The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Happy Days Are Not Here Again | ZeroHedge
- A Worrying Set of Signals | Financial Sense
- Ep 134: Naveen Jain – The Billionaire Who Wants to Go To the Moon | Altucher Confidential
- Why Are You So Angry? | Financial Sense
- U.S. Spent Nearly $100 Billion On Foreigners To Fight Terrorists | ZeroHedge
- Europe Reveals How Accounts Will Be Frozen During the Next Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Peter Boockvar's Contrarian Play: Sell US Stocks, Buy Commodities and Emerging Markets | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A paralyzed man walked again using a new... | Business Insider
- Anti-violence programs shut down as Chicago shootings... | Business Insider
- Here's why you shouldn't pay attention to hotel stars | Business Insider
- It looks as if Obama is falling for 'the biggest myth out there' in Syria | Business Insider
- Flying has actually gotten much cheaper in the last 20 years | Business Insider
- Rupert Murdoch suggests Obama isn't 'real black... | Business Insider
- Embattled former oil minister asks Nigerians for prayers | Business Insider