Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- An Inadvertent Warning From BlackRock - Get Your Money Out Of Mutual Funds ASAP | ZeroHedge
- Strap In! China Is Crashing Again | ZeroHedge
- There Is One 'Small' Problem With The Crowdfunded Greek Bailout Campaign | ZeroHedge
- The US Constitution (2015 Edition) | ZeroHedge
- "Off The Grid" Indicators Suggest US Economy Not Ready For 'Liftoff' | ZeroHedge
- A 14 Year Old Explains Why Socialism Fails | ZeroHedge
- Weak Currencies Do Not Boost Exports, Study Finds | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Replacing doctor's visits with apps could save us $104 billion a... | Business Insider
- Bond insurers are getting smoked following the freak out in Puerto Rico | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Here's a quick guide to what traders are talking about this morning (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, IWM,... | Business Insider
- Here's why George Takei says ‘Star Trek’ fans are 'totally... | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- A Silicon Valley executive says this is the one decision that... | Business Insider