The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bill Cosby And GATA | ZeroHedge
- The Need To Escape Collapsing Empires | ZeroHedge
- Markets Rally on Surprise Easing by China | Financial Sense
- Russia Can Survive An Oil Price War | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased Again in October | Financial Sense
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- 5 Things To Ponder: Rising Risk | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Fans Aren’t Impressed With The Trailer For George Lucas’s First Animated Movie 'Strange... | Business Insider
- Buffett and Other Billionaires Give Their Best Investing Advice | TheStreet.com
- This British Schoolboy Made £14,000 By Selling Sweets... | Business Insider
- What Are Traders Chatting About Right Now? The Impressive Markets... (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- Why Silicon Valley's Elites Are Obsessed With Poker | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton's Top Supporters Insist She Could Lose In 2016 | Business Insider
- Pacquiao beats Algieri to retain WBO welterweight title | Business Insider