Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- President Obama Explains Why His Immigration Plan Is Right & SCOTUS Is Wrong - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- "Our Views Coincide" - Putin Talks Up Russia's Alliance With China | ZeroHedge
- S&P Futures Halted Limit Down As VIX Spikes Above 26 | ZeroHedge
- Political Shock Coming No Matter Which Side Wins Brexit | ZeroHedge
- Shilling: World Facing High Probability of Panic Deflation | Financial Sense
- Charts: MASSIVE Speculative Bets on Gold - Bremain Vote Could Lead to Major Selloff | Financial Sense
- Nomura Warns "Do Not Underestimate The Global Contagion" From Brexit | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A merger creating the largest healthcare company in... | Business Insider
- Casual smartphone games are getting crushed by complex,... | Business Insider
- The 'Internet of Things' may not be all its cracked up to be | Business Insider
- All bets are off | Business Insider
- I let an expert tear my horrible cover letter... | Business Insider
- I'm a self-made millionaire, and here are 8 quotes I think will... | Business Insider
- Business Insider Intelligence is hiring a senior research... | Business Insider