The 75% Chance Stocks Could Fall
Mastery favorite International Business Machines (IBM) latest conference call was a major downer. Worse yet when you look at the numbers the S&P 500 could be in for a pullback.
IBM is worth paying attention to, they just missed big. Here's the take away via WSJ.com:
But IBM is key the stock to watch for its impact not only on the Dow, but also on the S&P 500.
Analysts at Bespoke Investment Group point out IBM’s results have a fairly accurate track record of predicting the S&P 500’s future short-term move.
Dating back to 2001, IBM’s one-day stock move in reaction to earnings has been directly correlated to the S&P 500’s move over the ensuing five weeks about 75% of the time, including the last four quarters, according to Bespoke.
Assuming IBM’s declines hold, “it’s not looking good for the overall market in the next five weeks,” says Paul Hickey, co-founder at Bespoke.
We have all been warned. IBM closed down 5% today just a little over $200 a share.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Idea in Case We Get a Dirty Slam | iBankCoin.com
- The Italian Job: How Borrowing And Printing Lead To An Economic Dead End | ZeroHedge
- Novel Fuel Resources, the Force of Economics and the Renewed East–West Power Struggle | Financial Sense
- Cybercrime’s Global Costs | Financial Sense
- Gaza Truce Talks Over; Hamas Warns World To "Halt All International Flights To Israel" | ZeroHedge
- Philly Fed Business Outlook: Highest Six-Month Outlook in 22 Years | Financial Sense
- The Housing Bubble's Silver Lining | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why 'Authentic' Smilers Are Happier, Have Better Relationships, And Live Longer | Business Insider
- Salesforce.com Reports Earnings: A Solid Beat And It Has Raised Its Guidance For The... | Business Insider
- Must-See Charts: Still Time to Buy These 5 Stocks | TheStreet.com
- Four UPenn Students Built A Smart Thermometer To Help Parents... | Business Insider
- 11 Google Chrome Extensions That Will Boost Your... | Business Insider
- Everyware Global (EVRY) Unit to Unload U.K. Business | StreetInsider.com
- The 10 Best New Restaurants In America | Business Insider