Napster: Somebody out there likes them
That somebody happens to be Bear Sterns analyst Kunal Madhukar. Thanks to Madhukar, his upgrade last week sent shares of Napster Inc. (NASDAQ:NAPS) up 15%. With today's pullback, shares of NAPS are only up 6.5% since his upgrade to "Outperform" from "Underperform." Most of you know the Masters have talked up Napster in the past, but now Wall Street is onboard.
On Feb 11th, Bear Stearns analyst Kunal Madhukar wrote that Napster's disinterest, coupled with a trading imbalance that resulted from the company leaving the S&P 600 Small Cap Index in February, "has resulted in a compelling buying opportunity for investors who are willing to hold the shares for 12 (to) 18 months."
In the past year, the stock has traded between $1.60 and $4.46.
Madhukar, who has a $2.50 price target on Napster shares, noted Napster finished its third quarter in December with $69 million in cash and equivalents. Based on its 43.6 million outstanding shares - an additional 2.4 million are marked as restricted share awards for employees and will likely vest in the next few years - the company's market value is $71 million, and enterprise value is about $2 million, Madhukar said.
"At current valuations, in our view, investors are effectively buying the cash at face value, and getting the company for free," he said.
Madhukar wrote that the market is "more than discounting" risks to Napster's business, but that the company isn't getting credit for its brand, technology, portal, partnerships or for cash and tax-related net operating losses.
Fellow Masters, this is a long-term hold, but any other good news and you could bank 5 to 10% in a single day. Above all, NAPS is a stock to add to your watch list.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Graccident" Will Trigger The Demise Of The ECB And The World's Toxic Regime Of Keynesian Central Banking | ZeroHedge
- The Real Story Behind Deutsche Bank's Latest Book Cooking Settlement | ZeroHedge
- Who Would Win A Conflict In The South China Sea: The Infographic | ZeroHedge
- Mary Meeker Warns "Pockets Of Over-Valuation... Growth Rates Are Slowing" In Her Latest 'State Of The Internet' Presentation | ZeroHedge
- Democracy Or Oligarchy - You Decide | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Sachs Predicting $45 Oil by October | Financial Sense
- Key Iraq War Architect: “Our Objective Should Be a New Sunni State Out of the Western Part Of Iraq, the Eastern Part of Syria” | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google confirms that a 'buy' button is coming to... | Business Insider
- Here's everything you need to know ahead of the Queen's Speech | Business Insider
- Maestro Barenboim to spend less time wielding baton | Business Insider
- College accused of forced vaginal probes on students has banned the practice | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- REPORT: Germany's two most important politicians are split... | Business Insider
- 3 reasons Etsy is in big trouble | Business Insider