Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Deutsche Bank: "We Think Something Structurally Changed Since The Great Financial Crisis" | ZeroHedge
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Reached; No Extension Of Unemployment Benefits Means Unemployment Rate Set To... Plunge | ZeroHedge
- The Stuka | Financial Sense
- "The Rent Is Too Damned High" | ZeroHedge
- Number of Banks and Percentage of Problem Banks Over Time | Financial Sense
- When Bitcoin Is Not In The Hands Of The Bagholder | ZeroHedge
- The Politics of Adjustment | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Wall Street Hot Shots Are Snapping Up Spots In This Gorgeous $1 Billion Miami Condo | Business Insider
- Here's Why Sandy Hook Shooter Adam Lanza Was Pulled Out Of Newtown High... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- The Greek Economy Continues To Be Dismal | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- There's Now Even More Conservative Opposition... | Business Insider
- This New App Will Let You Stream Cable TV To Your Phone Or Laptop | Business Insider