Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Frack Master" Busted For Blowing Investor Cash On "Whore Card" | ZeroHedge
- Venezuela, Look to Ecuador and Dollarize | ZeroHedge
- US Shale Producers Just Won Their Biggest Legal Case in Years | Financial Sense
- Deutsche Bank: "There's No Escaping The Fact That This Is A Class War" | ZeroHedge
- TRUMPism and political multi-culturalism post Brexit | ZeroHedge
- Existing-Home Sales in May Highest Pace in 9 Years | Financial Sense
- Currency Carnage Continues: Cable, USDJPY Tumble As FX Markets Open | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- People are spending less at restaurants... | Business Insider
- Why you should avoid having a 'work spouse' at the office | Business Insider
- These abandoned Mayans cities hold an alarming prophecy for today... | Business Insider
- Tell us the worst career advice you've ever gotten | Business Insider
- 7 insights about getting rich buried inside Benjamin Franklin's 250-... | Business Insider
- The best movies and TV shows coming to Amazon, iTunes... | Business Insider
- California police are investigating a violent clash... | Business Insider