Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- King Dollar CATastrophe: Currency War Drags Dow Down Almost 300 Points | ZeroHedge
- Why $50 Oil Won’t Last | Financial Sense
- Energy Stocks: Where’s the Bottom? | Financial Sense
- On The Prevalence Of Group Think in The Mainstream Financial Media | ZeroHedge
- Will Obama’s State of the Union Proposals Survive Congress? | Financial Sense
- Martin Armstrong: Foreign Capital Flows Could Drive US Markets Significantly Higher | Financial Sense
- As Seen On The Streets Of Manhattan | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- CNN Says High-Tech Swinger's Parties Are All The Rage... | Business Insider
- Look At All The Huge Stock Market Rallies That Happened During The Great Depression (DIA) | Business Insider
- Wrestling Fans Are Furious At The WWE Network After A Guy No One Likes Won... | Business Insider
- STOCKS GET CRUSHED: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT, MSFT, CAT, XHB, AAPL... | Business Insider
- Yanis Varoufakis named Greece's new finance minister | Business Insider
- Australian PM faces backlash over royal 'knightmare' | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek