Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Glimpse Inside The FX "Cartel's" Chat Rooms | ZeroHedge
- The Ultimate Carry Trade: U.S. Banks Buying Treasuries | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: October 30 | ZeroHedge
- FOMC Ends The QE Dream, Keeps "Considerable" Period Hopes Alive - Full Statement Redline | ZeroHedge
- Alan Greenspan: QE Failed To Help The Economy, The Unwind Will Be Painful, "Buy Gold" | ZeroHedge
- Bad Debt At China's - And The World's - Largest Bank Surges By Most Ever | ZeroHedge
- Why We're Poorer: Inflation And Deflation Are Now Globalized | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Panera Bread Is Making 4 Changes To Restaurants To Get You To... | Business Insider
- What Are Traders Chatting About? The Japan-Induced 'Scalded-Dog' Formation... | Business Insider
- Suddenly, Businesses In Europe Are Starting To Feel Better About Everything | Business Insider
- SodaStream to close controversial West Bank plant | Business Insider
- US economy grew 3.5% in third quarter | Business Insider
- These States Have Reportedly Tried To Hide Scary Climate Data From The Public | Business Insider
- German Retail Sales Fall Through The Floor | Business Insider