Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Banquet Of Consequences Is Being Served (By The Central Banking Cartel) | ZeroHedge
- France's New Sharia Police | ZeroHedge
- Wells Fargo To Be Sanctioned By DOJ For Improperly Seizing Soldiers' Cars | ZeroHedge
- "When Hillary Gets Scared, She Plays The Russia Card" | ZeroHedge
- Janet Yellen Testimony Live Feed: Five Key Things To Look For | ZeroHedge
- Truth in Numbers | Financial Sense
- Billionaires 'Bunker'-Down For Trumpocalypse | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Fed is thinking about making big changes to how it tests America... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Samantha Bee says Trump 'just lumbered' right... | Business Insider
- Renault just unveiled a gorgeous supercar concept to take on Tesla in the future | Business Insider
- Banks like to talk about blockchain, but none wants to be the first to actually use it | Business Insider
- Mizzou just experienced another alleged incident of... | Business Insider
- The 'South Park' team trolls Trump Tower and... | Business Insider