The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russia Sends 10,000 AK-47s To Afghanistan As Government Mulls "Inviting" Moscow To Help Fight "Terrorists" | ZeroHedge
- How A Secretive Elite Created The EU To Build A World Government | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: A Hybrid War To Break The Balkans? | ZeroHedge
- Will Next Week Be The Start Of The Crash Of The US Dollar? | ZeroHedge
- "On The Cusp Of A Staggering Default Wave": Energy Intelligence Issues Apocalyptic Warning For The Energy Sector | ZeroHedge
- Has Deflation Been Defeated? | Financial Sense
- Oil Jobs Lost: 250,000 and Counting, Texas Likely to See Massive Layoffs Soon | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hawaii's breathtaking but illegal 'Stairway To Heaven' is in... | Business Insider
- Hogs, residents compete for Kansas county's water supply... | Business Insider
- No. 2 Alabama claims SEC West with 29-13 win over Auburn | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- RANKED: the best fast food in America | Business Insider
- 4 things every guy should tell his barber when he gets a haircut | Business Insider
- Oil countries only slowly warming to climate challenge | Business Insider