The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Deflationary Indicators Yawn at Fed’s Growth Confidence | Financial Sense
- Why The US Is About To Be Flooded With Record Oil Production Due To Plunging Oil Prices | ZeroHedge
- Implications for the Stock Market and Gold with a Yen Rally | Financial Sense
- Draghi Now Has All the Ammunition He Needs for QE - Implementation Still a Problem | Financial Sense
- THe INTeRViEW... | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased Again in November | Financial Sense
- Spotlight on the Fed | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A 24-Year-Old Executive Created An Alarming New Model For Online Jihadists | Business Insider
- This Guy Helped Grow Salesforce's Revenues 160x — Here's Why... | Business Insider
- In London You Can Now Rent 'Well-Connected... | Business Insider
- 23 Geek-Worthy Science Gifts | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions 12/18: (PTRY... | StreetInsider.com
- How To Get The Perfect Shave At Home | Business Insider
- After-... | StreetInsider.com