Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Taking The Monetary Policy Ride Into The Theater Of The Absurd | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: The 145 Solution - Sapience, Not Sentience | ZeroHedge
- Here Is The Reason Why Stocks Just Had Their Best Month Since October 2011 | ZeroHedge
- "Change" Indeed | ZeroHedge
- GDP Gives Market No Tail-Wind | Financial Sense
- Housing Industry Frets About the Next Brick to Drop | ZeroHedge
- LiVe LoNG AND PRoSPeR... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Insane videos of people in Boston endangering their lives by jumping out... | Business Insider
- Ukraine's frontlines calm ahead of gas talks | Business Insider
- Here's our first look at the sinister 'Game of Thrones' season... | Business Insider
- Who's running Microsoft these days? Satya Nadella's brain trust | Business Insider
- Skydive jumpmaster saves man who has seizure 9,000 feet in the air | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Prince William travels to tsunami-hit northeast Japan | Business Insider