The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- THE SUBPRIME U.S. ECONOMY: Disintegrating Due To Subprime Auto, Housing, Bond & Energy Debt | ZeroHedge
- Will Brexit Put the Bond Bull Out to Pasture? | Financial Sense
- Verizon Set To Buy Yahoo For $5 Billion | ZeroHedge
- Oil Rally Hopes Crushed as Inventories Hit All-Time High | Financial Sense
- World's Airlines Crashing At Worst Rate Since 2008 | ZeroHedge
- The Essence Of Trump's Appeal To The Flyover Zone: "We Are Not Winning Anymore" | ZeroHedge
- 18-Year-Old German-Iranian Is Behind Munich "Shooting Rampage" Which Killed 10 Including Gunman | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- IAN BREMMER: The level of interest in third... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Obama issues point-by-point rebuttal to Trump's RNC speech | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- After one day of 'Comic-Con,' 'Pokémon GO' in San Diego may be better than NYC... | Business Insider
- Apple says that Pokémon Go was downloaded more times in its... | Business Insider