The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Saturday Cinema with Le Fly: Wrapping Up Orson Welles | iBankCoin.com
- FeaTHeReD VaRMiNT... | ZeroHedge
- Felix Zulauf: Asset Prices Will Continue to Inflate as China Joins the Party Next | Financial Sense
- Pentagon "Loses Track" Of Equipment From $750mm Bomb-Spotting Program, Finds On eBay & Craigslist | ZeroHedge
- Will Germany Build the Next Silicon Valley? | Financial Sense
- Crude Carnage & Hawkish Yellen Leave Dow In The Red For 2015 | ZeroHedge
- New World Order - Is Asia’s New Bank a Threat to Western Power and the U.S. Dollar? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Slack's security breach may be worse than it's letting... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Sorry, but there was never an oil storage crisis (USO, OIL) | Business Insider
- Prosecutors: Germanwings co-pilot hid illness from... | Business Insider
- A huge gamer convention that threatened to withdraw from Indiana over its 'anti-... | Business Insider
- Android One's early sales... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers... | StreetInsider.com