Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Easy There, Lads | iBankCoin.com
- Rates May Stay at Zero Bound Longer with 2015 Dovish-Leaning FOMC | Financial Sense
- No More "Considerable Time" - Meet The New, "Patient" Fed | ZeroHedge
- Closing a Chapter, Opening an Old One Again | iBankCoin.com
- Philly Fed Crashes From 21-Year High; Employment, New Orders Collapse | ZeroHedge
- InfoPorn: The Many Phases of Silver | ZeroHedge
- Santa Yellen Arrives: Stock Buying-Panic Sparks Biggest Short Squeeze In Over 3 Years | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Warming leads to more run-ins with polar bears | Business Insider
- 'Impossible' for Saudi to reduce oil output: minister... | Business Insider
- So When Are Rates Rising? How to Handicap the Fed's Latest Message | TheStreet.com
- US cinemas cancel film parody of N.Korea leader after... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- General Mills Profit Falls 37% | Business Insider
- Aussies Smith, Johnson blast India bowlers to... | Business Insider