The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Federal Reserve Accidentally Admits It Is Causing Inequality | ZeroHedge
- How To Create “Tiny Advantages” And Crush Your Opponents | Altucher Confidential
- Frontrunning: May 26 | ZeroHedge
- Former McDonalds CEO Crushes The Minimum Wage Lie: "It's Cheaper To Buy A Robot Than Hire At $15/Hour" | ZeroHedge
- "The Freeze Is Finished" - Why Did Saudi Arabia Kill OPEC? | ZeroHedge
- Obama: "World Leaders Are Rattled By Donald Trump" | ZeroHedge
- US Services PMI Tumbles, Misses By Most On Record "Dealing Blow To Q2 Rebound Hopes" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- THE PAYMENTS INDUSTRY EXPLAINED: The Trends Creating New Winners And Losers In The Card... | Business Insider
- 7 books every visionary leader should read | Business Insider
- Democratic senator trolls Donald Trump with bill that would... | Business Insider
- The Dodgers are promoting a dominant 19-year-old pitching prodigy they stumbled upon 3... | Business Insider
- The world's worst superbug has made its way to the US | Business Insider
- Facebook and Microsoft are building an undersea cable to move massive amounts of data... | Business Insider
- Eric Schmidt: Alphabet breaking up is 'as unlikely as anything I could imagine' (GOOG... | Business Insider