Credit Suisse Bashes Arena Pharma (ARNA)
Interesting that CS chose to downgrade the obesity drug maker on the day of one of the biggest rallies in recent memory. The DOW rose +250 points, the Nasdaq +66 points, and the S&P 500 rose nearly +30 points today.
Shares of Arena were down -5%.
Kalowski, of Credit Suisse, initiated coverage of Orexigen with an Outperform rating and Arena with an Underperform. Kalowski already rates Vivus at Outperform.
Orexigen has a “favorable risk/reward profile around the pre-approval cardiovascular outcomes trial,” and Vivus as recent “concerns relate to matters that are not new.” But Arena’s prospects may not be as promising, says Kalowski.
“ARNA commendably ushered Belviq through FDA; we believe that sales (ARNA has an approximately 35% royalty) will fall short of the market’s lofty expectations,” he wrote.
Mastery Bottom Line
Mr. Kalowski of Credit Suisse must have written this little piece after snorting a fat line of bath salts.
Anyone who has been following Arena for a while knows that the stock has very low institutional ownership. In fact, around the time that Arena received its FDA approval for Belviq, it was approximately 20% institutional-owned. In the last couple of months it has risen to approximately 32%.
Credit Suisse doesn't have a crystal ball and neither do we. No one knows at this point whether doctors will prescribe Belviq more or Qnexa more. Arena has a lower risk profile so we tend to think that Belviq will be prescribed more, but again, we don't have a time machine.
This seems like a pretty blatant attempt from CS to hold the share-price down so intituitions can continue to back up the truck.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Examining American Exceptionalism | ZeroHedge
- In Today's Layoff News: Microsoft Fires 1,850; Intel Cuts 350; Shell Terminating 2,200 | ZeroHedge
- How To Create “Tiny Advantages” And Crush Your Opponents | Altucher Confidential
- "We’re Moving To Tackle Systemic Risk" - India Cracks Down On HFT Scourge | ZeroHedge
- ALL ETFs Are Complete Garbage (Video) | ZeroHedge
- The Ebb and Flow of Inventories | Financial Sense
- End of Debt Supercycle Means Low Rates for Years to Come | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This 344-square-foot apartment in China can transform into 24 different rooms... | Business Insider
- A Singapore startup backed by Bill Ford is... | Business Insider
- As many as 240,000 women have tried DIY abortions because of... | Business Insider
- People have stopped investing in UK businesses ahead of the EU... | Business Insider
- 'Disaster': Donald Trump pounces after Hillary Clinton... | Business Insider
- We might see a long-lost character return to 'Game of Thrones' this week | Business Insider
- P90X founder calls Eddie Lacy a genetic freak, says working out... | Business Insider