The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Haunting Pictures Of A Transportation Recession As Freight Rail Traffic Plunges | ZeroHedge
- Stunning Images Of Ramadi Show The Devastating Impact Of War | ZeroHedge
- Notorious Hacker Makes 'Bombshell' Claim: "I Got Inside Hillary's Completely Unsecured Server" | ZeroHedge
- Majority Of Germans Think The Media Is Controlled By Political, Economic Elites | ZeroHedge
- "Global LIBOR Scapegoat" Turns To Public Crowdfunding To Fund Appeal | ZeroHedge
- Podcast: Quantum Computing Takes Flight | Financial Sense
- Economist: US Won't Tip Into Recession Until 2019 (If the Fed Doesn't Mess Things Up) | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- I tried home-streaming new movies with the $150,000 setup the super-rich swear by | Business Insider
- A UPenn psychologist says there's one trait more important... | Business Insider
- One dead, one injured in a shooting at a... | Business Insider
- NATE SILVER: 'We basically got the Republican race wrong' | Business Insider
- Facebook completely tricked out its headquarters for 'Star Wars' Day (... | Business Insider
- Five must-know retail trends in mobile and social marketing... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek