Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- America's Bubble Economy Is Going To Become An Economic Black Hole | ZeroHedge
- Abenomics 101 - The 15 Most Frequently Asked Questions | ZeroHedge
- Bill Black: Our System Is So Flawed That Fraud Is Mathematically Guaranteed | ZeroHedge
- Headed for Euphoria | Financial Sense
- A Close Examination of the Reversal | Financial Sense
- Chart of the Day: Existing Home Sales | Financial Sense
- Mystery Surrounding Collapse Of Hong Kong Mercantile Exchange Deepens; Four Arrested | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- U.S. Mobile Commerce Grows Nearly Three Times Faster Than Desktop E-Commerce | Business Insider
- ROGOFF: There's No Magic Keynesian Bullet That'll Save Europe | Business Insider
- Why The Internet Is A Black Hole For Your Brain | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- UK Scrambles Fighter Jets After Pakistan Flight Diverted | Business Insider
- S&P Poised for Three-Day Losing Streak Amid QE Wind-Down Chatter | TheStreet.com
- Investors Are Borrowing Like Crazy To Leverage Up Their Stock Market Bets | Business Insider