Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) Splits - Wait a week to buy
Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS) shares split 2:1 this morning and now that shares are in the $32 range vs. $70 we're interested. Tack on a downgrade last week by Robert W. Baird & Co saying the recent run-up in the stock price and warm weather that may hurt Q3 results could push shares down even further.
Analyst J. David Cumberland said shares of the sporting goods retailer have risen over 22 percent since the company's strong second-quarter report. He downgraded the stock to "Neutral" from "Outperform."
In August, Dick's said second-quarter earnings rose 87% on higher sales from both existing and new stores.
(In millions of USD)
Cumberland warned, however, that mild weather conditions hurt recent sales of cold weather merchandise for many retailers. Cumberland said temperatures have been six degrees above average in Dick's markets over the past four weeks, which may hurt third-quarter results.
In the long-term, Cumberland said the company will continue reporting strong earnings and sales growth because of its market leadership and strong execution. Cumberland said Dick's has 7 percent market share in the $52 billion sporting goods retail market.
Bring on the hate, we welcome that, the more ammo to push shares down even further, if we see below $30, the Masters recommend jumping in.
Article by Ted Gottsegen
Contributor at TheStockMasters.com
Disclaimer: The Author does not hold any positions or shares in the securities mentioned in this publication nor does he stuff his shorts.
Our Original newsletter that has enlightened our subscribers for over a year. It contains What to Buy, What to Sell, and Market Commentary. We have a 17.5% return since October 2006 and the average wait for a return is only 3.61 months and we have the track record to prove it (click here to view Master Picks track record). We've had great feedback, and in turn have already created a unique following of thousands of Stockmasters. Our asking price is only $45 for a 12 month subscription.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What The Yen Might Reveal | ZeroHedge
- Yuan Devaluation Kills Two Birds With One Stone | Financial Sense
- Chinese Stocks To Plunge Another 35%, BofA Says | ZeroHedge
- US Stays Solid Amid Global Quakes | Financial Sense
- The Fed's Hands Are Tied Unless an Complete Meltdown Hits | ZeroHedge
- When The Yen Was A Last Resort Safety Bid, You Know It Was Bad | ZeroHedge
- Zulauf and Chandler on Currency Wars, Banking Crises, and Stock Market | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's how much sugar is in your favorite drinks | Business Insider
- Extremists kill 28 in villages in northeastern Nigeria | Business Insider
- Fan at Phils game hurt soon after Manfred talks about... | Business Insider
- 3 Al-Jazeera English reporters await Egyptian court ruling... | Business Insider
- 10 TV shows you used to be obsessed with that are being resurrected | Business Insider
- 10 years after Hurricane Katrina, here's why New Orleans still faces... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek