The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How Americans Die | ZeroHedge
- ECB Moving Closer to Unconventional Policy | Financial Sense
- What Collateral Shortage? Collectible Cars Used As "Hard Assets" | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine "De-escalation" Voided As Pro-Russia Militia Refuse To Vacate Occupied Buildings | ZeroHedge
- 18 Stats That Prove That Government Dependence Has Reached Epidemic Levels | ZeroHedge
- U.S. to Foreign Officials: Stop Buying U.S. Treasuries | Financial Sense
- The Secret World Of Gold | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Iran Explains Why An American Plane Was... | Business Insider
- VIDEO INSIDER: 'Protect My... | Business Insider
- 39% Of Americans Believe Teleportation Will Happen In The Next 50 Years | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- This Military Robot Can Jump From The Sidewalk Onto A Roof | Business Insider
- It's Time To Stop Being Such A Restaurant Snob | Business Insider