Credit Suisse Bashes Arena Pharma (ARNA)
Interesting that CS chose to downgrade the obesity drug maker on the day of one of the biggest rallies in recent memory. The DOW rose +250 points, the Nasdaq +66 points, and the S&P 500 rose nearly +30 points today.
Shares of Arena were down -5%.
Kalowski, of Credit Suisse, initiated coverage of Orexigen with an Outperform rating and Arena with an Underperform. Kalowski already rates Vivus at Outperform.
Orexigen has a “favorable risk/reward profile around the pre-approval cardiovascular outcomes trial,” and Vivus as recent “concerns relate to matters that are not new.” But Arena’s prospects may not be as promising, says Kalowski.
“ARNA commendably ushered Belviq through FDA; we believe that sales (ARNA has an approximately 35% royalty) will fall short of the market’s lofty expectations,” he wrote.
Mastery Bottom Line
Mr. Kalowski of Credit Suisse must have written this little piece after snorting a fat line of bath salts.
Anyone who has been following Arena for a while knows that the stock has very low institutional ownership. In fact, around the time that Arena received its FDA approval for Belviq, it was approximately 20% institutional-owned. In the last couple of months it has risen to approximately 32%.
Credit Suisse doesn't have a crystal ball and neither do we. No one knows at this point whether doctors will prescribe Belviq more or Qnexa more. Arena has a lower risk profile so we tend to think that Belviq will be prescribed more, but again, we don't have a time machine.
This seems like a pretty blatant attempt from CS to hold the share-price down so intituitions can continue to back up the truck.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Memo To WSJ: The CRomnibus Abomination Was Not "A Rare Bipartisan Success" | ZeroHedge
- The Pigmen Win Again | ZeroHedge
- Here's What's Wrong With Corporate America, And The U.S. Economy | ZeroHedge
- The American Public Supports Torture … Because They Don’t Know THIS | ZeroHedge
- Look Who Is Buddy-Buddy With Russia Nowadays | ZeroHedge
- WTF Chart Of The Day: VIX "Noise" Edition | ZeroHedge
- Caption Contest: Dry-Cleaning Edition | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- DAVID BIANCO: The Stock Market Will Likely Go Down Before It Goes Up Again | Business Insider
- Why It's Harder For Women To Say 'No' To Extra Work | Business Insider
- The Best Startup Offices We Saw This Year | Business Insider
- The State Of The UK News Media: A Ranking Of Who's Flying And Who... | Business Insider
- Here's What People In The UK Searched For On Google In 2014 | Business Insider
- The 10 Things In Advertising You Need To Know Today | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer: These Charts Prove It's Oil-and-Gas vs. Everything Else | TheStreet.com