Do Stocks Rally in June?
Its June and we just lost all of the gains for stocks in 2012 last month. Where do we go from here? Do stocks go even lower or can we finally buck the trend and embrace the bulls?
Historically speaking the month of June has not been good for stocks in general. There's a reason we used to live by 'Sell in May and go away', this month burned that into our skulls. Investors have adopted the behavior of exiting the game in May and entering back into equities come October.
The S&P 500 has a -2.3% return when comparing the month of June from 2001 until 2010. However diving into the rabbit hole and looking at June for the past 40 years it works out to a positive .29% return (data via squirrelers.com). However history is unfolding as we speak, the result of Greece and the fate of euro could take the market up or down 5% in a heartbeat.
Since the current bull market began in March 2009, the S&P 500 has had 15 corrections of more than 5% that were preceded by at least a 5% rally, just like this year, notes Liz Ann Sonders, chief market strategist at Charles Schwab. The average decline of those 15 corrections comes to 8.2%. Since the S&P 500 is currently off 8% from its most recent high, there’s good reason to believe the downside from here will be contained. Sonders figures the current downdraft will remain in the typical 5% to 10% range (investorplace.com).
Mastery is hoping its contributor SC is right on the money with June, his forecast:
The S&P 500 is testing the November support zone, and therefore, is likely to find strength to push higher in the near term. The June targets are outlined, and June is shaping up to be another volatile month. With a newly established wall of worry in place now, a strong rally early in June makes sense.
So where to put your money?
Defensive sectors of health care, utilities and consumer staples have historically outperformed from May to October, at least since 1989, according to Schwab and The Leuthold Group. E3 is this week and that means it could be time for 3 Gaming Stocks to Buy Now (they are trading near record lows). Maybe its Time to Buy Apple Inc? but above all Be ready for anything.
Let's hope for all of us equities head higher, our 401(k) and personal portfolios could benefit from some positive movement. Speaking of tumbling down the rabbit hole...
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Don't Show This To Warren Buffett (Gold vs. The Financial System) | ZeroHedge
- You Literally No Nothing At All | iBankCoin.com
- TEPCO Admits Delaying Report Of Major Radiation Leak Into The Pacific Ocean For 10 Months | ZeroHedge
- "Sovereign Risk" - This Is How Easily Your Property Can Be Confiscated | ZeroHedge
- Arms Race 2.0: Top Navy Admiral Warns China Now Has More "Fairly Amazing Submarines" Than The US | ZeroHedge
- 12 Reasons Why Ritholtz and Many Experts Are Mistaken On Gold | ZeroHedge
- The Market Is A Red Herring... Distracting Us From The Reality Of The Economy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- HP is tanking thanks to woeful guidance (HPQ) | Business Insider
- You can now identify as any gender you want on Facebook | Business Insider
- One phone call convinced Alex Rodriguez to stop fighting MLB and apologize | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider
- The West Coast port strike will squeeze the trade deficit | Business Insider
- These are the next ‘Frozen’ dresses every girl is going to want | Business Insider
- US, Cuba seek breakthrough in new round of historic talks... | Business Insider