures that will change how you look at rabbits forever | Business Insider
- This Wall Street analyst call makes no sense | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- UK unemployment just dipped to 5.6% | Business Insider