The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Similarities Between Germany and China | Financial Sense
- Russia Deploys Troops, Robots Along Entire "2nd Middle East" Arctic Belt | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Obama The Great, The One True Indispensable Chief Of The NWO | ZeroHedge
- No Hard-Landing for China’s Economy for Now | Financial Sense
- The Most 'Distrusted' News Sources In America | ZeroHedge
- Short Seller Caught On Tape | iBankCoin.com
- How To Start A War, And Lose An Empire | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- The Occidental College Student Who Was... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Everything About The Way We Teach Math Is Wrong | Business Insider
- Here's A 10-Second Guide To What Traders Are Talking About Today | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Islamic State Militants Are Raking In $800 Million A... | Business Insider