Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Despite Record Highs, Brexit Still A Losing Bet For Dollar Investors | ZeroHedge
- DNC Asks Entire Staff For Resignation Letters | ZeroHedge
- Over 60% Of Republicans And Independents Believe Trump Was Surveilled By Obama | ZeroHedge
- Forget ObamaCare, RyanCare, and any Future ReformCare—the Healthcare System Is Completely Broken | Financial Sense
- Buchanan On The Ryancare Route: Winning By Losing? | ZeroHedge
- Trump's Border Wall May Force Government Shutdown | ZeroHedge
- Billionaire Slashes Asking Price For Beverly Hills Mega- Mansion By A Third, Or $66 Million | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Trump signals support for another run at repealing Obamacare | Business Insider
- The Democratic National Committee just asked all its staffers to resign | Business Insider
- 26 fascinating things you never knew about Queen Elizabeth II | Business Insider
- 'They don't have a clean chicken nugget!':... | Business Insider
- The 11 best countries to live in around the world | Business Insider
- A peculiar statue of Cristiano Ronaldo is being... | Business Insider
- A success coach explains how to reprogram the mental patterns keeping you from building wealth | Business Insider