Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Should Britain Leave the EU? Two Analysts Debate | Financial Sense
- Disillusioned Democrats & The Demise Of Democracy In America | ZeroHedge
- "You Are Redefining Yourself As A Comic-Book Villain" - Nick Denton's Open Letter To Peter Thiel | ZeroHedge
- Obama: "World Leaders Are Rattled By Donald Trump" | ZeroHedge
- Gold Rush Losing Glitter | Financial Sense
- Plunging Personal Income Tax Revenues Slam State Budgets In April | ZeroHedge
- How Low Can Gold Go? The Gold Shakeout Continues, Stay The Course! | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Run, Marco!': Rubio is suddenly under intense pressure to seek reelection | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- Durable goods orders unexpectedly fall (USD, DXY) | Business Insider
- Facebook and Snapchat are reaping the... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Video games are revealing the secrets of our aging brains | Business Insider
- Sears is losing its last hope for staying in business | Business Insider