Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Testy Tuesday – Tax Day Edition | ZeroHedge
- European Investors Rush To Safe-Havens - Italy/Spain Bond Yields At New Record Low | ZeroHedge
- Rise in Housing Starts Disappoint, Permits Fall | Financial Sense
- Retail Sales Surge on Spring Thaw | Financial Sense
- Fed Jawboning, Minutes Give Stocks a Lift | Financial Sense
- De Blasio Releases Tax Returns; Paid Effective 8.3% Rate | ZeroHedge
- I WANT TO BUY EVERYTHING | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Microsoft May Finally Abandon Its Silly Anti-Google 'Scroogled' Ad... | Business Insider
- How A $1 Billion Company You've Never Heard Of Bought A Big Chunk Of Motorola For $3.45... | Business Insider
- The 12 Highest-Paid Sports Teams In The World | Business Insider
- How Messiness Can Make You More Creative | Business Insider
- Yahoo Soars On Earnings Even Though Its Underlying Business Is Still Stagnant (YHOO) | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Infants Are Unable To Play With Building... | Business Insider