Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- All It Takes For Panic-Sellers To Become Manic-Buyers: One Made Up Rumor | ZeroHedge
- Greek Austerity And Economic Religion | ZeroHedge
- Shake Shak Slumps As "Chicken Spin-Off" Gains Disappear | ZeroHedge
- Paul Craig Roberts Rages "Free Financial Markets Are A Hoax" | ZeroHedge
- Julian Assange On The TPP: "Deal Isn't About Trade, It's About Corporate Control" | ZeroHedge
- Bad News for China: Bernanke Says It’s Okay | Financial Sense
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Retail Sales | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 7 rules of dog park etiquette to keep you and your pet out of trouble... | Business Insider
- Cairo yearns for liberal heyday of its park of romance | Business Insider
- Google played it safe today, and the tech industry is a little worse for it (GOOG) | Business Insider
- We finally know who motion capture king Andy Serkis will play... | Business Insider
- Bill Gross dreamt he got advice from a dead artist in a 'séance-... | Business Insider
- Mystery of holes in Swiss cheese cracked after a century | Business Insider
- FINANCIAL ADVISOR INSIGHTS: Avoid these 'red flags' when dealing with... | Business Insider