Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Bond Investors Are Most Concerned About | ZeroHedge
- Week Ahead is Short but Eventful | ZeroHedge
- Dallas Fed Collapses At Fastest Pace Since Lehman, Lowest Since June 2011 | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Startling Student Debt Numbers That Every Young Person Should See | ZeroHedge
- Did The Fed Just Whisper "Fire" In A Crowded Market? | ZeroHedge
- "Market Timing" Explained In 1 Cartoon | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Mar 30, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- This company was 13 years early to virtual... | Business Insider
- A whole bunch of famous people are shredding Indiana for its... | Business Insider
- DEAL OF THE DAY: save 50% on these premium noise-canceling headphones | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Elon Musk has a great idea for curing traffic congestion in big cities (... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers... | StreetInsider.com