Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is the Dollar’s Major Bull Run Over? | Financial Sense
- The Death of Free Speech: The West Veils Itself | ZeroHedge
- Debt Is Growing Faster Than Cash Flow By The Most On Record | ZeroHedge
- "It's Hard To Believe" - Establishment Stunned As Trump Gains 'Wealthy, Well-Educated' Voters | ZeroHedge
- How To Quit Your Job the Right Way | Altucher Confidential
- Atlanta Fed Unveils First Q2 GDP Forecast, Sees 1.8% Growth, 0.5% Below Wall Street Consensus | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap Apr 28, 2016 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Several major companies are joining forces to push the government... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (FB, YHOO) | Business Insider
- These types of American births have dropped dramatically in the... | Business Insider
- Here's how marketers are using different mobile... | Business Insider
- The Patriots sent a clear Deflategate message to Roger... | Business Insider
- Top NFL prospect tumbles down first round of draft after a video of him... | Business Insider
- Curt Schilling blasts ESPN, says they have 'some of the biggest racists' on... | Business Insider