The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Fed's Computer Model Of The US Economy "Sees Little Slack" (And A Big Clue From Gartman) | ZeroHedge
- Despite Weak Economic Data Overnight, Futures Slide On Rate Hike Concerns | ZeroHedge
- US Retaliates At China Escalation, Warns Sea "Sandcastles" May "Lead To Conflict" | ZeroHedge
- Is Gartman About To "Gartman" Himself? | ZeroHedge
- "This Divergence Is At The Root Of Most American Economic Problems" | ZeroHedge
- ABC's of the AIIB | Financial Sense
- Democracy Under Fire: Troika Looks To Force Greek Political "Reshuffle" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- More and more parents are bankrolling their adult children | Business Insider
- Virgin Atlantic CEO: We have a family-style atmosphere that simply isn'... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- The surprising danger of being good at your job | Business Insider
- Tuxedos, evening gowns 'de rigueur' at Cannes... | Business Insider
- Celebs are going crazy for this new health treatment that sounds like torture, and scientists say it... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (MCD, TWTR, WMT,... | Business Insider