Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gundlach Live Webcast: "Something For Nothing" | ZeroHedge
- Is The Deficit Reduction Just A Mirage? | ZeroHedge
- Will the Shale Gas Revolution Make North America’s LNG Ambitions Obsolete? | Financial Sense
- Part 7 - New EU Bail-In Agreement Yesterday - What Bail-Ins Would Look Like | ZeroHedge
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Reached; No Extension Of Unemployment Benefits Means Unemployment Rate Set To... Plunge | ZeroHedge
- Why Japan May Matter More Than Tapering | Financial Sense
- Meanwhile, This Is How They Settle Things In Georgia's Parliament | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Somali Piracy Is Down 90% From Last Year | Business Insider
- The Beastie Boys Have Countersued Pro-Girl Toymaker GoldieBlox Over The Song... | Business Insider
- The Moral of Ulta, Lulu and Lumber Liquidators | TheStreet.com
- Your Facebook Status Updates Can Reveal Dark Aspects Of Your Personality | Business Insider
- 10 Ads That Companies Were Forced To Apologize For In 2013... | Business Insider
- 11 Ridiculous Gifts For The Millionaire Who Has Everything | Business Insider
- The Army's 8-Wheeled Laser Truck Can Burn Mortars, Drones Right Out... | Business Insider