Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Decouple-apalooza - Bonds, Yen, Oil, Dollar Diverge From Volumeless Stock Levitation | ZeroHedge
- Is The Market Priced For A Summer Rate-Hike? | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap May 26, 2016 | FundMyMutualFund
- Five Years Later, TEPCO Still Can't Locate 600 Tons Of Melted Radioactive Fuel | ZeroHedge
- "The Freeze Is Finished" - Why Did Saudi Arabia Kill OPEC? | ZeroHedge
- Exposing Detroit's "No School Administrator Left Behind" Program | ZeroHedge
- 3 Things: Auto Angst, Valuation Vulnerabilities, & Delusional Decouplings | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Facebook's WhatsApp could make or break this hot tech IPO (FB) | Business Insider
- Rolls-Royce has unveiled the ultimate tailgating car | Business Insider
- Tupac's custom Hummer just sold for $337,000 | Business Insider
- These are the 2 words that the cochampions of this year's Scripps National... | Business Insider
- The surprising naval origins of 11 common phrases | Business Insider
- More than 4,000 Iraqis have fled to Syria to escape the Islamic State | Business Insider
- Drones are about to fill the skies within the next 5 years... | Business Insider