The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Similarities Between Germany and China | Financial Sense
- New Home Sales Miss, August Drastically Revised Lower | ZeroHedge
- When The Line Between Halloween & Real Life Terror Gets Blurred | ZeroHedge
- 100% of Mainstream Interest Rate Theory Is Wrong | Financial Sense
- Back-Rank Checkmate Potential | iBankCoin.com
- Why America Ranks 26th In The Developed World For Math (In 1 Common Core Question) | ZeroHedge
- NYC Ebola Patient's Condition Worsens As Fiancee Returns Home | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Supermodel Chrissy Teigen Quits Twitter After... | Business Insider
- This Is The Quintessential Banksy Work | Business Insider
- Luis Suarez starts for Barcelona in El Clasico | Business Insider
- Why Google's Job Interviews Never Last More Than 30 Minutes | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Legendary Headhunter Reveals The 3 Qualities Companies Seek In Would-Be CEOs | Business Insider