Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap October 23, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- French Unemployed Hits Record High, Hollande Demands EU Budget "Must Be Adapted" | ZeroHedge
- US Manufacturing PMI Tumbles, Biggest Miss In 14 Months | ZeroHedge
- Spanish Tenants Wake Up To The Horror Of A Wall Street Landlord | ZeroHedge
- It’s Important that You Retain This Information | iBankCoin.com
- Goldman Sachs Is Buying Carl Icahn's "High Yield Bond Bubble" | ZeroHedge
- Fastest Pace Of Withdrawals From JPM's Gold Vault In Over A Year | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- TIM COOK: ‘It’s Just A Matter Of... | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Twitter Needs to Show Mass Appeal to Really Win Over Wall Street | TheStreet.com
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Here's Why Ebola In NYC Is Nothing Like Ebola In Dallas | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- Williams blitzes Bouchard to keep Finals hopes alive | Business Insider