Play the Groupon Earnings with Covered Calls
Shares are currently trading at $23.61 a share, and Call options that are expiring next Friday, February 17th are trading at a premium right now.
A good trade right now if you think GRPN shares are going to trade sideways or slightly up is to sell covered calls for the February 17th strike.
The $24 strike is trading at $1.30 right now and the $25 is trading at $.95.
Now, here are the risks: you'll be limiting your upside potential if Groupon has a great earnings call, (which we don't think is that likely at this point, so close to IPO). It's all about guidance at this point - if they guide way up, shares could take off. If they guide down shares could take a big hit. You also don't have that much downside protection if the floor falls out from under GRPN, although you should be able to set up a stop limit order.
I personally bought 500 shares and sold 5 of the $24 strikes at $1.30 for an "instant" profit of $650. That's a gain of 5% on selling call options that are going to expire a week out! So my downside break-even point is $22.31 and upside potential is $24 plus the Option Premium of $1.30, totalling $25.30.
If GRPN shares don't close above $24 by the time the options expire next Friday, I will probably just sell 5 more covered calls. It's a great way to generate income in your portfolio.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- CPI Prints Smallest Possible Increase In September Even As Beef Prices Surge 17% In 2014 | ZeroHedge
- The Recent Liquidation Avalanche As Explained By Dan Loeb, And Why He Is Back To Shorting Stocks Again | ZeroHedge
- How To Start A War, And Lose An Empire | ZeroHedge
- Save Yourself The $250,000: This Is What Bernanke Said Behind Closed Doors | ZeroHedge
- Who's Right? | ZeroHedge
- Short Seller Caught On Tape | iBankCoin.com
- MeeT ZeRo THe WHiTeHouSe GuaRD DoG... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- People Who Felt Tricked Into Thinking Vitaminwater Was A... | Business Insider
- Deans backs Cheika to fill Wallabies hot seat | Business Insider
- Outrageous Email Reveals How... | Business Insider
- Nadal crushes Herbert for Basel last-eight place | Business Insider
- 'The Avengers: Age Of Ultron' Trailer Leaks Online A Week... | Business Insider
- Giants rip Royals 7-1 in baseball World Series opener | Business Insider
- Your Jeans May Be Changing The Color Of Your iPhone 6 (AAPL) | Business Insider