Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- S&P Futures Tumble 1.5% At Open: ES Down 33, Brent Under $60 | ZeroHedge
- Meet New Greek Finance Minister Euclid Tsakalotos | ZeroHedge
- ISM Non-Manufacturing: Continued Growth in June at a Slightly Faster Rate | Financial Sense
- As A Reminder, This Is What Capital Controls In Cyprus Looked Like | ZeroHedge
- Greferendum Results In Landslide "No" Victory | ZeroHedge
- Events Continue to Conspire Against The Fed | Financial Sense
- Nomi Prins: In A World Of Artificial Liquidity – Cash Is King | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The first James Bond comic in 20 years launches this fall, and it sounds great | Business Insider
- Here's what to do when an airline loses your luggage | Business Insider
- Researchers are astonished by the unique sounds beatboxers are able to make | Business Insider
- If you've recently done one of these 3 things, you're at a higher risk for... | Business Insider
- Here’s everything leaving Netflix in July | Business Insider
- Emergency eurozone summit on Greece on Tuesday | Business Insider
- These 12 surprising investors in Uber are poised to get really rich | Business Insider