The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Stocks Surge To 'Best' Streak In 86 years | ZeroHedge
- Global Business Confidence Collapses To Post-Lehman Lows | ZeroHedge
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
- Swiss Gold Initiative: Good Idea With Unintended Consequences | Financial Sense
- Burgers and Lock Ups | iBankCoin.com
- Frontrunning: November 25 | ZeroHedge
- Mapping Recent "Incidents" Between Russia And NATO | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Millennials Are Switching Off TV In Favor Of ... BuzzFeed | Business Insider
- Now, Anyone On Earth Can See A View Of Our Planet From Space In Real Time | Business Insider
- J.J. Abrams' Handwritten Note Confirms 88-Second 'Star Wars'... | Business Insider
- Canadian Solar (CSIQ) Announces Completion... | StreetInsider.com
- Slack, The Popular App That Aims To Replace... | Business Insider
- Iran nuclear deal deadline extended to July 1 | Business Insider
- What Are Traders Chatting About Right Now? Trading Volumes... (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider