Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold And Silver Best Performing Assets – Up 9% and 8% YTD | ZeroHedge
- President Obama Explains How Surging Bartender Jobs Are Unequivocally Good - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- January Payrolls Miss Big, Adding Only 151,000 Jobs, But Hourly Wages Jump And Unemployment Slides To 4.9% | ZeroHedge
- Anti-Refugee Rallies Sweep Europe As Nationalists Declare "We Will Not Surrender Europe To Islam" | ZeroHedge
- FANGs Crash Most Since August's "Black Monday" Collapse | ZeroHedge
- Bonds & Bullion Best As Dollar Crashes To 4-Month Lows | ZeroHedge
- The Mad Stewards of Gondor | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The one question you should never ask at the end of a... | Business Insider
- SoFi made a last-minute edit to its Super Bowl advert to make it... | Business Insider
- Johnny Manziel is being investigated by Dallas police over a... | Business Insider
- One of last year's most successful tech IPOs proves you don't... | Business Insider
- Nazaré, Portugal, is only for the world's bravest surfers — but one... | Business Insider
- A $63 million winning lottery ticket is going to waste | Business Insider
- One of the hottest clothing start-ups is suddenly laying off 10% of its... | Business Insider