Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Spanish Tenants Wake Up To The Horror Of A Wall Street Landlord | ZeroHedge
- Putin Warns Of Risk Of Major Conflict, Says Dollar Losing Reserve Currency Status | ZeroHedge
- NYC Mayor De Blasio Ebola Update "Under Control - No Cause For Alarm" - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- US Manufacturing PMI Tumbles, Biggest Miss In 14 Months | ZeroHedge
- Why Gold Is Undervalued | ZeroHedge
- MAY YOU BURN IN THE FIRES OF 1,000 SUNS | iBankCoin.com
- Does Anyone Else Think The Stock Market Is Living On Reds, Vitamin C And Cocaine? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- IMF fights negative interest rates | Business Insider
- What Gets You Excited About Buying A Car? Please Take Our Short Survey | Business Insider
- Rossi aims to cement second MotoGP spot in Sepang | Business Insider
- UK Retail Sales Drop In September | Business Insider
- Microsoft Reveals Total Xbox Sales For Last Quarter (MSFT) | Business Insider
- A New Study Shows That Sunday Is The Best Day To Book A Flight | Business Insider
- Ebola death toll rises to almost 4,900 | Business Insider