The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Does France Need A 21st Century Revolution? | ZeroHedge
- Movement to Declassify 9/11 Information Gathers Momentum ... 9/11 Commission Chairs and Congressmen Call for Declassification | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Dominates Globe in Biofuel Production | Financial Sense
- Here’s Why Women Feel Underemployed (Hint: It’s All in the Major) | Financial Sense
- More Sanctions: Europe Will Ban Purchase Of Russian Bonds; However Russian Gas Exports Remain Untouched | ZeroHedge
- Double Whammy China PMI Misses Spark Sell-Side Demands For More Stimulus | ZeroHedge
- The US Guide To Middle-Eastern Terror Groups (In 1 Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Pakistan military leaders to meet after deadly clashes | Business Insider
- Americans detained in N.Korea appeal for help | Business Insider
- Manchester United confirm Falcao loan swoop | Business Insider
- A Huge Change In The Fed's Forward Guidance Could Be Coming In September (DIA, SPY,... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- STEPHEN ROACH: The Current Speed Of Global Growth Comes With A Major... | Business Insider
- Cramer: Expect Selling and Don't Buy It | TheStreet.com