Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- General Market Topics Discussion (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche Bank Stock Slides After "Cutting Off" 3,400 "Non-Strategic" Trading Clients | ZeroHedge
- 70% Of Immigrants Admitted Under Obama's "Minor Refugee" Program Are Actually Adults | ZeroHedge
- House Quietly Passes Bill Targeting "Russian Propaganda" Websites | ZeroHedge
- Using Deception Technology in the Race Against Cybercrime | Financial Sense
- Trump Confirms Retired Marine General "Mad-Dog" Mattis Will Be America's Next Secretary Of Defense | ZeroHedge
- Stripped of Accounting Gimmicks, the US Has Been on the Verge of Recession since 2011 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Move over, Vine — people are raking in thousands of dollars a week on a new video app | Business Insider
- US Marine Corps video shows 'the most powerful concentration of combat power... | Business Insider
- Conservatives are worried Trump's Carrier deal could set a... | Business Insider
- Walmart's new gas-and-grocery hybrids could become a major threat to Amazon and... | Business Insider
- STOCKS SAW A MIXED DAY: Here's what you need to know | Business Insider
- Take a look inside WeWork's newest location, which straddles historic New... | Business Insider
- A serial entrepreneur reveals her 3 key... | Business Insider