Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Market Doesn’t Know How Stupid You Are | iBankCoin.com
- Sunday Matinee at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- The March Of War | iBankCoin.com
- French President Says "There Is Risk Of War" As Europe Plans Additional Russia Sanctions | ZeroHedge
- Ramp Up Your Weekly Market Preparation | iBankCoin.com
- The 'Wages-Fuel-Demand' Fallacy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Why Apollo Investment, Royal Bank of Canada Should Be in Your Portfolio | TheStreet.com
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the Day 8/29... | StreetInsider.com
- A Huge Change In The Fed's Forward Guidance Could Be Coming In September (DIA, SPY,... | Business Insider
- Ukraine soldiers in battle with Russian tanks in... | Business Insider
- Rick Perry's Account Deleted An Incendiary Tweet Mocking The DA At The... | Business Insider
- Trading Radar for 8/09: Big Lots (BIG) Reports | StreetInsider.com