The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Strong 7Y Auction Rounds Off Weekly Treasury Issuance | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Officially Begins: EU Receives Article 50 Notice From The UK; What Happens Next | ZeroHedge
- Dick Cheney: Russian Interference An "Act Of War" | ZeroHedge
- Foundation & Empire - Is Donald Trump 'The Mule'? | ZeroHedge
- House Committee Passes Bill To "Audit The Fed" | ZeroHedge
- Households' Equity Ownership Reaches 30% - It's Statistical Noise | Financial Sense
- Over 60% Of Republicans And Independents Believe Trump Was Surveilled By Obama | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Business Insider is hiring a video producer to join our growing news team | Business Insider
- How to lose friends and 'exfoliate' people — Trump's son-in-law, Jared... | Business Insider
- The company that owns Olive Garden just placed a $780 million bet on a tiny... | Business Insider
- Wall Street Journal staffers signed a letter criticizing the control... | Business Insider
- The world's biggest ad-buying firm has jumped on... | Business Insider
- GOP STRATEGIST: Trump is harming himself with Congress | Business Insider
- GOLDMAN: 3 reasons to sell Dunkin Donuts (DNKN) | Business Insider