Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Wrath of Draghi: First German Bank Hits Savers with Negative Interest Rate | ZeroHedge
- Why We're Poorer: Inflation And Deflation Are Now Globalized | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Ally Financial (Formerly GMAC) Admits DoJ Subpoenas On Mortgage-Related Activities | ZeroHedge
- New American Dream: Rented Housing and Public Transit | Financial Sense
- Bad Debt At China's - And The World's - Largest Bank Surges By Most Ever | ZeroHedge
- Goldman On BOJ's Banzainomics: "We Highlight The Potential For Harsh Criticism Of Further Cost-Push Inflation" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Flesh-And-Blood Financial Pros Can't Just Ignore The Robo-Advisor | Business Insider
- Tim Cook’s Gay Declaration Needs a Lot More CEO Support | TheStreet.com
- German Retail Sales Fall Through The Floor | Business Insider
- The Next 'Terminator' Movie Is Going To Rewrite The... | Business Insider
- REPORT: 85% Of Small Business Owners Plan To Expand In 2015 | Business Insider
- Daylight Saving Time Is Bad For Your Health | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek