Napster: Somebody out there likes them
That somebody happens to be Bear Sterns analyst Kunal Madhukar. Thanks to Madhukar, his upgrade last week sent shares of Napster Inc. (NASDAQ:NAPS) up 15%. With today's pullback, shares of NAPS are only up 6.5% since his upgrade to "Outperform" from "Underperform." Most of you know the Masters have talked up Napster in the past, but now Wall Street is onboard.
On Feb 11th, Bear Stearns analyst Kunal Madhukar wrote that Napster's disinterest, coupled with a trading imbalance that resulted from the company leaving the S&P 600 Small Cap Index in February, "has resulted in a compelling buying opportunity for investors who are willing to hold the shares for 12 (to) 18 months."
In the past year, the stock has traded between $1.60 and $4.46.
Madhukar, who has a $2.50 price target on Napster shares, noted Napster finished its third quarter in December with $69 million in cash and equivalents. Based on its 43.6 million outstanding shares - an additional 2.4 million are marked as restricted share awards for employees and will likely vest in the next few years - the company's market value is $71 million, and enterprise value is about $2 million, Madhukar said.
"At current valuations, in our view, investors are effectively buying the cash at face value, and getting the company for free," he said.
Madhukar wrote that the market is "more than discounting" risks to Napster's business, but that the company isn't getting credit for its brand, technology, portal, partnerships or for cash and tax-related net operating losses.
Fellow Masters, this is a long-term hold, but any other good news and you could bank 5 to 10% in a single day. Above all, NAPS is a stock to add to your watch list.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- WTI Crude Jumps As Saudi Oil Minister Meets With Russian, Finnish, And Norwegian Ambassadors | ZeroHedge
- Tighten Those Chin Straps Folks Because Here Comes a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly (RUD) | ZeroHedge
- The Bonds Of The Third Largest Austrian Bank Are Crashing | ZeroHedge
- Seven Consecutive Downward Reivisions To New Home Sales Data Place Serious Doubts On Report Accuracy | ZeroHedge
- Swiss Franc Tumbles Then Soars, On Suspected Failed SNB Intervention | ZeroHedge
- As Seen On The Streets Of Manhattan Today | ZeroHedge
- S&P Gives Up AAPL-Bounce Gains, Dow Negative Post-QE3 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Check Out Apple's Gorgeous New Store In China | Business Insider
- This Map Shows How Many More Military Aircraft The US Has Than Every Other... | Business Insider
- The 10 Things In Advertising You Need To Know Today | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, MSFT) | Business Insider
- What Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer Must Do Now After Alibaba SpinCo | TheStreet.com
- Sorry, Silicon Valley: The Best Way To Build Your Startup Is To Travel The... | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com