Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump: America For The Americans! | ZeroHedge
- WikiLeaks Slams Trump, Urges Hackers To Reveal His Tax Returns | ZeroHedge
- China Says It Is Ready To Assume "World Leadership", Slams Western Democracy As "Flawed" | ZeroHedge
- Secular Shift in Interest Rates? | Financial Sense
- The Myth Of The "Passive Indexing" Revolution | ZeroHedge
- Being Ignored Can Be A Blessing | ZeroHedge
- In Blistering Interview, Conway Tells Chuck Todd "We Are Going To Have To Rethink Our Relationship With The Press" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Six more bodies have been found at the avalanche-stricken Italian... | Business Insider
- White House says they're in the... | Business Insider
- This startup says its kooky, creepy Einstein robot could be the future of... | Business Insider
- Tornados, severe weather kill 15 in the Southeastern US | Business Insider
- Sonos with Tidal is the best high-end, user-friendly wireless audio setup I've... | Business Insider
- 3D TV is officially dead | Business Insider
- Yahoo is pushing back the timeline to close the $4.8 billion Verizon acquisition (YHOO) | Business Insider