Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ANTIFA Upset For Not Being Able to Punch 'Nazis' Without Consequences | ZeroHedge
- Your Complete Guide To Sunday's French Presidential Elections First Round | ZeroHedge
- China’s Credit Excess Is Unlike Anything The World Has Ever Seen | ZeroHedge
- Krieger: The American Empire Under Trump Has Become Increasingly Desperate, Dangerous, & Insecure | ZeroHedge
- Trump To Sign Executive Orders On Corporate Inversions and Dodd-Frank Regulations | ZeroHedge
- The Ultimate Guide To Being An Introvert | Altucher Confidential
- Stock Markets Sit Blithely On A Powerful Time Bomb | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Qatari hunting party held hostage in Iraq since 2015 freed | Business Insider
- Trump appears to be bringing back the drug war, but cops may not... | Business Insider
- The North Korea situation is approaching its 'witching hour... | Business Insider
- Banks are suddenly scaling back lending, and Wall Street isn't sure what to make of it | Business Insider
- What it's like to eat dinner at the same... | Business Insider
- 9 years ago, I started a love affair with a supplement that makes me sleep... | Business Insider
- The Air Force is preparing to test a laser cannon on its... | Business Insider