The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- All Japan, All the Time | Financial Sense
- Who is RBS? Royal BS... or the Royal Bank of Scotland | ZeroHedge
- “Dash For Trash” Screen | iBankCoin.com
- The New New York Housing Bubble: Park Avenue "Maids Quarters" Studio For $3.9 Million | ZeroHedge
- Saudi 'Religious Police' Warn Anyone Using Twitter Will Go To Hell | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: May 20 | ZeroHedge
- Gold's Best Day In 11 Months As Stocks Close Red - Only 8 Hours To Wait 'Til Tuesday Though | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Commutes Into NYC Will Be Delayed All Week After Friday's Train Crash | Business Insider
- 17 Lottery Winners Who Blew It All | Business Insider
- Now You Can Make An App For Google Glass In Just 15 Minutes (GOOG) | Business Insider
- The Koch Brothers Have Buried An Area The Size Of A City Block... | Business Insider
- What A Terrible Year So Far It's Been For BRICs Markets | Business Insider
- Everything We Know About The Next Xbox (MSFT) | Business Insider
- BMW Is Putting A Ton Of Power Into The 2014 M5 | Business Insider