Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "We Are Gone... Now!" - Dennis Gartman Stopped Out As Oil Surges | ZeroHedge
- Valeant Dead-Cat-Bounce Dies As Stock Plunges 10% Off Morning Highs | ZeroHedge
- Crude Slides After API Reports Another Huge Inventory Build At Cushing | ZeroHedge
- NATO Backs Turkey's Version Of Events, Calls For "Calm & De-Escalation" | ZeroHedge
- It Might Be A "Services Economy" But Manufacturing Drives Recessions | ZeroHedge
- You Stupid, Stupid Boy! (Education of an Investor) | ZeroHedge
- 5 Signs Of America's Decaying Society | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The single-most important determinant of long-term... | Business Insider
- The French and British air forces are hunting for a Russian submarine off the Scottish... | Business Insider
- I was skeptical about virtual reality until I watched this horrifying interactive... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- German business confidence rises in November: Ifo | Business Insider
- Tourism officials meet in Paris to assess impact of... | Business Insider
- This 14-year-old just set a new world record by solving a... | Business Insider