The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- World Equity Market "Wealth" Crashes $6 Trillion Below 2007 Highs | ZeroHedge
- WTI Plunges Back Below $30 After Goldman "Teens" & IEA Excess-Supply Warning | ZeroHedge
- Is The American Dream Dead? | ZeroHedge
- Amid Low Oil Prices, OPEC's Divisions Deepen | Financial Sense
- China Explores Its Monetary Easing Toolkit | Financial Sense
- Worth Wray on the Single Most Dangerous Catalyst for a Global Financial Crisis | Financial Sense
- Abenomics Fails Miserably As Japan's Workers "Get Nothing" In 2015 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 hidden costs of owning a brownstone | Business Insider
- Consumer and retail news: 10 things you need to know today | Business Insider
- This tropical hotel lets you stay in luxurious beach bungalows feet above the... | Business Insider
- HSBC is being sued by the families of murder victims... | Business Insider
- Here's why you might be at risk of confessing to a crime you didn... | Business Insider
- 18 gorgeous pieces of 'Game of Thrones' fan art | Business Insider
- Japanese stocks are cratering as JGB yields... | Business Insider