Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Current Oil Price Slump Far From Over | Financial Sense
- Risk Off: FX Carry Trades Tumble, Euro Opens Under 1.10; USDJPY Under 121 | ZeroHedge
- Bitcoin Surges After Initial Forecasts Show "No" Vote Ahead | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Window For Hiking Rates Continues To Close | ZeroHedge
- ISM Non-Manufacturing: Continued Growth in June at a Slightly Faster Rate | Financial Sense
- China "Crosses Rubicon" With Stock Bailout; BofA Says PBoC Risks "Hurting Its Credibility" | ZeroHedge
- Silver Market Change Report 5 July, 2015 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China's companies found a solution to stop the massive market crash... | Business Insider
- This $105 watch knocked everything else off my wrist | Business Insider
- Shanghai stocks leap 7.82% at open on government boosts | Business Insider
- An unlikely retailer is beating Victoria's Secret | Business Insider
- Trading... | StreetInsider.com
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (AAPL) | Business Insider