Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chicago's Plight: Why Do Blacks Perpetually Vote For Politicians Who Make Their Lives Worse? | ZeroHedge
- Medical Care Costs Are Skyrocketing! | Financial Sense
- The Problem With Helicopter Money | Financial Sense
- Foreign Buying Plummets In Vancouver: Sales To Foreigners Crash 96% | ZeroHedge
- 26 Incredible Facts About The Economy That Every American Should Know Before The Trump-Clinton Debate | ZeroHedge
- Household Net Worth: The “Real” Story | Financial Sense
- Merkel Caves To Pressure On Migrant Policy: "Germany Has Done Enough", As Support For AfD Hits All Time High | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Mexican oil tanker went up in flames on... | Business Insider
- You won’t recognize the new world of digital payments without... | Business Insider
- This professional bridesmaid says losing her job as a copywriter was one of the best... | Business Insider
- Twitter needs to sell now or risk becoming another Yahoo (TWTR, YHOO) | Business Insider
- 'This is not a normal election year': New York Times... | Business Insider
- 10 entrepreneurs share their top ideas for creating... | Business Insider
- GOLDMAN: Trump vs. Clinton is the biggest fight since... | Business Insider