The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bonds & Peso Slide As Fernandez Slams Holdouts For "True Aggression Against Argentina" | ZeroHedge
- High-Yield Credit Hits 10-Week Wides As Stocks Bounceback To Unch | ZeroHedge
- USDJPY Surge Sends Stocks Higher As Bond Yields Tumble | ZeroHedge
- Is This The Chart That Has High-Yield Investors Running For The Hills? | ZeroHedge
- Russia Slams "Puzzling And Unprecedented" $50 Billion Yukos Award, Challenges "One-Sided" Court Ruling | ZeroHedge
- Like Dripping Silver Icicles | Financial Sense
- Are Commodities Talking to Us? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Concept Bicycle Could Fit Inside A Backpack | Business Insider
- Why You Weigh Less In The Morning Than At Night | Business Insider
- WHITE HOUSE TO RUSSIA: Prepare To Get Whacked By The Worst Sanctions Yet | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- Former Yale Professor Says Ivy League Schools Are Churning Out 'Zombies... | Business Insider
- America's Poorest Shoppers Are Putting Discount Stores Out Of Business | Business Insider
- Two Former McDonald's Executives Are Leading A Fast-Food Revolution | Business Insider