Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Says It Is Ready To Assume "World Leadership", Slams Western Democracy As "Flawed" | ZeroHedge
- Trump Fires Up Europe's Anti-Establishment Movement | ZeroHedge
- Runaway Credit Card Debt Makes 2017 Look Like 2007 | Financial Sense
- Nomi Prins Warns Financial Crash From Epic Debt, Asset Bubbles "Possible In Last Quarter 2017" | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Warns The Following Assets Are "Most Vulnerable To Substantial Repricing" | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: January 23 | ZeroHedge
- How To Predict The Behavior Of Globalists | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Watch Trump warmly greet FBI Director James Comey | Business Insider
- The SEC is investigating why it took so long for... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- This startup says its kooky, creepy Einstein robot could be the future of... | Business Insider
- US Military: Claims that we’re on combat missions with Russia are ‘... | Business Insider
- America's millennials stuck in their parents' basement may finally be able... | Business Insider
- Qualcomm plunges 12% on word of Apple's $1 billion lawsuit (QCOM,... | Business Insider