Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Crude Tumbles Below $50 After Biggest Cushing Build Since Jan 2009 | ZeroHedge
- Declining Washington Post Desperately Attacks More Popular News Site | ZeroHedge
- The Biggest Gold Heist Of All Time | ZeroHedge
- Doom & Gloom? Perhaps Not | Financial Sense
- India Confiscates Gold, Even Jewelry, In Raids On Hidden Money | ZeroHedge
- Oil Prices Spike as OPEC Reaches Deal on Production Cut | Financial Sense
- Spot The Odd One Out | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- Germany's twisty new nuclear fusion machine just passed a critical test | Business Insider
- Jeff Fisher's latest contract extends one of the more bizarre NFL coaching... | Business Insider
- The world's largest food company is going after sugar — but it's missing the biggest... | Business Insider
- 15 things you should never say on your last day of work | Business Insider
- Newly-unearthed Mammoth remains could help reveal when humans first arrived in the... | Business Insider
- Colombia’s main coal railway, unions extend salary talks (... | Business Insider