Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Tapering Is Now Tightening | Financial Sense
- How High is High? (To Whom?) | Financial Sense
- Facebook a Standout Even Among the Leaders | iBankCoin.com
- THe PaTH To McJiHaD... | ZeroHedge
- America The Divided: Everyone Knows We Have Problems But There Is Very Little Agreement On Solutions | ZeroHedge
- GM Announces Another 718K Recalls, Bringing 2014 Total To Nearly 30 Million | ZeroHedge
- Here Is How Amazon's Ugliest Quarter In Years Looked Like In Six Charts | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- SODASTREAM SHARES EXPLODE (SODA) | Business Insider
- Hedge Funds Hate These 5 Stocks -- Should You? | TheStreet.com
- How Malaysia Airlines Can Be Saved From Financial And Reputational Ruin | Business Insider
- Business Insider is Hiring a QA Engineer | Business Insider
- Check Out "Baladia," The 5,000-Acre Fake City Israel Uses To Train For Urban... | Business Insider
- You Might Think A Fox-Time Warner Deal Just Isn't Going To Happen... | Business Insider
- Beyond Sweet, Salty, Bitter, And Sour: The Human Tongue Might Taste More Than 15... | Business Insider