Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Rand-ian Writing On The Wall | ZeroHedge
- The U.S. Shale Breakeven Price Debate | Financial Sense
- Consumer Confidence Surprises to the Downside | Financial Sense
- Artist's Impression Of Iran This Week | ZeroHedge
- 30 Year Yield Drops Below 3.00% As Richmond Fed Tumbles Most Since 2006 | ZeroHedge
- Global Business Confidence Collapses To Post-Lehman Lows | ZeroHedge
- Michael Brown's Parents (And Al Sharpton) Address Media: Investigation Was 'Broken' - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 11 Things You Never Knew About Thanksgiving | Business Insider
- The World Is Full Of Taxis — And They're All Different | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today (TWTR, GOOG, AMZN, AAPL, CMCSA... | Business Insider
- How 4 Minutes Of CGI Dinosaurs In ‘Jurassic Park’ Took A Year To Make | Business Insider
- A Former Disney Imagineer Built This Incredible Survival Vehicle For His Daughter... | Business Insider
- NASSIM TALEB: Consider The Thanksgiving Turkey... | Business Insider
- The Accidental Tweet From Twitter's CFO Reveals The Company's Biggest Problem (... | Business Insider