Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why the End of China's “Strong Yuan” Policy Matters to Global Markets | Financial Sense
- Japan's Legendary "Twitter Trader" Reveals The Secret Of His Multi-Million Dollar Success | ZeroHedge
- The Countdown To Europe’s Next Crisis Has Started: 28 Days To Go | ZeroHedge
- Austrian Economics Is Now Equivalent To Terrorism Thanks To Latest Islamic State "Gold Standard" Propaganda Clip | ZeroHedge
- Playing the Chinese Trump Card | Financial Sense
- Stoeferle: Illusion of Omnipotent Central Banker Biggest Bubble We've Ever Seen | Financial Sense
- HuNTeR LuVS ASHLeY... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Libya migrant disaster death toll rises to 117 | Business Insider
- Year-long Mars isolation experiment starting in Hawaii | Business Insider
- Black Lives Matter: 'We will continue to engage the candidates' | Business Insider
- AP PHOTOS: Hindu holy men lead bath rituals in Indian... | Business Insider
- After all that, the stock market finished the week higher (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, TLT... | Business Insider
- Queens is finally becoming the hottest borough in New York City — and tourists are... | Business Insider
- Blue Jays hit 3 HRs in 5-3 win over Tigers | Business Insider