The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Meet Solyndra 2.0: This US-Taxpayer-Subsidized Spanish "Renewables" Firm Is Collapsing | ZeroHedge
- Obama Authorizes "Defensive" Airstrikes Against Assad Regime In Syria | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Stocks Slide Again, Copper Tumbles To 6 Year Low; Greek Market Crashes After One Month Trading Halt | ZeroHedge
- What's The Difference Between Hillary, Snowden And Manning? | ZeroHedge
- Fed Finally Figures Out Soaring Student Debt Is Reason For Exploding College Costs | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Economy Crashes To 2-Year Low; China Stocks Plunge, Asian Stocks Test 2015 Lows | ZeroHedge
- Another One Bites The Coal Dust - Alpha Natural Files For Bankruptcy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The US Treasury still doesn't know what is going on in the... | Business Insider
- One statistic from Nintendo says everything about its newest console's flop | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (YHOO, FB, VZ, TWTR, MSFT) | Business Insider
- Construction spending barely budged in June | Business Insider
- The scariest part of climate change is what we don’t yet... | Business Insider
- The biggest stars on YouTube make huge incomes ... yet they can't keep the vast... | Business Insider
- Apple just lost the top spot in one of its most important markets (... | Business Insider