Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Facing Reality | ZeroHedge
- CNN Yesterday: Hillary Health Concerns 'Sexist'; CNN Today: Questions Trump's Health | ZeroHedge
- Cutting Through The Crap: The Ultimate Clinton-Trump Policy Cheatsheet | ZeroHedge
- A History Of Manufactured Regime Change And Civil Unrest: Is America Next? | ZeroHedge
- Over Half Of Hillary's Private Meetings As Secretary Were With Donors Who Paid $156 Million | ZeroHedge
- Four Iran Ships "Harassed" US Destroyer, Carried Out "High Speed Intercept" In Strait Of Hormuz | ZeroHedge
- Four More Mega-Banks Join The Anti-Dollar Alliance | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 14 of the craziest hotel pools around the world | Business Insider
- Trump campaign manager: The polls are wrong because we have '... | Business Insider
- Stephen Colbert investigates a notorious Republican conspiracy... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- How drones will change the world in the next 5 years | Business Insider
- The Raiders just made another big move in their push to relocate to Las Vegas | Business Insider
- A simple equation could help you decide whether to buy or rent a home | Business Insider