Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Playing the Chinese Trump Card | Financial Sense
- $7.1 Trillion In Global Sovereign Wealth Fund Assets: The Infographic | ZeroHedge
- Black(er) Monday Looms: Dow Futures Down 220 After J-Hole Speeches & China Fold | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- America’s Ballooning Student Debt: Lessons Learned From Chile | Financial Sense
- CaLLiNG ALL MuPPeTS... | ZeroHedge
- Manipulation = Fragility | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- LEADING OFF: Fiers to make 1st start since no-hitter | Business Insider
- Google is showing developers how to turn off iOS 9's security features... | Business Insider
- An Italian energy company says it just discovered what 'could become one of... | Business Insider
- Activists say IS damages ancient temple in Syria's... | Business Insider
- The weekend is over, and we're tumbling again (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- Tokyo wins Little League title, beating Lewisberry 19-11 | Business Insider
- Van Gaal rules out transfer remedy for Manchester United | Business Insider