Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Where Candidates Fear To Tread - Pervasive Racketeering Is Destroying America | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Stocks Slide Again, Copper Tumbles To 6 Year Low; Greek Market Crashes After One Month Trading Halt | ZeroHedge
- Greek Stocks, Economy Collapse, Suffer Worst Declines In History | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Circular Logic Exposed In 1 Simple Chart | ZeroHedge
- This Is Your "New Economy": These 10 Startups Are Valued At $156 Billion On $4 Billion In Revenue | ZeroHedge
- Here's The Bad News That Nobody Is Telling You About The Record Lows In Initial Jobless Claims | ZeroHedge
- Breaking Down China's $23 Trillion Debt Pile | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China's war on corruption is far from over | Business Insider
- Pakistan hangs 'teen' killer Shafqat Hussain | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- The player who cried on the field when he thought he'd been traded has become the Mets... | Business Insider
- This 12-minute workout plan will make intense... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- 10 things you need to know before the opening bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider