Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Federal Reserve to Test Negative Interest Rates | Financial Sense
- Little Flesh Wound for Oil Shorts, Feb. 12, 2016 (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Crushing The "Oil's Just A Supply Issue" Meme In 1 Painful Chart | ZeroHedge
- Oil Soars Most Since Feb 2009 On OPEC Production Cut Headline Redux | ZeroHedge
- How €3.5 Trillion In NIRP Debt Made Europe's Credit Market "Most Vulnerable Since Lehman" | ZeroHedge
- Artist's Impression Of Hillary's Inauguration | ZeroHedge
- The Urban Bubble in Commercial Real Estate | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A New York sweets shop is making this crazy tie-dye macaron ice cream sandwich | Business Insider
- Stocks are now down about 15% — how much further could they fall? | Business Insider
- 'Deadpool' is already... | Business Insider
- The best ramen shops in America | Business Insider
- Who you're most likely to marry based on your job | Business Insider
- America's obesity rate just surged to a new high | Business Insider
- Shake Shack's millionaire founder Danny Meyer says he'll only... | Business Insider