Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Mid-term Election Cycle Forecasts April Market Peak | Financial Sense
- An End To Austerity? | ZeroHedge
- How Will Volcker Rule Affect Markets? | Financial Sense
- Weekend Video Analysis 03/08/14 | iBankCoin.com
- Nobel Peace Prize Winning Caption Contest | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Understanding Why It Feels Different This Time | ZeroHedge
- What 10-Baggers (And 100-Baggers) Look Like | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A College Student Has Figured Out How To Grow Food Using Your Old... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- I ♥ New York Logo Designer Made A Gorgeous Psychedelic 'Mad Men' Season 7 Poster | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Here's How Tesla Is Doing in China | TheStreet.com
- North Korean-Flagged Tanker Docks At Seized... | Business Insider
- Here's How 2 Passengers Were Able To Board The... | Business Insider