Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Low Risk Way to Play the Coming Correction | iBankCoin.com
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- SCeNe FRoM AMeRiCaN JiHaD... | ZeroHedge
- S&P Futures Surge Over 2000, At Record High, On Collapsing Japanese, European Economic Data, Ukraine Escalations | ZeroHedge
- The Fed Will Have Few Tools Available When the Next Collapse Hits | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: August 28 | ZeroHedge
- Sold Completely Out Of PSEC – 7% Loss (Update) | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Spanish economy grows at fastest pace since 2007 | Business Insider
- South Korea's Samsung and LG unveil new smartwatches | Business Insider
- Dartmouth Student Newspaper Slams Controversial Fraternity Hazing Tell-All... | Business Insider
- Frustrating Boston Scientific Is Not What the Investor Ordered | TheStreet.com
- Warren Buffett Has Some Brilliant Advice For Investors Freaked Out About Geopolitics... | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- Chinese army vehicles cause alarm in Hong Kong | Business Insider