Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Market Recap Aug 26, 2016 | FundMyMutualFund
- Market Recap Aug 25, 2016 | FundMyMutualFund
- Inventory Growth Slowdown Dashes Hopes For Q3 GDP Bounce Back | ZeroHedge
- China Plans to Slash Crude Demand by 250,000 Bpd | Financial Sense
- Pentagon Admits "Lapses In Accountability" Led To Loss Of Hundreds Of Thousands Of US Guns In Afghanistan And Iraq | ZeroHedge
- Is the UK Economy Doing Better Post-Brexit? | Financial Sense
- Did Turkish President Erdogan Just Use A False Flag To Justify Invading Syria? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's how Boeing plans to extinguish wildfires... | Business Insider
- Initial jobless claims unexpectedly fall | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Credit cards are going the way of fax machines | Business Insider
- Joey Bosa's representatives speak out, accuse Chargers... | Business Insider
- Here’s how to see what Facebook thinks of your political views... | Business Insider
- Yes, that's Linus Torvalds happily chatting with Microsoft folks at... | Business Insider