Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Public Pension Time Bomb Is Starting to Explode | Financial Sense
- US 'Relocated' ISIS Terrorists Out Of Iraq, Into Syria To Fight Assad | ZeroHedge
- Greek Government Tells Tax-Burdened Self-Employed: "Go To Bulgaria" | ZeroHedge
- America’s 50-Pound Ball and Chain | Financial Sense
- World Gone Mad: Japanese Investors Edition | ZeroHedge
- Trump's 60-Second Guide To Getting Rich Quick (The Clinton Way) | ZeroHedge
- The WSJ Warns America: "You've Been Played" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Samsung has 'Grand Theft Auto' exploding phone video removed from YouTube... | Business Insider
- This app lets you rate your experience with police officers like Yelp... | Business Insider
- The 3 essential elements of unshakable confidence | Business Insider
- 55 facts you might not know about Google | Business Insider
- Facebook, Amazon, and Twitter... | Business Insider
- IT'S OFFICIAL: Nintendo will unveil its next video game console on Thursday morning | Business Insider
- Traditional banks may be in trouble due to digital banking | Business Insider