Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Uncontrolled Refugeeism Will Be The Undoing Of Now-Ruling Political Class | ZeroHedge
- Yen Tumbles On Spurious Nikkei Headline, Stocks Shrug | ZeroHedge
- USDJPY Plunges On Japan Stimulus Concerns; US Futures Flat With As Fed Begins Meeting | ZeroHedge
- The Real Reason The "Rich Get Richer" | ZeroHedge
- 2 Islamic State Hostage Takers Killed After Slitting Priest's Throat In Assault On French Church | ZeroHedge
- Tuesday Humor: Richmond Fed Survey Beats Expectations By 7 Standard Deviations | ZeroHedge
- Why Pokemon Go Scares Middle Eastern Governments | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A professor is working with NASA to 3D print houses on the moon — here’s... | Business Insider
- THE PAYMENTS INDUSTRY EXPLAINED: The trends creating new winners and losers in... | Business Insider
- The first teaser trailer for 'Sherlock' season 4 is very dark and mysterious... | Business Insider
- Facebook and Twitter helped Brazil foil an alleged Olympics terrorist plot | Business Insider
- The hedge fund industry has a 'real... | Business Insider
- Meet 'The Flash' actor Ezra Miller — Hollywood's next big... | Business Insider
- Sketchy rumor claims Apple's next iPhone will be called the 'iPhone... | Business Insider