The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Europe’s Survival Depends on Debt Restructuring, Not Growth | Financial Sense
- Saturday Cinema with Le Fly: Rules of the Game | iBankCoin.com
- Trading Oil For HFT Idiots: Lesson Complete | ZeroHedge
- "Massive Mis-Governance" - Q4 Obliterates The Case For QE And ZIRP | ZeroHedge
- Venezuela's Maduro Claims US Pilot Arrested For Espionage, Bans Bush, Cheney From Entering Nation | ZeroHedge
- Changing Trends: Stocks, Bonds, Gold, the U.S. Dollar, and Oil | Financial Sense
- 5 Things To Ponder: Weekend Catch Up | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jailed Kurdish leader in Turkey urges PKK to lay down... | Business Insider
- US oil rig count plunges to lowest since June 2011 (BHI, USO, OIL) | Business Insider
- LIVE: Warren Buffett's 50th letter to Berkshire... | Business Insider
- STOCKS FALL: Here's what you need to know (USO, OIL, IEP, WTW, AIG) | Business Insider
- 11 places that have the same name in Britain and America but look very... | Business Insider
- This is the main reason video games are so much better today than they... | Business Insider
- Meet Tworlds, an app that lets you see how your life... | Business Insider