The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Jim Bianco on Gold, Oil, and Why the Market Doesn't Care About Geopolitical Events | Financial Sense
- House Votes To Fund Arms To Moderate - For Now - Syrian Rebels (And Ex-Im Bank) - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Dramatic First-Person Video Of Attempted Gunpoint Robbery Courtesy Of GoPro | ZeroHedge
- The Good and the Bad Before BABA | iBankCoin.com
- The Perfect (Dollar) Storm – When Currencies Collide Part 2 | Financial Sense
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Check Out The Insane Lines That Have Already Formed For The iPhone 6 | Business Insider
- How to Position for a Turnaround at Oil Servicer McDermott | TheStreet.com
- That Time Larry Ellison Tore Bill Gates And Microsoft Apart... | Business Insider
- Amazon Just Paid Nearly $5 Million To Own The Entire '.Buy' Web... | Business Insider
- Forget The Hyperloop, Larry Page Wants Google To Build A Super-... | Business Insider
- The Incredible Life Of Oracle Billionaire Larry Ellison | Business Insider
- Why GT Advanced Technology's Decline Is as Clear as Sapphire Glass | TheStreet.com