The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Priming the Pump for Q3 Earnings | Financial Sense
- An Old Speculator’s Dilemma | iBankCoin.com
- Ron Paul Explains Why The "Scottish Referendum Gives Reasons To Be Hopeful" | ZeroHedge
- US Regulators Fear "Runs" From PIMCO's Systemic Risk As Outflows Soar To 12.5% Of Assets | ZeroHedge
- Russia Activates Air Defense Missile System "To Guard Its Southern Frontiers" | ZeroHedge
- Another Conspiracy Theory Becomes Fact: The Fed's "Stealth Bailout" Of Foreign Banks Goes Mainstream | ZeroHedge
- Europe, US Stocks Slide: 10 Year Bid Back Under 2.50% | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- 3 New Ways Companies Can Lead In The Digital World | Business Insider
- CDC Confirms First Case Of Ebola In The US | Business Insider
- Now There Are Only Nine US Restaurants With Three Michelin Stars | Business Insider
- David Cameron Wishes Britain Would Abandon The Metric System | Business Insider
- CHINESE MANUFACTURING KEEPS HUMMING | Business Insider
- Bentley's Flagship Mulsanne Sedan Just Got Meaner And Greener | Business Insider