Napster: Somebody out there likes them
That somebody happens to be Bear Sterns analyst Kunal Madhukar. Thanks to Madhukar, his upgrade last week sent shares of Napster Inc. (NASDAQ:NAPS) up 15%. With today's pullback, shares of NAPS are only up 6.5% since his upgrade to "Outperform" from "Underperform." Most of you know the Masters have talked up Napster in the past, but now Wall Street is onboard.
On Feb 11th, Bear Stearns analyst Kunal Madhukar wrote that Napster's disinterest, coupled with a trading imbalance that resulted from the company leaving the S&P 600 Small Cap Index in February, "has resulted in a compelling buying opportunity for investors who are willing to hold the shares for 12 (to) 18 months."
In the past year, the stock has traded between $1.60 and $4.46.
Madhukar, who has a $2.50 price target on Napster shares, noted Napster finished its third quarter in December with $69 million in cash and equivalents. Based on its 43.6 million outstanding shares - an additional 2.4 million are marked as restricted share awards for employees and will likely vest in the next few years - the company's market value is $71 million, and enterprise value is about $2 million, Madhukar said.
"At current valuations, in our view, investors are effectively buying the cash at face value, and getting the company for free," he said.
Madhukar wrote that the market is "more than discounting" risks to Napster's business, but that the company isn't getting credit for its brand, technology, portal, partnerships or for cash and tax-related net operating losses.
Fellow Masters, this is a long-term hold, but any other good news and you could bank 5 to 10% in a single day. Above all, NAPS is a stock to add to your watch list.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Peak Empire 2.0 | ZeroHedge
- Despite Surprise Rate-Hike, Russian Ruble Crashes Most In 6 Years | ZeroHedge
- How Long Can The Shale Revolution Last? | ZeroHedge
- Shadow Banking Assets Increase By $5 Trillion To Record $75 Trillion, 120% Of Global GDP | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Warns Midterm Elections Raise Risk Around Fiscal Deadlines | ZeroHedge
- Hillary Clinton: "Businesses Don't Create Jobs" – Why She's Never Been More Wrong | ZeroHedge
- "Gold Is A Good Place To Put Money These Days" - Greenspan | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Rand Paul Explains Why The GOP Brand 'Sucks'... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com
- Michigan's AD Has Resigned Which Is Going To Spark Rumors That Jim... | Business Insider
- The 25 Best Universities In The World For Computer Science | Business Insider
- Trent Reznor Is Working On A Top Secret Apple Project (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Tens of thousands demand 'immediate'... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek