Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump To Sign "Energy Independence" Order Killing Obama's Climate Change Initiatives | ZeroHedge
- Investors Dump Euro Bonds, Shift Into US | Financial Sense
- Chinese Gold Miner Claims Discovery Of Largest Ever Gold Mine | ZeroHedge
- Did the Top for 1H17 Just Hit? | ZeroHedge
- Imagining a World After Fossil Fuels | Financial Sense
- Is Bank Lending a Concern? | Financial Sense
- Judicial Watch Releases New Huma Abedin Emails, Including Hillary Funeral Plans | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Ukrainian app maker hired an Apple veteran to reinvent... | Business Insider
- Fintech could be bigger than ATMs, PayPal,... | Business Insider
- This simple kitchen hack saves me a lot of time when I’m cooking | Business Insider
- Felony charges have been laid against 2 anti-abortion... | Business Insider
- ISIS has left sinister threats for Iraqi forces as it... | Business Insider
- Lyft founder's game plan for beating Uber: 'We're woke... | Business Insider
- The Democratic National Committee just asked all its staffers to resign | Business Insider