Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Proof That Golf And Economics Don't Mix | ZeroHedge
- 10 Things I Learned While Interviewing Tony Robbins About His New Book “Money” | Altucher Confidential
- Futures Soar On Surprise Chinese Rate Cut | ZeroHedge
- You’ve Been in This Business Too Long If... | ZeroHedge
- THE BEARS WIN | iBankCoin.com
- Bill Cosby And GATA | ZeroHedge
- THe PeoPLe'S KeYNe'S... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the... | StreetInsider.com
- 10 Surprising Things That Are Worth Less Than Apple | TheStreet.com
- Stocks Gain for Fifth Week as Central Banks Take Center Stage | TheStreet.com
- LA schools in huge child abuse settlement payout | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- University Of Virginia Suspends Fraternities Following... | Business Insider
- Brazil slams media 'manipulation' on Petrobras... | Business Insider