Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "It Was A Pretty Disturbing Briefing”: Why State Governors Suddenly Got Cold Feet About Obamacare Repeal | ZeroHedge
- What Could Go Wrong? | Financial Sense
- Reality Catching Up With Expectations | Financial Sense
- Eurozone Equities: Political Risks versus Strong Macro Crosscurrents | Financial Sense
- Kansas City Fed Survey: February Activity Highest Since 2011 | Financial Sense
- French President Fires Back At Trump Over Paris Comments | ZeroHedge
- North Korea Hacking Spree: Is Blockchain the Solution? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A 27-year-old who weighed 456 pounds survived... | Business Insider
- Check out the all-American, made-in-Italy Jeep Renegade SUV (FCAU) | Business Insider
- Trump spurred a 'consumer awakening' that is pushing businesses into... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Baltimore Ravens' Matt Elam arrested on multiple... | Business Insider
- Jordan Peele's horror 'Get Out' wins the weekend box office with a $30.5... | Business Insider
- Samsung delays its new phone partially due to recall of... | Business Insider