Once again cue the VXX
Its that time yet again -- the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures TM ETN (VXX) just hit a fresh new 52-week low. You know the drill, its time to buy some VXX as a protection should fear and panic enter into the market (again).
We point this out every time it happens (click to review) and we stand by our recommendation of buying some VXX to hedge your portfolio. Of course the rally could keep going and volatility can continue to fall. However we are approaching the bottom of the VXX and its a big warning sign for traders and the Powers-that-be that control the market.
Fellow Masters we haven't seen volatility this low since 2011. That is when price changes were 1.3% between April and the end of December, twice the five-decade average, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Daily swings reached 4% in December 2008, data using 50-day moving averages compiled by Bloomberg show.
MASTERY Bottom line:
A bottom in the VXX can't be overlooked.
Let's pray it stays at this level for a while but when can you ever count on the market for stability.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- U.S. Consumer Spending: A Positive Surprise! | Financial Sense
- The Squeeze Continues... "Most Shorted" Stocks Are Screaming Higher | ZeroHedge
- Eyeing Pipeline, Russia Forgives North Korean Debt | ZeroHedge
- Japan Trade Deficit Largest in History; Imports Soar, Exports Barely Up | Financial Sense
- Russia Warns West "Remove Forces"; Begins Military Exercise On Ukraine Border | ZeroHedge
- Fighting Breaks Out As Ukraine Deploys Tanks, APCs, Troops In Slavyansk: Deaths Reported | ZeroHedge
- Thomas Piketty's "Sensational" New Book | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tim Cook Had A Really Interesting Answer For Why iPad Sales Appear To Be Stalling | Business Insider
- European Markets Recover, on a Dose of Pharmaceuticals | TheStreet.com
- IT'S APPLE EARNINGS DAY: Here's What Analysts Are Expecting (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Australia To Buy 58 More F-35 Fighter Jets For $11.6 Billion | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- The 11 Most Powerful Militaries In The World | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com