Credit Suisse Bashes Arena Pharma (ARNA)
Interesting that CS chose to downgrade the obesity drug maker on the day of one of the biggest rallies in recent memory. The DOW rose +250 points, the Nasdaq +66 points, and the S&P 500 rose nearly +30 points today.
Shares of Arena were down -5%.
Kalowski, of Credit Suisse, initiated coverage of Orexigen with an Outperform rating and Arena with an Underperform. Kalowski already rates Vivus at Outperform.
Orexigen has a “favorable risk/reward profile around the pre-approval cardiovascular outcomes trial,” and Vivus as recent “concerns relate to matters that are not new.” But Arena’s prospects may not be as promising, says Kalowski.
“ARNA commendably ushered Belviq through FDA; we believe that sales (ARNA has an approximately 35% royalty) will fall short of the market’s lofty expectations,” he wrote.
Mastery Bottom Line
Mr. Kalowski of Credit Suisse must have written this little piece after snorting a fat line of bath salts.
Anyone who has been following Arena for a while knows that the stock has very low institutional ownership. In fact, around the time that Arena received its FDA approval for Belviq, it was approximately 20% institutional-owned. In the last couple of months it has risen to approximately 32%.
Credit Suisse doesn't have a crystal ball and neither do we. No one knows at this point whether doctors will prescribe Belviq more or Qnexa more. Arena has a lower risk profile so we tend to think that Belviq will be prescribed more, but again, we don't have a time machine.
This seems like a pretty blatant attempt from CS to hold the share-price down so intituitions can continue to back up the truck.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Brexit and the Revolt Against Globalism | Financial Sense
- Beijing Is Falling... Literally | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Leaves Markets in Upheaval | Financial Sense
- Union Jacked | Financial Sense
- US Services Economy Disappoints As 'Optimism' Plunges To Record Lows | ZeroHedge
- Oil Tumbles Amid Bad News For Glut As US Offshore To Hit Record In 2017 | ZeroHedge
- Why China Is Arming Its Fishing Fleet | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here are all the big banks that paid Hillary Clinton for speeches... | Business Insider
- BRANSON: Virgin has lost a third of its value after... | Business Insider
- 8 bad communication habits you should break immediately | Business Insider
- Everybody needs to stop worrying about the end of the world | Business Insider
- Putin: Turkey says it's sorry for downing a Russian... | Business Insider
- Here are the 5 best hammers you can buy right now | Business Insider
- Here's the Olympics gear you can get to show your support for Team USA | Business Insider