Invest like a Hedge Fund with a New ETF
For just $24 a share you to can buy into the AlphaClone Alternative Alpha ETF (NYSE:ALFA) and reap the benefits of investing like a hedge fund. The catch is the trades are made after the big boys have published their filings, so in essence you are chasing the fumes of big money.
However traders may warm up to the 'Hedge Fund Alternative ETF' if it can demonstrate results. The fund launched last week, its down almost 4% including today's 1% fall. The fund tracks the top performing hedge funds and makes its stocks picks based from 13F filings from the best hedge fund managers. ALFA even goes short provided the S&P 500 closes at less than its 200-day moving average after 30 days. The fund moves from 100% long to 50% long and 50% short. The short bet will be made with buying into an inverse fund, like the ProShares Short S&P500 (ETF) (NYSE:SH). Read all about it at their website AlphaClone Funds.
Their method has been backtested and they say the ETF has an annualized return of 17% for its strategy when compared from 2011 through 2011. Time will tell if it really works now that we can watch the ticker 'ALFA' that trades on the NYSE. The fund is making its bets from 13F filings which means the actual trades could months old by the time ALFA buys in.
MASTERY Bottom line:
Whatever the case, its an tempting investing opportunity for those of us without millions to invest in hedge funds. Time will tell if this automated and runner-up method will hit a 17% return in 2012. If it does, Mastery will line up their dollars in 2013 and click buy on ALFA without hesitation.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Operation Gotham Shield: U.S. Gov't To "Simulate Nuke Blast Over Manhattan" | ZeroHedge
- Banks at risk if this support gives way, says Joe Friday | ZeroHedge
- Paris Shooter Update: Previously Convicted For Attempted Murder, Released On Probation | ZeroHedge
- The Last Time This Happened, The Market Crashed | ZeroHedge
- "The Retail Bubble Has Now Burst": A Record 8,640 Stores Are Closing In 2017 | ZeroHedge
- Crude Crashes But Stocks Shrug Off Worst Weekly Plunge In Economic Data Since 2011 | ZeroHedge
- Trump To Sign Executive Orders On Corporate Inversions and Dodd-Frank Regulations | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lawmakers mull rule to make able adults work to receive... | Business Insider
- A former investment banker designed sweatpants that are nice enough to... | Business Insider
- SCHLUMBERGER: Rising costs hurt margins (SLB) | Business Insider
- BAML: The '$1 trillion flow that conquers all' explains everything... | Business Insider
- Navy SEAL charged with recording himself molesting young... | Business Insider
- Biking to work dramatically lowers your risk of death and disease, new research... | Business Insider
- 140 soldiers killed in deadliest attack ever on an Afghan... | Business Insider