Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fed Extends Closing Time Of First POMO By 15 Minutes | ZeroHedge
- Gold and Silver Stocks Are for Losers | iBankCoin.com
- US Gets Involved In Another Foreign Conflict, Will Support French Troops In Central African Republic | ZeroHedge
- These Stocks Are Dressed for Today’s Market Occasion | iBankCoin.com
- BofAML Warns 'Bad Breadth' May Spoil 2014's Stock Market Party | ZeroHedge
- Lloyd Blankfein And The "Mega-Wealthy" Are Rushing To Buy Into This $1 Billion Miami Condo | ZeroHedge
- Things That Make You Go Hmmm... Like "Nothing Being What It Seems" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ericsson: Biometric Smartphones Will Go Mainstream Next... | Business Insider
- INFOGRAPHIC: What The Color Of Your Pee Says About You | Business Insider
- The Most Outrageous Works We Saw At Art Basel Miami Beach [PHOTOS] | Business Insider
- Apple Will Disrupt and Destroy When It's Ready | TheStreet.com
- I've Never Had A Meeting With A Female Auto Executive | Business Insider
- PRESENTING: The Only Way To Wrap Your MacBook Power Cord | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek