Hurricane Irene Stocks: Valero, Western Refining, and DIG
The panic is setting in and Gov. Chris Christie declared a state of emergency today. Fellow Masters its time to think about building positions in the refiners such as Western Refining (NYSE:WNR) and Valero (NYSE:VLO). Better yet just buy the best of the the oil and gas sector using the coveted ProShares Ultra Oil & Gas ETF (NYSE:DIG).
This is a classic no brainer play as Hurricane Irene could push up the refiners stocks in a heartbeat should the impact hit the East Coast.
Mastery Sponsors - Become one Today
The stocks to play...
Western Refining Inc (WNR) shares have traded between $4.01 and $21.75 over the past 12 months. Today WNR is at $16.26 a share, trading with a P/E Ratio of 15.6 and EPS of 1.04.
Valero Energy Corp (VLO) shares have a 52-week range $15.49 and $31.12, today they are at $20.43. Valero shares are now trading with a P/E Ratio of 8.8 and EPS of 1.2.
Finally the DIG is your weapon of choice as it contains the best oil and gas companies on the planet with the largest holdings consisting of 22% Exxon (XOM) and 12% Chevron Corp. (NYSE:CVX). The ProShares Ultra Oil & Gas (DIG) shares have traded between $25.53 and $63.63 and today are at $40.30
Christie said he was still weighing whether to order a mandatory evacuation of the shore areas. For now, he said people on a barrier island and any other beach community from Sandy Hook to Cape May should begin preparing now to leave.
"We are not overreacting, we need to be ready for this," Christie said.
He said that based on the state's tracking, the eye of the hurricane, or the most violent part of the storm, could make landfall over Cape May or Atlantic County some time Saturday.
Hurricane watches were issued along the North Carolina coast this morning, and tropical storm watches extend further south along South Carolina and Georgia. At this time, it appears the greatest impacts from Irene would be felt in New Jersey overnight Saturday through about midday Sunday, according to NWS Mount Holly.
MASTERY Bottom line: Should destruction hit U.S. shores, the refiners are going to pop.
WNR, VLO and a little DIG could help your portfolio to trade on the possible hype and actual destruction.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- You Do Not Get Moves Like This Unless Stuff is Hitting the Fan | ZeroHedge
- Martin Armstrong: Foreign Capital Flows Could Drive US Markets Significantly Higher | Financial Sense
- "Buy The Dip" In Gold; BofAML Says EURUSD Bounces Should Be Sold | ZeroHedge
- Market Wrap: Global Risk Rattled By Syriza Surge To Power | ZeroHedge
- Random Thoughts on a Cruise to Nowhere | Financial Sense
- Axel Merk: Why Asset Prices Must Return To Lower Levels | ZeroHedge
- UTC Just Missed And Cut Guidance... And Why This Is Great News For Its Shareholders | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Euro briefly sinks to 11-year low vs dollar after Greek... | Business Insider
- A Carrier Website Might Have Just Leaked Samsung's Next Galaxy Phone | Business Insider
- Russian Central Bank Deputy Head Shoots 3 Dead In The South-East Of... | Business Insider
- Australian PM faces backlash over royal 'knightmare' | Business Insider
- IS confirms execution of Japanese hostage Haruna Yukawa | Business Insider
- Cord Cutting? Sling TV a Great Concept, Not Ready for Prime Time Yet | TheStreet.com
- Business Insider Is Hiring An Operations Associate | Business Insider