Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Pentagon Says Russia Preparing To Transfer "Powerful Weapons" To Ukraine | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: July 24 | ZeroHedge
- The Usual Small Cap Suspects | iBankCoin.com
- David Einhorn On The M&A Bubble And "Dreams" As An Investment Thesis | ZeroHedge
- Number Of French Jobless Rise To New Record | ZeroHedge
- President Obama Blasts "Tax Inversions Are Wrong", Demands "Economic Patriotism" - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Utility Companies Push Back in Net Metering Battle | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The BRICS Are Trying To Create A Competitor To The IMF — Here's Why It Won't... | Business Insider
- Amazon Plunges: What Wall Street's Saying | TheStreet.com
- German Business Confidence Continues To Fall | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Here Are All Of The Aircraft Shot Down By Putin-Backed Rebels In Eastern... | Business Insider
- Visa Profit Beats Expectations, But Stock Falls (V) | Business Insider
- Lyft Reached An Agreement With New York And Will Launch Today | Business Insider