Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Payrolls Up 175K, Jobless Rate Climbs to 6.7% | Financial Sense
- Fly Sell: $BBBY | iBankCoin.com
- Wide Spreads to Keep in Mind | iBankCoin.com
- Feds Subpoena Port Authority Records As Christie Probe Deepens | ZeroHedge
- Russian Troops Open Fire In Crimea, Reuters Reports As Kerry Delays Russia Visit | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Close Down Despite Last Hour Buying Panic | ZeroHedge
- Ignorance Can be Better than Bliss | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- 3 Ways To Say 'No' At Work Without Burning Bridges | Business Insider
- A Fascinating Observation About Bubbles And The Fools Who Trade Them | Business Insider
- THE DOW FALLS: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- 5 Things Rich People Just Don't Talk About | TheStreet.com
- This Map Shows How States Can Charge Drivers for Marijuana DUIs | Business Insider
- The 5 Most Interesting Things We Learned About The Actor Who Plays The... | Business Insider