Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Market Crash 2014 | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Tumble; High-Yield Credit Risk Spikes To 1-Year Highs | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Plunges, Biggest Miss Since Jan 2012 | ZeroHedge
- Are Japanese Equities Discounting Further QE Ahead? | Financial Sense
- Senate Sponsor Exposes The Real Reason For The Fed | ZeroHedge
- How Much Further Can Gold Fall? | Financial Sense
- Spot The Total Logic Fail | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Find Out How Much Money Your Doctor Took From Drug Companies | Business Insider
- Fasting Modi meets Obama at White House | Business Insider
- 14 Awesome Cars That Will Steal The Spotlight At The Paris Motor Show | Business Insider
- Third death from Dutch 'monster truck' accident | Business Insider
- Microsoft Is Likely To Reveal The Next Version Of Windows Tomorrow (MSFT,... | Business Insider
- BREMMER: 'We’re Likely To See Violence' If... | Business Insider
- Value Trap: Why General Mills' Stock May Fall Even More | TheStreet.com