Thank you Fed: Interest Rate slashed 75 Basis Points
The Federal Reserve, confronted with a global stock sell-off fanned by increased fears of a recession, cut a key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point on Tuesday. The Fed said it was cutting the federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other on overnight loans, to 3.5 percent, down by three-fourths of a percentage point from 4.25 percent.
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and his colleagues took the action after an emergency video conference on Monday night, a day when global markets had been pounded by rising concerns that weakness in the world's largest economy was spreading worldwide.
Despite the Fed's bold move, Wall Street plunged at the opening. The Dow Jones industrial average was down 311.99 points in the first hour of trading. The market has been recovering since the morning and one of the big winners has been Sears Holdings (SHLD). Todd was on the money: Sears now advertising Brands
In a brief statement explaining its move, the Fed said that "appreciable downside risks to growth remain" and officials pledged to "act in a timely manner" to deal with the risks facing the economy. The action was approved on an 8-1 vote.
Analysts said the fact that the Fed did not wait until its meeting next week to cut rates underscored the seriousness of the situation.
Stay tuned as we all will be watching the events unfold today. Hang in there.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Employment Costs Surge Most In 6 Years As Initial Claims Miss | ZeroHedge
- Your 30-Second Payrolls Preview | ZeroHedge
- 21 Ways To End The Phrase "Americans Are So Broke..." | ZeroHedge
- India Slams US Global Hegemony By Scuttling Global Trade Deal, Puts Future Of WTO In Doubt | ZeroHedge
- Quick Bounce Plays | iBankCoin.com
- Thursday Humor: The Fed Is Hiring | ZeroHedge
- The West's Reckless Rush Towards War With Russia | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Markets Are In The Red, Major Portugese Bank Crashes (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- Shooting Near The Chicago Board Of Trade | Business Insider
- Will This Price Target Increase Help Tesla Stock Today? | TheStreet.com
- Janet Yellen Just Got Some Wiggle Room (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, IWM, TLT) | Business Insider
- College Grads Group Saw Their Unemployment Rate Fall — For The Wrong Reasons | Business Insider
- 4 Troubling Signs That Michael Kors Is Past Its Prime | Business Insider
- Portugal's Troubled Banco Espirito Santo Crashes Into Financial Purgatory (BES) | Business Insider