The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- One Big, Fat, Ugly Bubble | ZeroHedge
- As China Slaps Fees On Bitcoin Trades, Japan Monthly Volumes Soar by 8,900% | ZeroHedge
- Dow Gives Up Inauguration-Day Gains, Dollar Dumps To Pre-Fed Rate-Hike Lows | ZeroHedge
- "Billion-Year" Gambian President Was Installed By The CIA | ZeroHedge
- The Six Stages Of Democrat Grief Are Complete | ZeroHedge
- JPM: "It Remains A Mystery Why So Many Continue To Anticipate A Change In Trump's Behavior" | ZeroHedge
- Gold Price Up Through 'Key' $1207 Level as 'Brexit Means UK Out of Single Market' | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The rise and fall of Joaquín 'El Chapo' Guzmán,... | Business Insider
- Trump Press Secretary berates media, makes dubious... | Business Insider
- Hotel guests are requesting rooms without views of Trump Towers... | Business Insider
- Patriots perfectly execute 34-yard flea-flicker to extend lead over... | Business Insider
- Here are all the people who made managing director at Morgan Stanley | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton allies are trying to get people to unfollow Trump on Twitter... | Business Insider
- The story of 'Slender Man' — the internet’s creepiest urban legend | Business Insider