Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold Jumps Above $1200 on China Rate Cut; Draghi Vows “More Inflation” | Financial Sense
- "Failed" Bund Auction At Record Low Yield And All Other Key Overnight Events | ZeroHedge
- Caption Contest: Kerry Confusion Edition | ZeroHedge
- US "Secret" Deal With Saudis Backfires After Oil Minister Says US Should Cut First | ZeroHedge
- OIL DOWN THE DRAIN FOR XMAS | iBankCoin.com
- And The Award For "Americans' Favorite Government Agency" Goes To... | ZeroHedge
- Q3 GDP Revised Above Highest Estimate, Prints 3.9% | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Startup Figured Out How To Print Light Just Like Paper — And It Looks... | Business Insider
- HOUSE OF THE DAY: A $40 Million Manhattan Penthouse Specially Designed To... | Business Insider
- Coca-Cola Is Betting Big On A New Kind Of Milk That Costs Twice As Much As Regular... | Business Insider
- Now, Anyone On Earth Can See A View Of Our Planet From Space In Real Time | Business Insider
- Google Nexus Player Review: Google's TV Streaming Answer to Amazon, Apple and Roku | TheStreet.com
- Messi breaks record, Suarez breaks duck | Business Insider
- A Former Disney Imagineer Built This Incredible Survival Vehicle For His Daughter... | Business Insider