Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "We Want Them Dead" - ISIS Releases "Hit List" Of 3,600 New Yorkers | ZeroHedge
- Sell in May and Buy Back Higher in November | Financial Sense
- The Most Expensive Cities To Live In Across The Globe | ZeroHedge
- The Oligarchy Is Tottering - Trump Tramples The Neocons' "False Song Of Globalism" | ZeroHedge
- Trump Protesters Breach Barricades, Clash With Riot Police - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Gold And Negative Interest Rates | ZeroHedge
- WTF Chart Of The Day: Speculative Frenzy '101' | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China's housing bubble is starting to look a lot like the US... | Business Insider
- Rovi is buying TiVo for $1.1 billion (TIVO, ROVI) | Business Insider
- The untreatable Zika virus just reached another country in the Pacific — here's... | Business Insider
- US strategy has drained ISIS's health,... | Business Insider
- Breaking down operational expenses for industrial IoT... | Business Insider
- 10 simple behavior patterns of the most successful people | Business Insider
- This drifting artificial island is causing major problems for... | Business Insider