Credit Suisse Bashes Arena Pharma (ARNA)
Interesting that CS chose to downgrade the obesity drug maker on the day of one of the biggest rallies in recent memory. The DOW rose +250 points, the Nasdaq +66 points, and the S&P 500 rose nearly +30 points today.
Shares of Arena were down -5%.
Kalowski, of Credit Suisse, initiated coverage of Orexigen with an Outperform rating and Arena with an Underperform. Kalowski already rates Vivus at Outperform.
Orexigen has a “favorable risk/reward profile around the pre-approval cardiovascular outcomes trial,” and Vivus as recent “concerns relate to matters that are not new.” But Arena’s prospects may not be as promising, says Kalowski.
“ARNA commendably ushered Belviq through FDA; we believe that sales (ARNA has an approximately 35% royalty) will fall short of the market’s lofty expectations,” he wrote.
Mastery Bottom Line
Mr. Kalowski of Credit Suisse must have written this little piece after snorting a fat line of bath salts.
Anyone who has been following Arena for a while knows that the stock has very low institutional ownership. In fact, around the time that Arena received its FDA approval for Belviq, it was approximately 20% institutional-owned. In the last couple of months it has risen to approximately 32%.
Credit Suisse doesn't have a crystal ball and neither do we. No one knows at this point whether doctors will prescribe Belviq more or Qnexa more. Arena has a lower risk profile so we tend to think that Belviq will be prescribed more, but again, we don't have a time machine.
This seems like a pretty blatant attempt from CS to hold the share-price down so intituitions can continue to back up the truck.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 2015: The Year Of The American Identity Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Juncker Warns Euro Is Doomed, "Pointless" If Schengen Fails | ZeroHedge
- "Mysterious" Fire Hits Argentine Ministry Of Finance, Destroys Years Of Prior Regime's Files | ZeroHedge
- Do Not Panic America - Elite FBI Teams Are Tracking At least 48 "High Risk" ISIS Suspects In The US | ZeroHedge
- Black Friday Stock Sale Dip-Buyers Ignore China, Credit, Commodity Carnage | ZeroHedge
- US Ally Saudi Arabia's New King Likes Beheading People More Than His Predecessor | ZeroHedge
- The Videos Are In: US Shoppers Go Wild, Beat Each Other Up To Celebrate Black Friday Sales | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Latest: Some Ugandans spent 20 hours awaiting pope | Business Insider
- 50 enterprise startups to bet your career on in 2016 | Business Insider
- Thousands rally for climate action ahead of UN summit | Business Insider
- Browns undecided if Manziel will be active for Ravens | Business Insider
- 7 overseas fashion tech startups spent a week with Google in London — we got... | Business Insider
- How 2 of the world's most powerful and dangerous drug lords compare | Business Insider
- Iran unveils upgraded model for oil contracts | Business Insider