Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Everything Hinges on Inflation (Expectations) | Financial Sense
- It's All Generally Relative | Financial Sense
- Insanity In Japan | ZeroHedge
- "What The F**k Was That?" | ZeroHedge
- Why A "Dollar" Should Only Be A Name For A Unit Of Gold | ZeroHedge
- Why I'm Supporting The "Demonic Creature That Emerged From The Depths Of Hell" In This Year's Election | ZeroHedge
- Yen Plunges On Yet Another Strawman Headline About Stimulus, Then Surges On Denial | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Pokémon Go has been dethroned as the... | Business Insider
- Bloomberg rips Trump with brutal DNC speech: 'The richest thing about Donald... | Business Insider
- 'We do not believe that Freddie Gray killed himself': Prosecutor... | Business Insider
- Personalization is the primary end goal of data-driven... | Business Insider
- A Wall Street investor is trying to cash in on one of China’s most pressing problems... | Business Insider
- I just left New York City — here are 11 ways the move has saved me money | Business Insider
- Stephen Colbert created a cartoon Hillary Clinton and asked her some... | Business Insider