Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- WTF WTI | ZeroHedge
- What's Driving This Ramp? The Biggest Short Squeeze In 5 Years | ZeroHedge
- Yuan Tumbles, Stabilizes After Reuters Report China Willing To Weaken Currency To 6.80 | ZeroHedge
- Clinton's Plan For Millennials: Loan Forgiveness | ZeroHedge
- 'Ignorant Masses' Warn 'Elites' - "Go Ahead, Rise Up... But Be Careful What You Wish For" | ZeroHedge
- Move Over Oil – Lithium Is the Future of Transportation | Financial Sense
- Stocks Bounce, Bonds Bid, But Gold Soars To Best Year Since 1980 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 12 things every home should have | Business Insider
- I asked more than 20 healthcare leaders for their best career advice —... | Business Insider
- Things got odd in Ottawa when the leaders of Canada, Mexico, and... | Business Insider
- General Mills quarterly profit beats estimates as costs fall (<GIS.N>) | Business Insider
- It's been 100 years since the start of one of history's bloodiest battles | Business Insider
- UBS just launched a huge shake-up | Business Insider
- A Colorado state senator just blasted his alma mater for a 'Bias... | Business Insider