Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Shiller's CAPE – Is There A Better Measure? | ZeroHedge
- Households' Equity Ownership Reaches 30% - It's Statistical Noise | Financial Sense
- Surge in Global Economic Surprises, Business Confidence Continues | Financial Sense
- Shell's New Permian Play Profitable At $20 A Barrel | ZeroHedge
- SNAP Cracks As Facebook Adds "Stories" | ZeroHedge
- And The Market Breaks... | ZeroHedge
- Gold Bullion Coin Worth $4 Million, Stolen in Berlin Museum Heist | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These are the most and least trusted news outlets in America | Business Insider
- The 21 most believable rumors about Samsung's Galaxy S8, one of... | Business Insider
- How an early Facebook employee created a business that... | Business Insider
- Technical issues are forcing Amazon to delay the public... | Business Insider
- Wearables aren't really a thing — at least not yet | Business Insider
- If you’re getting ready for the GMAT or LSAT, this week is a good time to invest... | Business Insider
- Scientists turned spinach leaves into beating human heart tissue | Business Insider