Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Events Continue to Conspire Against The Fed | Financial Sense
- China Races To Rescue Stocks As Margin Mania Unwind Wreaks Havoc | ZeroHedge
- A Short History: The Neocon "Clean Break" Grand Design & The "Regime Change" Disasters It Has Fostered | ZeroHedge
- Train Carrying Toxic Gas Derails In Tennessee, Catches Fire; Thousands Evacuated | ZeroHedge
- Tsipras Will Not Back Down On Referendum: Media Report | ZeroHedge
- The Best And Worst Performing Assets In June And The First Half Of 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Pre-Blame-Game Begins: Fed's Brainard Fingers HFT For "Amplifying Market Shocks" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- It turns out the NSA was collecting voice... | Business Insider
- US Episcopal Church approves same-sex marriages | Business Insider
- The 1,200 Microsoft sales staffers offered jobs... | Business Insider
- Wages whiff | Business Insider
- Venture capitalist John Doerr: 'we are very... | Business Insider
- Here are the most damning parts of the report on the F-35's... | Business Insider
- Britain will hold a minute's silence for Tunisia... | Business Insider