Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Crucial Employment Cost Index Growth Slows | ZeroHedge
- Crude Crumbles To Fresh Lows: $43 Handle | ZeroHedge
- The Fed Has Boxed Itself Into A Corner | ZeroHedge
- Will Draghi’s QE work? | Financial Sense
- Greece Slams EU Bailout-ers: "We Don't Want The $7 Billion, We Want To Rethink The Whole Program" | ZeroHedge
- "There Is No Reality Anymore..." | ZeroHedge
- What Happens When The Markets Realize This...? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- At least 12 killed in Pakistan Shiite mosque bombing | Business Insider
- Xiaomi Showed Its Customers A Map Of India That Made Them Furious | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- The 25 Most Valuable Cloud Computing Companies Are Worth Way More Than You'd Think... | Business Insider
- Amazon Still Has More Employees Than Microsoft And WAY More Robots (AMZN) | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Greece's New Finance Minister Is A Loose-Lipped Blogger And... | Business Insider