Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Careful Now | iBankCoin.com
- The Illustrated Guide To Keynesian Vs Austrian Economics | ZeroHedge
- "Smart Money" BTFATH At Most Furious Pace In Over A Year, 2Y Short-Squeeze Possible | ZeroHedge
- Military Plant In East Ukraine Devastated By Massive Explosion; Kiev Accuses Russia Of Using Tactial Nuke | ZeroHedge
- The People On This Photo Have A Warning For The Market: There Is "A Build Up Of Excessive Risk" | ZeroHedge
- Stay Focused | iBankCoin.com
- China's Economy Slams On The Brakes: 30% Of Coal Miners Unable To Pay Employees On Time | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These Siri Punctuation Commands Make Texting So Much Better | Business Insider
- How Every Square Foot Of An Apple Store Is Designed To Make You Spend More Money | Business Insider
- 19 Of The Most Expensive Substances In The World | Business Insider
- These Photos Show How Eastern Ukraine Is Stuck In Its Soviet Past | Business Insider
- American Honors America West, the Airline That Took Over the World | TheStreet.com
- This New Report Shows Why Taxi Drivers Are Terrified Of... | Business Insider
- A Simple List Of All The Incredibly Suspicious Things Happening At Tesco Right Now | Business Insider