Credit Suisse Bashes Arena Pharma (ARNA)
Interesting that CS chose to downgrade the obesity drug maker on the day of one of the biggest rallies in recent memory. The DOW rose +250 points, the Nasdaq +66 points, and the S&P 500 rose nearly +30 points today.
Shares of Arena were down -5%.
Kalowski, of Credit Suisse, initiated coverage of Orexigen with an Outperform rating and Arena with an Underperform. Kalowski already rates Vivus at Outperform.
Orexigen has a “favorable risk/reward profile around the pre-approval cardiovascular outcomes trial,” and Vivus as recent “concerns relate to matters that are not new.” But Arena’s prospects may not be as promising, says Kalowski.
“ARNA commendably ushered Belviq through FDA; we believe that sales (ARNA has an approximately 35% royalty) will fall short of the market’s lofty expectations,” he wrote.
Mastery Bottom Line
Mr. Kalowski of Credit Suisse must have written this little piece after snorting a fat line of bath salts.
Anyone who has been following Arena for a while knows that the stock has very low institutional ownership. In fact, around the time that Arena received its FDA approval for Belviq, it was approximately 20% institutional-owned. In the last couple of months it has risen to approximately 32%.
Credit Suisse doesn't have a crystal ball and neither do we. No one knows at this point whether doctors will prescribe Belviq more or Qnexa more. Arena has a lower risk profile so we tend to think that Belviq will be prescribed more, but again, we don't have a time machine.
This seems like a pretty blatant attempt from CS to hold the share-price down so intituitions can continue to back up the truck.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- In Potentially "Lethal Blow" For Obamacare, US Appeals Court Finds Insurance Subsidies Invalid In Most States | ZeroHedge
- The Rot Within, Part I: Our Ponzi Economy | ZeroHedge
- THe PaTH To McJiHaD... | ZeroHedge
- The First Victims of the End of QE – Small Cap Stocks and Junk Bonds | Financial Sense
- Is the Market Due for Another 10% Correction? | Financial Sense
- After Bubble Pops, Saudi Arabia Opens Stock Market To Foreign "Greater Fool" Investors | ZeroHedge
- Japanese Exports Tumble For 2nd Month In A Row, Worst Since Abenomics Began | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How Millennials Missed Out On A Gigantic Fortune In The stock Market | Business Insider
- Here's How Obamacare Could Be Headed For Another Big Supreme... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day... | StreetInsider.com
- The 10 Best Tequila Drinks on the Planet | TheStreet.com
- FAA LIFTS BAN ON FLIGHTS TO ISRAEL | Business Insider
- 14 Tips For Getting Busy People To Read And Respond To Your Emails | Business Insider