Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Quality of China’s Yuan Deteriorates – In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- Mexican Central Bank Head Quits Amid Fears Over "Trump Impact" | ZeroHedge
- China Losing Control? PBOC Imposes New Yuan Outflow Limits For First Time In Two Decades | ZeroHedge
- Visualizing The "Tectonic Shift" In The Markets' Narrative | ZeroHedge
- State Senator Slams Soros, Proposes Bill To Charge Protesters As "Economic Terrorists" | ZeroHedge
- Gartman: "Clearly We Were Wrong To Short Crude The Day Before The OPEC Meeting" | ZeroHedge
- Wells Fargo General Counsel Postpones Retirement "In Light Of Recent Events" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Emerging markets are finally catching up on 4G smartphones (GOOG, GOOGL, AAPL) | Business Insider
- MasterCard is turning to AI to prevent false declines (MA) | Business Insider
- Mayors could override Trump on the Paris climate accord — here's how... | Business Insider
- Newly discovered Apple ad from 1984 promised a $24,000 salary for a senior engineer... | Business Insider
- During a 'very engaging,... | Business Insider
- Trump's education secretary is a big advocate for charter schools, but... | Business Insider
- Give back this holiday season with these 16 gifts | Business Insider