Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Quick Bounce Plays | iBankCoin.com
- "Genocide Is Permissible" Muses Times Of Israel, Promptly Retracts | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Home Price Gains Slow … or Reverse | Financial Sense
- Chinese Yuan Surges & Stocks Jump To 2014 Highs After PBOC Unleashes QE | ZeroHedge
- More Sellers Than Buyers | iBankCoin.com
- Fed Exit a Blue Pill? | Financial Sense
- Lucky Charms on Wall Street | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Elon Musk's Hyperloop Makes The Bullet Train Look Like A Steam Locomotive | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Watch Most Of The World's Airlines Avoid North Korean Airspace... | Business Insider
- The Best App For Taking Panoramas Magically Rotates Your iPhone For You | Business Insider
- Oracle Billionaire Larry Ellison Has Added This Charming Hawaiian Hotel To His Collection... | Business Insider
- How The Last Surviving Member Of The Enola Gay Justified Dropping... | Business Insider
- T-Mobile Likely to Reject Iliad's $15B Bid, Shares Should Benefit | TheStreet.com