The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Is The Source Of Today's Buying Panic: RBC Explains | ZeroHedge
- "People Need To Know The Real Hillary Clinton And How Dangerous She Is" | ZeroHedge
- August 15th - The Date Which Will Live In Monetary Infamy | ZeroHedge
- MythBusted - Rising "Not In Labor Force" Only Partly Due To Retiring Boomers | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Portfolio Strategy Analysis & Why ETFs Suck (Video) | ZeroHedge
- UK Labour Party Leader Corbyn Loses Vote Of No Confidence | ZeroHedge
- The Prison Of Peoples - France's Le Pen Calls For European 'Spring' | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 3 things you can learn from the most effective leaders on 'Game of... | Business Insider
- The most successful tech IPO of the year just rocketed up another 10% (TWLO) | Business Insider
- Take a look at the Panama Canal's historic transformation | Business Insider
- Cisco is spending $293 million to buy cloud security company CloudLock (CSCO) | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton on the Benghazi committee: It 'found nothing' | Business Insider
- The absurd life of Boris Johnson — the man who could be England’s next... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek