Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Geopolitical Journey: Europe, the Glorious and the Banal | Financial Sense
- Leading Employment Indicators Suggest Higher Highs Into the Fall | Financial Sense
- Adding Insult To Injury, South African Gold Mining Union Demands Up To 60% Wage Hikes | ZeroHedge
- Global Thermonuclear Devaluation | ZeroHedge
- Silver Bulls Head Out for a Sunday Drive | iBankCoin.com
- The Taper Trade | Financial Sense
- FiNaNCiaL TeRRoRiSM AND PoLiTiCaL SeX MaP... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Measles Are Suddenly Becoming Quite A Problem In The UK | Business Insider
- What's Tough And Awesome About Being A Well-Known Couple In Silicon Valley | Business Insider
- 2 FBI Agents Killed In Virginia Beach Training Accident | Business Insider
- The Hilarious Things Passengers Say On Virgin Airlines | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- This Timelapse Will Spin You Around The Empire State Building | Business Insider
- I Found The Best Cheesesteak In Philly In The Last Place I Ever Expected | Business Insider