Once again cue the VXX
Its that time yet again -- the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures TM ETN (VXX) just hit a fresh new 52-week low. You know the drill, its time to buy some VXX as a protection should fear and panic enter into the market (again).
We point this out every time it happens (click to review) and we stand by our recommendation of buying some VXX to hedge your portfolio. Of course the rally could keep going and volatility can continue to fall. However we are approaching the bottom of the VXX and its a big warning sign for traders and the Powers-that-be that control the market.
Fellow Masters we haven't seen volatility this low since 2011. That is when price changes were 1.3% between April and the end of December, twice the five-decade average, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Daily swings reached 4% in December 2008, data using 50-day moving averages compiled by Bloomberg show.
MASTERY Bottom line:
A bottom in the VXX can't be overlooked.
Let's pray it stays at this level for a while but when can you ever count on the market for stability.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Operating in a "Shadow Rate" World - Fed Funds Closer to Negative 3% | Financial Sense
- China’s Economy Returns to Leading Asia Recovery | Financial Sense
- "Unrigged?" The Bulk Of Odd Lot Trades On US Exchanges Are 1-Share-Lots! | ZeroHedge
- Michael Bloomberg Calls Colorado A "Rural and Roadless" Backwater For Challenging His Gun Control Agenda | ZeroHedge
- Gallup Slams Lid On Hopes for US Economy | ZeroHedge
- Watching for Signs of U.S. Housing Market Activity | Financial Sense
- Some Thoughts on Slowing House Price Appreciation in the U.S. | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Salesforce Eliminates Newest Competitor In CRM Technology With $390 Million Purchase Of... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- 14 Examples Of LeBron James' Incredible Work Ethic | Business Insider
- At Least 40% Of Colleges Are In Denial About... | Business Insider
- We Visited Zendesk's Sleek New Office, Where Reception Doubles As A Bar | Business Insider
- The Cavaliers Are Going After Kevin Love, Trying To Build The NBA's Next Super Team... | Business Insider
- Unreleased Bill Murray Movie From 1984 Is Now On YouTube | Business Insider