Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fly Buys: $WDAY, $FEYE | iBankCoin.com
- Stocks Retrace Putin Gains As Copper And Yen-Carry Crash | ZeroHedge
- How Long Does This Go On Before There's A Currency Crisis? | ZeroHedge
- Diplomacy Fails In Ukraine: Putin Slams Kerry Plan, Kiev Issues Ultimatum, Crimea Suspends All Non-Moscow Flights | ZeroHedge
- Weekly Sentiment Report: Is There Another Rabbit in the Hat? | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- The Sovereignty Series - A 'State' of Mind | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- US Profit Growth Is Much Weaker Than Reported | Business Insider
- Boeing's Blues, Jim Cramer's Social Network Pick, Timing Tesla | TheStreet.com
- Kids Who Come From Richer Families Have Higher SAT Scores | Business Insider
- Congress Is Going To War With The CIA | Business Insider
- Neil Young's PonoPlayer Will Launch For $400 So That We Can Hear Music The Way... | Business Insider
- If You Are Not Using These Google Maps Hacks, You Are Totally Lost | Business Insider
- Ukrainian Officer: Russian Troops Opened Fire At Crimea Base... | Business Insider