Napster: Somebody out there likes them
That somebody happens to be Bear Sterns analyst Kunal Madhukar. Thanks to Madhukar, his upgrade last week sent shares of Napster Inc. (NASDAQ:NAPS) up 15%. With today's pullback, shares of NAPS are only up 6.5% since his upgrade to "Outperform" from "Underperform." Most of you know the Masters have talked up Napster in the past, but now Wall Street is onboard.
On Feb 11th, Bear Stearns analyst Kunal Madhukar wrote that Napster's disinterest, coupled with a trading imbalance that resulted from the company leaving the S&P 600 Small Cap Index in February, "has resulted in a compelling buying opportunity for investors who are willing to hold the shares for 12 (to) 18 months."
In the past year, the stock has traded between $1.60 and $4.46.
Madhukar, who has a $2.50 price target on Napster shares, noted Napster finished its third quarter in December with $69 million in cash and equivalents. Based on its 43.6 million outstanding shares - an additional 2.4 million are marked as restricted share awards for employees and will likely vest in the next few years - the company's market value is $71 million, and enterprise value is about $2 million, Madhukar said.
"At current valuations, in our view, investors are effectively buying the cash at face value, and getting the company for free," he said.
Madhukar wrote that the market is "more than discounting" risks to Napster's business, but that the company isn't getting credit for its brand, technology, portal, partnerships or for cash and tax-related net operating losses.
Fellow Masters, this is a long-term hold, but any other good news and you could bank 5 to 10% in a single day. Above all, NAPS is a stock to add to your watch list.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Philly Fed Surges To 7-Month Highs As "Hope" Crashes To 1-Year Low | ZeroHedge
- Ex-Chairman Of Insolvent UK Bank Busted For Possession Of Cocaine, Ketamine And Crystal Meth | ZeroHedge
- When You're Not Around: Setting Your Family Up for Success | Financial Sense
- Full Geneva Statement On Ukraine "De-escalation" | ZeroHedge
- So Much For The De-escalation? Kiev Says Military Operation In East Ukraine To Continue | ZeroHedge
- What Oil War Premium? | ZeroHedge
- BRICS Consider Creating IMF-Alternative As US Loses Credibility | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- SOCIAL INSIDER: New LinkedIn App — Weibo IPO — Facebook... | Business Insider
- GoDaddy Released This Woman's Personal Information To A Spammer, And Now She's Being... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- We Followed Anchor Legend Pat Kiernan Through His 15-Hour Workday | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- JOBLESS CLAIMS FALL TO ITS LOWEST LEVEL SINCE OCTOBER 2007 | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek